PDA

View Full Version : 80 litre waeco not reaching temp

AB
9th January 2015, 09:41 PM
My brother has the 80 litre dual zone waeco.

He was at my house the other day when we had that hot 38 degree day and he had it set at -10 which "In his words" holds the beer temp in the fridge department perfectly.

Long story short it could only get to -3 with the fridge in the shade under the carport. When the sun set it came back up.

I know in my 60 litre I can set it to whatever and whenever and it will easily reach desired temp.

Is this is a regular problem with the larger fridges struggling on hot days or is something wrong with it?

Never had this problem with my 60 and had it inside locked up in the gq on similar days with no issue, even set at -10.

Larger area to cool and can't handle it or?

MudRunnerTD
9th January 2015, 10:07 PM
Hi mate you will find that it was the weather and not the fridge mate. Below is straight for the manual available online.

Temp range is +10 to -18 but advises that minimum temp can not be gained when ambient temp is above 32c

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

AB
9th January 2015, 10:12 PM
Thanks mate, interesting how the 60 litre can reach any temp any time but the 80 just can't cut it in the extreme days.

It would suck if you went up north touring in the heat? The fridge part of the dual zone was warm enough to spoil food and the freezer would not freeze water.

MudRunnerTD
9th January 2015, 10:57 PM
Did you put a multi meter on the power supply at the back of the car for voltage drop? What condition are his batteries?

the evil twin
9th January 2015, 11:27 PM
Hi mate you will find that it was the weather and not the fridge mate. Below is straight for the manual available online.

Agree with MR on this call.

The Waeco 80's aren't exactly brilliant performers when ambient temps head past low 30's and they suck in high 30's, low 40's.
In fairness to Waeco they do say so in their specs.

I sold mine and use two smaller fridges instead.
Much happier camper

AB
10th January 2015, 09:02 AM
I told Mark to check for voltage drop because the previous owner has run the power to the tray and an extra few metres so they can put the firdge outside the tray under a tree, etc for camping. Mark also got his auto elec to add a couple of metres onto the waeco cable as well....lol

He cracked it and just bought a new Optima and still same problem.

I'll try and take a look this weekend. I remember when I had voltage drop on mine the fridge would cut out. I did watch his fridge for 5 minutes and didnt see it cutting out though.

Newb question = Can you get a voltage drop that simply doesnt supply enough power or will it just always cut out like mine did?

Sir Roofy
10th January 2015, 09:42 AM
The big waeco that i had just didnt cut it in hot weather hence went to a 60l as all the above is correct
check his cables and put in heavy duty for less power drop and i use dc to dc charger on aux battery
and when not driving switches to 70w solar to top up while parked up

megatexture
10th January 2015, 10:31 AM
I told Mark to check for voltage drop because the previous owner has run the power to the tray and an extra few metres so they can put the firdge outside the tray under a tree, etc for camping. Mark also got his auto elec to add a couple of metres onto the waeco cable as well....lol

He cracked it and just bought a new Optima and still same problem.

I'll try and take a look this weekend. I remember when I had voltage drop on mine the fridge would cut out. I did watch his fridge for 5 minutes and didnt see it cutting out though.

Newb question = Can you get a voltage drop that simply doesnt supply enough power or will it just always cut out like mine did?

Yep and you can, the waeco have 3 cutoff levels his could be set on high also

sooty_10
10th January 2015, 10:47 AM
Just tell him he should have bought an engel... ;) haha

All joking aside that's a pretty disappointing state of affairs if it can't keep beer cold when ambient is above 32+ degrees. :(

Next time you could test it by plugging it into 240v, should tell you if it is voltage drop issue or simply the fridge design and specifications not handling it.

threedogs
10th January 2015, 10:48 AM
some fridges cant hack hot humid conditions, I think the National Luna[Trail Blazer]
was the only one tested that passed with flying colours , whislt being tested up Cape york
by one of the Mags

Stropp
10th January 2015, 12:45 PM
i have a 80 ltr 25yr old trailblazer that never ever had issues except that it wont fit into the patrol because of the drawers and i now use a 40ltr companion mamoth, never had problems and on -2 the beer is very cold and water bottles will freeze, it also lives in the back of the patrol like roofy's with a solar backup.

the evil twin
10th January 2015, 01:34 PM
I remember when I had voltage drop on mine the fridge would cut out. I did watch his fridge for 5 minutes and didnt see it cutting out though.

Bit of a mixed question there but the Waeco's esp the early ones were notorious for being to sensitive to voltage when on battery.
They would cut out at stupidly high voltages but that isn't the problem you saw.
It was just too darn hot
Probably the biggest advantage of the Engels over the Danfoss type fridges, in that the Sawafuji use less power in the first place and run at lower voltages.

Voltage drop is a two part thing.
One the manuf like to tell you it is there to save your battery which is kinda true but only because they need it more than your battery does.
Part two is that the fridge needs the same amount of electrical power to operate and power (watts) is volts times amps.
As the volts drop the amps rise and the the higher the current flow the more the wiring and components heat up.
The more the wiring heats up the more voltage drop you get so it is a vicious circle.

The Waeco 80 specs indicate they won't perform at 100% in temps above low 30's even if you plug them into the local power station.
They aren't engineered to be able to do it but in fairness that would mean an ability to drop the temp more than 50 degrees below ambient
Engel claim from 45 up to 55 degrees depending on model.

National Luna are the absolute top of the wozza for fridge performance with a claimed ability to maintain -18 at an ambient of 43.
Given their reputation and the field reviews I have read I believe them.

AB
10th January 2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks gents my bad. I just realised we had it also on 240v that day and the problem still persisted...forgot to mention that hahaha

threedogs
10th January 2015, 03:14 PM
I fitted a 12v computer fan to my Engel. the later models with this mod were called turboed.
I believe my fridge runs better ,,as in more efficient.
Thinking about changing it again to more of a blower style fan.
OH the fan is directed on the compressor, and cycles with the motor

the evil twin
10th January 2015, 03:51 PM
snip...I fitted a 12v computer fan to my Engel. the later models with this mod were called turboed.

ROFL... sorry mate, good idea and does help but I just had a vision flash thru my feeble brain of a dual VNT Engel set up to run at -60 in the middle of the Marble Bar Car Park

threedogs
10th January 2015, 04:01 PM
with a dirty MAF lol behave
Been in now for over 15 years

BigRAWesty
10th January 2015, 04:39 PM
Remember the fuller the fridge the better it works. So he needs more beer

AB
10th January 2015, 06:21 PM
Remember the fuller the fridge the better it works. So he needs more beer

Slab of beer and a bag of servo ice was in there. Ice was melting at an alarming rate that day.

He's over it and using the wife's 60 litre. I don't think she's getting that fridge back.