PDA

View Full Version : EDS engine data scan vs Scanguage II

Bacho86
10th January 2015, 09:07 AM
Hey all

Just wanting feedback from anyone that is running or has heard about EDS data scan. I was on berrima diesels website and noticed that they don't appear to sell scanguage anymore? But it appears that this new product can do everything plus more (?) and for only $199

Any feedback would be appreciated

Cheers

http://www.berrimadiesel.com/eshop/eds?filter_tag=Monitoring

Clarkie
12th January 2015, 02:13 PM
If it does what it says I'd be keen.

P4trol
12th January 2015, 04:00 PM
As well as scan gauge, look up ultra gauge. Similar, but slightly different features, and different shape.

happygu
12th January 2015, 04:28 PM
As well as scan gauge, look up ultra gauge. Similar, but slightly different features, and different shape.

Do you have the Ultagauge P4trol?

Mic

Bacho86
12th January 2015, 08:32 PM

Interested to get your feedback as well if you have this. From what I can see on their website, Ultraguage doesn't appear to offer boost gauge for CRD models... Is this correct?

Hodge
12th January 2015, 08:48 PM
Interested to get your feedback as well if you have this. From what I can see on their website, Ultraguage doesn't appear to offer boost gauge for CRD models... Is this correct?

I don't think any of them can mate. The only thing they do read is the MAP. I don't know how accurate this is though , as my SG 2 and my boost gauge readings are miles apart...

Rumcajs
12th January 2015, 08:57 PM
I don't think any of them can mate. The only thing they do read is the MAP. I don't know how accurate this is though , as my SG 2 and my boost gauge readings are miles apart...

MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure which means it reads boost pressure + atmospheric pressure (usually add another 14.5 psi) hence the difference.

Cheers

the evil twin
12th January 2015, 09:04 PM
MAP is more important anyway, thats why the ECU monitors MAP not Boost

MAF x MAP X Compression Ratio = Cylinder Pressure = How much Oxygen is there to mix with Diesel and blow up

Boost X Compression Ratio = an arbitary number that may or may not be good or bad or somewhere in between

Hodge
12th January 2015, 09:06 PM
MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure which means it reads boost pressure + atmospheric pressure (usually add another 14.5 psi) hence the difference.

Cheers

MAP is more important anyway, thats why the ECU monitors MAP not Boost

MAF x MAP X Compression Ratio = Cylinder Pressure = How much Oxygen is there to mix with Diesel and blow up

Boost X Compression Ratio = an arbitary number that may or may not be good or bad or somewhere in between

Thanks for clarifying this. It always puzzled me.

the evil twin
12th January 2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks for clarifying this. It always puzzled me.

The easiest way to look at it is this I reckon...

The ECU is doing two main jobs with the MAF and MAP info,
- manipulating boost so you get as much air in there as possible but don't exceed the max Cylinder Pressure on compression
- working out how much Oxygen is in there so it doesn't overfuel

32 PSI MAP in a 20:1 compression ratio is 640 PSI Cylinder pressure no matter what the atmospheric pressure is at the time so you can use that number as a hard limit
16 PSI Boost in a 20:1 compression ratio is 320 PSI plus whatever atmospheric pressure is at the time which is a soft number so you may be over or under boosting.

That is why a Dawes valve is a bit of a compromise, it cannot compensate for changes in atmospheric pressure.

P4trol
12th January 2015, 11:33 PM
Do you have the Ultagauge P4trol?

Mic

Yes and no, Mic...

I've purchased one, and it's in the post. However I've a 2.8, and it won't work on this... It's for a different vehicle.

The other option is the elm327 (about $16) Bluetooth dongle from ebay, then use an app (plenty available for Android.)

I've been playing around with this at the moment. The only trouble is the Bluetooth takes its toll on phone battery - communications must be busy Bluetooth wise.

The ultra/scan gauge use power coming out of the obd2 port to power it. A bit of Velcro sticky on the back, and away you go.

happygu
12th January 2015, 11:46 PM
I am looking at getting one so was going to ask you questions about what works and what it lacks ..... now I'll just have to offer to buy it off you, if you aren't going to use it.....

P4trol
13th January 2015, 12:40 AM
lol. The best part is that it will plug into any modern vehicle, as it is at that stage where they are just about all obd2 compliant. So you can take it from vehicle to vehicle. Some vehicles give up more secrets than others. For me, it's a great way to be able to see what uses a lot of fuel. It surprised me to see what the people mover was achieving in terms of fuel economy at 90 (petrol auto, flat highway, cruise on). The fuel is sucked during the higher RPM when accelerating.

bfish72
4th August 2015, 10:47 AM
Hi Guys

Thought I would add to this thread, I bought an EDS a few weeks back and the TRIP information does not work with my 2012 Patrol....simply comes up as 'not supported'..
so I sent it back and they sent me another one.....same problem......'not supported' for any trip information that includes all mileage readings.

So.....I did a bit of searching on the internet and discovered that it is a rebadged Turbogauge IV, available on ebay for about $60-70......junk out of China.

I am still in the process of finding out if I will get my money back....will be interesting as it was part of a package. I will admit I should have known better and just bought a scangauge but Berrima Diesel endorsed them and made it sound like they had some involvement in developing them......not the case!

I am curious if anyone else has had the same problem?....

Bacho86
4th August 2015, 01:30 PM
Hi Guys

Thought I would add to this thread, I bought an EDS a few weeks back and the TRIP information does not work with my 2012 Patrol....simply comes up as 'not supported'..
so I sent it back and they sent me another one.....same problem......'not supported' for any trip information that includes all mileage readings.

So.....I did a bit of searching on the internet and discovered that it is a rebadged Turbogauge IV, available on ebay for about $60-70......junk out of China.

I am still in the process of finding out if I will get my money back....will be interesting as it was part of a package. I will admit I should have known better and just bought a scangauge but Berrima Diesel endorsed them and made it sound like they had some involvement in developing them......not the case!

I am curious if anyone else has had the same problem?....

Interesting... I juts got one of these in a package deal as well - mine came missing the lead and a few other things from the box, so not sure if was a return item or what's going on, but not very impressed! Should have known better buying from Supacentre I guess!

I was tossing up between the two and thought the EDS would be a safe bet given that Berrima Diesel endorsed them as well... evidently not!

I'll post up when I install mine if there are any issues with TRIP information not being supported

Hodge
4th August 2015, 01:40 PM
I had the eds before the scan gauge. Nothing but trouble....
First they sent me an awning instead of the eds ... Wow!
Then eds finally arrived , kept turning off, sent back and the next one arrived with no cable, once cable finally arrived , the unit didn't want to read a lot of data.
Had enough got my $ back.
Scan gauge worked flawlesly first time out of the box.
I tried each unit in my neighbours defender as well to prove it wasn't my patrols port as the issue. Obd port on Patrol was fine.
This was where I drew the line with dealing with super centre ever again...

bfish72
4th August 2015, 03:59 PM
Glad to hear I am not the only one having trouble....

This is how Berrima diesel do their research and development...scroll down to the comments at the bottom of the page;

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Car_Accessories/Car_Diagnostic_Tools/TurboGauge_6_Car_OBD2_Scanner_Black_Box

amazing what you can find on the net if you look hard enough!!

Rock Trol
4th August 2015, 06:12 PM
The screen really looks like a Scangauge display. I wonder if they are using the same display module.

Hodge
4th August 2015, 07:59 PM
Glad to hear I am not the only one having trouble....

This is how Berrima diesel do their research and development...scroll down to the comments at the bottom of the page;

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Car_Accessories/Car_Diagnostic_Tools/TurboGauge_6_Car_OBD2_Scanner_Black_Box

amazing what you can find on the net if you look hard enough!!

That is an awesome find my friend. It shows how internet can sometimes bite people in the rear... Just WoW.

bfish72
6th August 2015, 11:04 AM
Haha

somebody in the last 24HRS has changed his title from DP Chip marketing manager to Uni NSW.......whoops they got caught out there!

I am still trying to get some joy regarding my EDS

Hodge
6th August 2015, 11:28 AM
I think there were also some threads deleted from the 4wd action forum about it.

Bacho86
6th August 2015, 01:03 PM
I think there were also some threads deleted from the 4wd action forum about it.

Gee doesn't that sounds all too familiar... I really hope Berrima Diesel thought long and hard before getting into bed with EMG / 4WD Action

GUDriver
16th August 2015, 10:35 AM
My experience with the EDS:
After the initial install I didn't bother to do all the set ups immediately and all appeared to work well....
After making all the basic settings, date, time, engine size, fuel tank size, fuel type and cost I noticed that the Trip meter was no longer working, this includes the instant fuel consumption display.
So I reset the device and all was once again in order. Settings once again adjusted as above and again trip display showed *NOT SUPPORTED*
I then went through each setting one at a time and have found that by not setting the fuel type the trip function continues to work. I have also not setup the fuel cost function as yet but it does seem to be working.

There is an adjustment for Fuel Cut Off which is apparently variable for different makes of car and changes how the fuel consumption displays. However, there is no information given on how this adjustment affects the accuracy or what setting is suitable for which vehicle. At present with the default setting the instantaneous consumption shows a reading I think is plausible but when running against compression with the throttle closed the consumption increases. I will be fiddling around some more to see what happens.

fish71
9th September 2015, 09:32 PM
I received my EDS for my GU and didnt work with the trip computer, when i spoke to berrima diesel they wernt aware of any issue, I said you got to be kidding there is entire thread of negativity

they said bring it back and we will look into it and test on our nissa patrol, i said mate doesnt work and will never.

anyway going to make a formal complaint to C&M magazine

EFIwindsor
28th January 2017, 09:55 AM
I had a EDS on my 2012 3.2l BT50. could not read 1/2 the parameters of the available in scan gauge.

apart from he bt50 being a piece of shit and Mazda being arseholes the EDS was on the same level.

Boinzo
30th January 2017, 01:34 AM
I've tried both an EDS and Ultra Gauge. What I really wanted was reliable Fuel Economy info for touring. I went nuts trying to calibrate the UG so tried getting the EDS as a replacement. As others have reported - the EDS is a complete waste of money. It *does not* support trip computers or fuel economy (instant or otherwise) in my 2015GU. It's probably useful if you want to be able to clear or diagnose engine fault codes.

I'm gonna give it to a guy I know who has a Prado. ;-)

So - I went back and re-tried calibrating the Ultra Gauge. And after many hours of messing around I think I have it working right. It gives me what looks like sensible numbers that accord pretty closely to what I can calculate from pump litres squirted and km travelled on the ODO. It also does show a boost pressure - but until I install a grown-up boost gauge and Dawes I have no idea how accurate it is. It *looks* like it is a number that makes sense.

So in short. I'd recommend a UG if you are prepared to put in some time to configure it.

neilo99
24th February 2018, 07:55 PM
My experience with the EDS:
After the initial install I didn't bother to do all the set ups immediately and all appeared to work well....
After making all the basic settings, date, time, engine size, fuel tank size, fuel type and cost I noticed that the Trip meter was no longer working, this includes the instant fuel consumption display.
So I reset the device and all was once again in order. Settings once again adjusted as above and again trip display showed *NOT SUPPORTED*
I then went through each setting one at a time and have found that by not setting the fuel type the trip function continues to work. I have also not setup the fuel cost function as yet but it does seem to be working.

There is an adjustment for Fuel Cut Off which is apparently variable for different makes of car and changes how the fuel consumption displays. However, there is no information given on how this adjustment affects the accuracy or what setting is suitable for which vehicle. At present with the default setting the instantaneous consumption shows a reading I think is plausible but when running against compression with the throttle closed the consumption increases. I will be fiddling around some more to see what happens.

HI,
This post is a few yrs old, but still relevant.
I have the same issue with my EDS on my 2008 GU. When I first started it up it ran ok, but after I ran the setup and entered the fuel type (and all other data) it gave me the *Not Supported* error.

I will check back to share how it goes......

Trav_1980
15th June 2019, 06:38 PM
Bought the EDS, tried it, hated it, half the functions didn't work. Spend the extra $ and get ScanGauge 2, I did, haven't looked back! Worth the extra $

Grant209
30th July 2020, 06:26 PM
Out or curiosity . . . . I brought a EDS from 4wd Supacentre about two weeks ago, thinking they may had up-dated the firmware so that the current EDS's may work with my 2013 Gu Patrol ZD30 Turbo Diesel . . . well nope.

Anyway, I sent them a email outlining what did work and didn't work.

and the reply I got was stating my 2013 Gu Patrol ZD30 Turbo Diesel was not on the list.

Good Afternoon,

Thanks for your email,

Here is a link to this product, the link includes a full listing of compatible vehicles: https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/engine-data-scan-computer.html

As the vehicle: 2013 Gu Patrol ZD30 Turbo Diesel Is not listed, it is not compatible.

Please advise on your order number and confirm whether this was discussed with you in store – if it was not discussed, please confirm if you asked if it was?

Thanks.

After 5 years, you would think they would have taken notice of those GU Y61 Patrol Owners returning the EDS and either Up-dated the EDS firmware so it is compatible with the listed "Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0lt Common Rail Diesel (2007 onwards)" or remove it from the list of compatible vehicle List . . . but No . . .

Grant209
20th January 2021, 11:18 AM
Just a follow up on my last, gave the EDS to a mate who has a 2011 Prado, the EDS works fine with his Prado, no issues at all.

At least this thread will give any other GU Patrol Owners a little bit of pre-warning that the EDS dose not work with our GU Patrols.