PDA

View Full Version : Under Water

grah1166
10th March 2011, 07:20 AM
I need help - my son is stranded on Fraser Island with a 1997 RX 4.2 EFI automatic Patrol. He was bogged? in a fresh-water hole (don't ask!); water entered the front footwells, motor stopped and could not be re-started. There is now no output from the coil - suspect flooding of the ICU or ECU located near foot level in the front passenger side kick panel.
Can any-one provide advice on what part/s may need replacing to get him home today????
P.S. This is URGENT 'cause it's the 'Trouble & Strife's' car - she loves it, and I haven't told her yet!!!
Graham.

YNOT
10th March 2011, 07:36 AM
The bad news is the ECU probably has been water damaged. Worse news is the transmission computer probably has too.
Check the basics like fuses first but I don't like your chances of an easy fix.

Tony

grah1166
10th March 2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks for your prompt repy Tony,
I'm told fuses are OK (and I doubt water has got to that area).
1997 GQ RX Auto transmission computor? - this is new to me - are these the only two items in this area; and are they 'plug & play' ??
I'm prepared to replace anything necessary, but don't want to arrive there with only half the needed parts (I'm 150 km away, and my life is just not worth not having this RX at home whe SHE rerturns !!!!!!!!!).
Graham

YNOT
10th March 2011, 08:57 AM
If it's an auto then it will have a transmission computer, and both it and the engine computer are mounted low in the L/H footwell. They are plug and play.
I can't say for sure that this is what is stopping your engine starting (and possibly the transmission being in limp mode when you do get it going) but it's highly likely. There may be other faults as well.
I mentioned fuses because a circuit can short out and blow a fuse when it gets wet, you don't need water in the fuse box for that to happen.

Tony

grah1166
10th March 2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks again Tony - Nissan say there are NO units in Aussie - 2 weeks & $1500 each ex Japan. A site in Melb can repair the ECU, but it is still a 1 week turn-around.
Am trying local (SE QLD) wreckers, but having no success yet - Anyone have a suggestion re who may have at least a used ECU ????
Graham

Bigrig
10th March 2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks again Tony - Nissan say there are NO units in Aussie - 2 weeks & $1500 each ex Japan. A site in Melb can repair the ECU, but it is still a 1 week turn-around.
Am trying local (SE QLD) wreckers, but having no success yet - Anyone have a suggestion re who may have at least a used ECU ????
Graham

Hey mate - I could only suggest ringing the wreckers (like Capalaba Wrecking) who are on the wreckers hotline (i.e. if you call them, they announce it across about 30 or more other wreckers to try to source it for you). Good luck with it mate!!

Bigrig
10th March 2011, 12:31 PM
Sorry, you could try Nizzbits and Patrolapart in Victoria as well ...

www.patrolapart.com.au (http://www.patrolapart.com.au)

http://www.nizzbits.com.au/

YNOT
10th March 2011, 02:55 PM
When you get a chance drop by the introductions page and tell us a bit about yourself and the Patrol.

Tony

ReefMagnet
10th March 2011, 04:57 PM
Could be your (un)lucky day....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/nissan-gq-patrol-tb42e-ecu-/140520473791?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b7ac44bf#ht_500wt_1156

It's for a manual, but may work with an auto as well???

Finly Owner
10th March 2011, 11:49 PM
Any luck Graham? Did you try Bega rd wreckers they play with nissans patrols.

grah1166
12th March 2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all your replies - Some good news - got the GQ home Saturday (on a trailer); but couldn't hide it any longer from the Little Lady, so she's still not talking to me.
The interior is now stripped out, carpets cleaned and out to dry. Pulled both the motor and transmission ECU's out (got half a litre of water from the transmission module). Located an earlier (1992) auto transmission ECU and picked it up today. Still have not found the same replacement Engine ECU although I am watching one on ebay (thanks for your tip ReefMagnet!).
I've heard that the ECU from a manual GQ can be used in an automatic vehicle with no ill effects - can anyone confirm this positively, or is it just rumour and guesswork??
Our current (damaged) unit is part number 23710 35J11, the manual part number is 23710 35J00
If we can't be sure of compatability then I may have to bite-the-bullett and opt for a rebuild (if possible).
Graham

grah1166
12th March 2011, 11:07 PM
P.S. Also got the son home (very sheepish!!!) - His wife and young son both not all that impressed with Fraser (lots of insect bite injuries).