PDA

View Full Version : Need 2 buy a new GPS ( mainly road ) recomendations feedback on theres wanted

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2015, 08:09 PM
Well my old trusty Garmin GPS I think has finally gone to GPS heaven, so need to buy another one, main use would be for road navigation as anyone that knows me I get lost easily ( even with a GPS!!! ) *L* Having something that does off road tracks would be a bonus......

So what can people recommend????

I'm sure there was a GPS thread started not long ago but can't find it so if someone can point me to that thread it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Toddie

Clunk
9th January 2015, 08:12 PM
smartphone mate and download apps

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2015, 08:14 PM
I've been looking at one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-7-Car-GPS-HD-Touchscreen-Navigation-4GB-Wireless-Reverse-Camera-Bluetooth-/121538341383?pt=AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item1c4c3fea07

but don't know the brand or how good the maps are

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2015, 08:17 PM
smartphone mate and download apps

I don't have a smart phone, I have a Nokia N8 and its a piece of shit when it comes to apps. Can't justify the cost of buying a new phone at the moment as much as I would like a new phone :(

Clunk
9th January 2015, 10:10 PM
I've been looking at one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-7-Car-GPS-HD-Touchscreen-Navigation-4GB-Wireless-Reverse-Camera-Bluetooth-/121538341383?pt=AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item1c4c3fea07 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2FNew-7-Car-GPS-HD-Touchscreen-Navigation-4GB-Wireless-Reverse-Camera-Bluetooth-%2F121538341383%3Fpt%3DAU_Electronics_GPS%26amp%3B hash%3Ditem1c4c3fea07)

but don't know the brand or how good the maps are

yeah I cant work out what it's trying to be, part tablet, part gps, part reverse camera etc etc......... 4GB of memory is diddly squat and prcessing speed isn't much cop mate

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2015, 10:50 PM
yeah I cant work out what it's trying to be, part tablet, part gps, part reverse camera etc etc......... 4GB of memory is diddly squat and prcessing speed isn't much cop mate

yeh think I might stick with a dedicated gps like garmin, its only for the crappadore anyway

Clunk
9th January 2015, 10:56 PM
well if thats the case, just get a cheap 2nd hand navman MY50 or whatever they are in that range, some have 4wd maps on them but cants say how good they are..... do the job on road though

outback
9th January 2015, 10:57 PM
I could sell you my old Hema HN6 but that would team I don't have a decent backup for the HN7..

Though I might have buried somewhere a Garmin Nuvi 3590, if you insist in hugging to that brand. Was not impressed with it vs the HN units.

HuskyInAuz
9th January 2015, 10:59 PM
The gps on the Digioptions in dash is impossible to see during daylight so we went ahead and bought a Garmin nüvi® 65LMT when we went away last August. It works very well, has third party off road maps options for purchase and free updates. I'd buy one again, plus goes back to my redundancy core, although not really necessary when you know where the ground is ;).

MudRunnerTD
9th January 2015, 11:04 PM
Buy a cheap iPhone 4 or 5 off someone upgrading to a 6, they are all over Facebook mate and eBay and $200 will own one. Then use Google Maps for Navigating around everywhere but the Bush. Rate it highly.

Clunk
9th January 2015, 11:24 PM
Buy a cheap iPhone 4 or 5 off someone upgrading to a 6, they are all over Facebook mate and eBay and $200 will own one. Then use Google Maps for Navigating around everywhere but the Bush. Rate it highly.

you may as well just slit your wrists hhahahahahahaha

If you can wait 5 months Todd, you can have my S4 lol

MudRunnerTD
9th January 2015, 11:31 PM
Spank that Hippo!

MEGOMONSTER
9th January 2015, 11:47 PM
I'm surprised my 10 plus year old Navman is still going strong, I can no longer get map updates for it. And all the new fwys are asking my to do a Uturn on the streets beside the new roads. It's funny but I still know where I'm going.
I like to see what's ahead rather than where I'm going but it still helps.

Except when we went to Sydney.
Nearly went flying out the window.

But I like it and kept it, easy to use, easy to navigate. Would probably buy another Navman.

NissanGQ4.2
10th January 2015, 07:10 AM
you may as well just slit your wrists hhahahahahahaha

If you can wait 5 months Todd, you can have my S4 lol

Let me know when it comes up for sale mate

NissanGQ4.2
10th January 2015, 07:11 AM
Thanks all for ur input :)

MEGOMONSTER
10th January 2015, 07:19 AM
Thanks all for ur input :)

We welcome all questions. Lol

NissanGQ4.2
10th January 2015, 07:46 AM
We welcome all questions. Lol

Why is the earth flat but we are lead to believe it is round?

MEGOMONSTER
10th January 2015, 08:03 AM
Why is the earth flat but we are lead to believe it is round?

Over short distances the earth is flat.

megatexture
10th January 2015, 10:17 AM
I love my old garmin it was fast to type good display and showed lots of side streets my new navman is slow... You have to wait 2 seconds before the next can be pressed and the detail is poor it has Hema offroad maps and all sorts of other crap not needed for the black top, unless I bought a lemon I'll be getting a garmin next time

Clunk
10th January 2015, 02:01 PM
Let me know when it comes up for sale mate

for you mate, free....... can't remember if the contract runs out end of May or June but remind me then and I'll send it over

NissanGQ4.2
10th January 2015, 02:19 PM
for you mate, free....... can't remember if the contract runs out end of May or June but remind me then and I'll send it over

U expect me 2 remember 2 remind u? Ur a champ

R u updating because ur contracts expires?

Sent via........... a piece of shit Apple ipad

Clunk
10th January 2015, 02:45 PM
U expect me 2 remember 2 remind u? Ur a champ

R u updating because ur contracts expires?

Sent via........... a piece of shit Apple ipad

yeah mate, thinking about going for a Note 4 so I can kill 2 birds so to speak...... my tablet is getting a bit long in the tooth, so that needs updating as well. Reckon if I get a note 4, should hopefully be big enough so I can do away with the need of a tablet too.