PDA

View Full Version : Windows up or down

dads tractor
11th January 2015, 01:13 PM
Guys just want to get a idea on who's for what when tackling gnarly tracks regarding where you have your window up down or in between . You see a lot of guys with them down and hanging outside the cab ;I for 1 am all for window up and using mirrors as I lost a mate crossing a gutter at 5 k /hr when his vehicle rolled and his head was thrown outside the window . Over to you .

4bye4
11th January 2015, 01:18 PM
Wheeling or track - windows up or net. Just my opinion.

the evil twin
11th January 2015, 01:31 PM
With very very few exceptions, Up... unless your a redneck, then down is better for the human gene pool.

Came across a dude and his mates one day, years ago now, up in the NT.
Apparently dude was getting his ego massaged by hanging out the window, gunning it and doing doughies etc on the gravel plain when the tyre threw a rock or something up and opened up his scalp like a surgeons knife.
Blood everywhere and no Med Kit or anything, unfortunately he wouldn't let us finish the lobotomy.
I thought it was a waste of good First Aid but the Missus always was a soft touch.

threedogs
11th January 2015, 01:33 PM
up everyday of the week,
Heard of a guy over Tom Price way years agos lost an arm when it hit a tree
Wouldnt even bother with a net

megatexture
11th January 2015, 02:02 PM
Mine depends of the risk of stuff entering the car be it dust in a convoy, water or mud. So 80 % window up lol

BigRAWesty
11th January 2015, 02:39 PM
It depends.
Summer, gale force winds etc up.
If it's nice outside why not enjoy it.

But always seatbelt on..

threedogs
11th January 2015, 02:40 PM
Dont even think about having the window half up either ,
cause if you fall off a rut or similar it will chop the top of you ear off or worse,
You can always crack open the rear windows if heat or dust is an issue.
Not many 4x4 courses mention this in their training, but common sense I think
We have a track at Tallarook where you can touch the bank with your elbow

Sir Roofy
11th January 2015, 02:50 PM
Up dont like being hit by bugs and small branchs

Clunk
11th January 2015, 02:57 PM
All the windows open with arms and legs hanging out of each window..... Yeah baby

Sir Roofy
11th January 2015, 03:00 PM
all the windows open with arms and legs hanging out of each window..... Yeah baby

thats so wrong

4bye4
11th January 2015, 03:11 PM
Wheeling or track - windows up or net. Just my opinion.

Additional to my earlier post. Up;
Helps keep things like arms and heads inside the car if there is and accident.
Helps to keep things like bugs and bits of tree and rocks outside the car. Easy to loose control if there is a bee or spider biting your face.
Helps to maintain the strength of the door frame in the event of a rollover or impact on the roof.

Clunk
11th January 2015, 03:25 PM
thats so wrong

yep, don't like jumping on the band wagon.

I don't like sitting in a car with air con on and windows shut if I don't have to, so most of the time window WILL be open at various degrees of openness. I go out on the tracks to enjoy being out and enjoy the weather, I don't go out to be cocooned in a bloody shell ......... there's always going to be ifs buts and maybes in all aspects of what we do.........

Winnie
11th January 2015, 03:32 PM
Depends what were doing... If it's a dusty track windows will be up but otherwise it's windows down usually...
Keep your limbs inside, not hard.

lucus30
11th January 2015, 03:34 PM
I like the window down myself but with all body parts inside the car with seat belts on

Bob
11th January 2015, 03:39 PM
I like the window down myself but with all body parts inside the car with seat belts on

Agree Seat Belts a must.
Usually drive with Windows down and Body inside unless the track becomes challenging and then Windows up.
Most of my Driving in the High Country is Sight Seeing on reasonable tracks.

happygu
11th January 2015, 03:46 PM
yep, don't like jumping on the band wagon.

I don't like sitting in a car with air con on and windows shut if I don't have to, so most of the time window WILL be open at various degrees of openness. I go out on the tracks to enjoy being out and enjoy the weather, I don't go out to be cocooned in a bloody shell ......... there's always going to be ifs buts and maybes in all aspects of what we do.........

You must have been on your best behaviour with me in your truck then .....

happygu
11th January 2015, 03:47 PM
Usually up for most of the harder stuff ..... always nice to have your windows open for a deep river crossing though so you get take a sip halfway through.....

dads tractor
11th January 2015, 03:55 PM
Interesting to get peoples point of view and mate had his belt on and was just going to shut a gate his head was out through the window and curtains .Saddest thing was witnessed by family and friends on a deck .

Clunk
11th January 2015, 03:59 PM
You must have been on your best behaviour with me in your truck then .....

always on my best behavior Mic ;)

threedogs
11th January 2015, 04:19 PM
Once you've been flicked on the cheek a few times on over grown tracks you'll wind the window up
you have no control over your body movement if getting flicked side to side,
but if some want to drive with the window down so be it, it all boils down to what you think is safe I suppose
Young kids in the car its windows up. All depends on the track

threedogs
11th January 2015, 04:20 PM
Usually up for most of the harder stuff ..... always nice to have your windows open for a deep river crossing though so you get take a sip halfway through.....

Good to have your windows down for water crossings
cause if things go pear shaped you can get out

Clunk
11th January 2015, 04:31 PM
Once you've been flicked on the cheek a few times on over grown tracks you'll wind the window up
you have no control over your body movement if getting flicked side to side,
but if some want to drive with the window down so be it, it all boils down to what you think is safe I suppose
Young kids in the car its windows up. All depends on the track

if you have no control over your body movement then maybe you should think about adult nappies

threedogs
11th January 2015, 05:10 PM
wow thats what you took from that amazing how some minds work

Clunk
11th January 2015, 05:19 PM
wow thats what you took from that amazing how some minds work

as it happens I have been asked to donate my brain for scientific research.......... might have something to do with all those times I was slapped in the face by wayward shrubs due to driving with my window down

mudnut
11th January 2015, 05:22 PM
I had the windows down for the beachport trip, because I forgot I have fitted a filter between the fan and the aircon. DOH!

Bloodyaussie
11th January 2015, 05:24 PM
I like to drive with the window 3 inches down with the aircon on half power with a third a tank if petrol and listening to Nick Cave. ..... but only if driving on a Tuesday.

TPC
11th January 2015, 05:37 PM
I always have the window up as this what was required in the 4wd training I did and all mine sites I have worked at have a window up rule.

Winnie
11th January 2015, 05:38 PM
I lik3 to drive withthe window 3 inches down with the aircon on half power with a third a tank if petrol and listening to Nick Cave. ..... but only if driving on a Tuesday.

You reckless bastard! Thursday maybe... But Tuesday?? Have you no respect?!

moeshell
11th January 2015, 06:13 PM
Nick Cave??? Now that's just sick

Bloodyaussie
11th January 2015, 07:47 PM
Nick Cave??? Now that's just sick

Nothing wrong with Nick Cave mate... better than barnsy...?

Clunk
11th January 2015, 07:52 PM
Nothing wrong with Nick Cave mate... better than barnsy...?

better than Farnsy too

Bloodyaussie
11th January 2015, 08:03 PM
You reckless bastard! Thursday maybe... But Tuesday?? Have you no respect?!

Sorry mate Thursday is definitely Pearl Jam... the early stuff and Saturday arvo is Pearl jam the current stuff but then I like the window all the way down.

Winnie
11th January 2015, 08:05 PM
You're a bad influence on me

Clunk
11th January 2015, 08:07 PM
You're a bad influence on me
you're just easily led

P4trol
11th January 2015, 08:15 PM
For me it really depends on the situation. Most of the time it's comfort, and others common sense.

If you're getting flicked in the face, shut the windows.

I remember when young, and rolled a car on a dirt road, I had my arm resting on the sill of the open window. As the car rolled, I thought "Better bring that arm in!" and after getting out of the upside down car, my elbow was bleeding. It must have touched the ground (nothing else hurt). You don't always have the luxury of that "time standing still" moment. Most people get hindsight though.

So as people have pointed it's common sense to the situation. If the misses wants it shut for the air con, shut the window!

Clunk
11th January 2015, 08:23 PM
For me it really depends on the situation. Most of the time it's comfort, and others common sense.

If the misses wants it shut for the air con, shut the window!

yeah bollox to that, my car my rules, my music............. I don't get a say in hers, she doesn't get a say in mine hahahahaha

Alitis007
11th January 2015, 08:49 PM
I'll generally have the window up if I'm out of the car but down when I'm in it and the sunroof open with the air con on......

Drewboyaus
11th January 2015, 08:52 PM
Yeah I really like belting out show tunes from Beeches with the window down as we bounce up the knarliest track we can find so everyone out there can share in my general indifference to the rain falling......

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bulbous
11th January 2015, 09:22 PM
Windows UP. Too many flies swarming around in the car otherwise.

Clunk
11th January 2015, 09:31 PM
Windows UP. Too many flies swarming around in the car otherwise.

I just hang up a couple of these, work a treat http://www.bunnings.com.au/trap-the-buzz-fly-paper-glue-trap-8-pack_p3010322

Alitis007
11th January 2015, 09:39 PM
I just hang up a couple of these, work a treat http://www.bunnings.com.au/trap-the-buzz-fly-paper-glue-trap-8-pack_p3010322

Amazingly a pest like you doesn't get stuck

Clunk
11th January 2015, 09:41 PM
Amazingly a pest like you doesn't get stuck

Im teflon coated

Clunk
11th January 2015, 09:52 PM
I always have the window up as this what was required in the 4wd training I did and all mine sites I have worked at have a window up rule.

funny you should say that, driving with windows was never a requisite on the course that I did........ I shan't name names but if you think about a certain Greek philsopher and what he said when he stepped out of a bath, then you'd be right

Alitis007
11th January 2015, 09:53 PM
Im teflon coated

You're a greasy old sod arnt ya mate!?

Clunk
11th January 2015, 09:59 PM
You're a greasy old sod arnt ya mate!?

that's Mr Greasy Old Sod to you nobhead

P4trol
11th January 2015, 11:18 PM
I think it's funny that a few years ago windows up/down wouldn't have been a big talking point.

It would have been "those new electronic controlled engines with soft Koch drivers and electric windows" "Are electric windows too dangerous for 4wding?!"

outback
12th January 2015, 01:21 AM
Besides the humour here:

Windows up or down who cares so long as you are inside the car/vehicle shell on that rollover you did not intend on doing.

Many years ago when 4x4 driving was in its baby days had a Fiat 500.. Yep heavily modded version; 2 parts menthol benzene to 2 parts super petrol, super cool plugs, all 2 of them as well.

Use to drive from Ballarat to Adelaide at 60 MHP and drove most of the distance with out any gap in the points. They were fully closed. Bugger to start but after a few miles back to no point gap. Fast as any other vehicle on the road back then.

As for life saving gear full racing harness.. Yes the little bomb hit the off roads and paddocks. Also had a sun roof. So not advised to fall out that way either.
Full harness saved me and I wont change.

The current lap-sash safety belts are a piece of crap vs full harness.

Windows open or closed your choice BUT make sure you can control your body bits when it rolls with your windows open.. Not always possible..

Drive safe, drive with care.

outback
12th January 2015, 01:25 AM
I think it's funny that a few years ago windows up/down wouldn't have been a big talking point.

It would have been "those new electronic controlled engines with soft Koch drivers and electric windows" "Are electric windows too dangerous for 4wding?!"

Its less of windows being up or down, but more of what the idiot hangs out that window, e.g. arm, head, etc.

Fundamentally its either up or down not part/half way with window openings.

TimE
12th January 2015, 10:37 AM
Out of the water it is always windows up, seat belts on. When crossing deepish water the downstream window is down (have electric windows so just in case there is a short and I need to bail out).

Our Club training (to full accreditation standards) recommends windows up, or if you must all the way down, part way down is asking to have your head smacked hard on the window edge.

Avo
13th January 2015, 01:37 AM
fine then..i'll drive around with the front one up and the back ones downs..that should settle it..music on low with the base up high..aircon and the heaters on at the same time..

93patrol
13th January 2015, 01:54 AM
Depends on how wet the track is. Muddy as hell windows up. Dry and dusty windows down.

Rolling the car in wet mud. Windows down. :)

Avo
13th January 2015, 02:45 AM
Depends on how wet the track is. Muddy as hell windows up. Dry and dusty windows down.

Rolling the car in wet mud. Windows down. :)

I don't now how you bought a PAJ with that attitude`

Patrol'n
13th January 2015, 09:05 PM
Used to like windows down, but now after branches flicking me, and a fair quantity of sand pouring into a mates trol recently, I'm liking windows up...

04OFF
13th January 2015, 09:46 PM
While obviously there is a for and against argument for windows up or down, there are so many different situations off road ,you can not cover them all, so i don't think there is right or wrong as such, but i thought i would share my thoughts having rolled my car , I can honestly say the first thing that entered my mind initially after the car came to rest upside down, was to get out and away from the vehicle as fast as i can (in case it was on fire).

Being able to pop the seat belt and jump out a already open window in a second was a great relief , if I would have had to dick around upside down looking to attempt to get a door open or fumble for the right window switch, this would have wasted time and would have made me panic more.

The other time I was a passenger in a vehicle that rolled, we ended up in a ditch wedged up against a hedge, again, none of the doors were of any use to us, and everyone had to exit through a window pushing past the hedge.

After these personal experiences, I don't think id want my previously most valuable and fasted exit point (the drivers window) to be "closed".

93patrol
13th January 2015, 11:16 PM
Have to agree with you 4off. When I had my roll my window was down and I think that's one of the things that kept me calm

Although if it was closed I reckon I would have been agry enough to kick the windscreen out haha

hsinlee
9th February 2015, 03:46 AM
All the windows open with arms and legs hanging out of each window..... Yeah baby

i am sure you're making joke, my friend.

snakessou
9th February 2015, 02:10 PM
family rules, fully up or fully down. when i say up it means now.
but in saying this, no hard 4x4 with the family in the car.

mudski
9th February 2015, 02:22 PM

Clunk never jokes around mate.

Clunk
9th February 2015, 03:55 PM

Clunk never jokes around mate.

Yep, I never ever joke around.... I'm always deadly serious

liftlid
10th February 2015, 09:09 AM
River crossings? Windows up or down?

Winnie
10th February 2015, 09:59 AM

I put mine up so I don't get water in the car! Hahaha

mudski
10th February 2015, 03:10 PM

Depth and also weather depending. Cold weather. Closed. Hot weather, open. Depth depending again...

Winnie
10th February 2015, 03:28 PM
Do any of you really think about the position of your windows when 4x4ing for safety?
If you do, I don't think you're having enough fun.

I close my windows if it's really dusty or I'm gonna get wet. Otherwise they're open.

BigRAWesty
10th February 2015, 03:46 PM
Do any of you really think about the position of your windows when 4x4ing for safety? If you do, I don't think you're having enough fun. I close my windows if it's really dusty or I'm gonna get wet. Otherwise they're open.

Amen. If is nice outside. Windows down.
If it's really really cold or hot. Or wet then up.

My missus has been caught out though. Covered herself in mud once lol. Was bloody funny fr the passenger seat

Clunk
10th February 2015, 04:45 PM
Not that i go through rivers but having electric windows, I think I'd be having them down just incase I need to escape quickly. But I guess that would also be dependent on depth of said river

BigRAWesty
10th February 2015, 05:01 PM
Not that i go through rivers but having electric windows, I think I'd be having them down just incase I need to escape quickly. But I guess that would also be dependent on depth of said river

Would be good if said windows worked lol

Clunk
10th February 2015, 08:56 PM
Would be good if said windows worked lol

they do mate but add water, then that's a whole different ball game

Chappy
10th February 2015, 09:09 PM
No aircon = windows open; unless it's a 4wd bog hole job.

mudski
10th February 2015, 10:44 PM
Do any of you really think about the position of your windows when 4x4ing for safety?
If you do, I don't think you're having enough fun.

I close my windows if it's really dusty or I'm gonna get wet. Otherwise they're open.

Mate it takes a whole second to think about it. Well for some atleast. Probabably people who take their kids, like me, might think about it a bit more, just for their safety more than anything. I do, when I remember too. Lol. but for me its totally up. or totally down. On easy stuff, who cares. Its just the tracks you may get thrown around a bit I think more about it.