PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary vacuum for GQ

Aquarian51
10th March 2011, 02:21 AM
Hi

I'm thinking of installing a Thomas Vacuum Pump 107CDC20 (12v DC) http://www.cfpwarehouse.com/thomas/compressors/pump_data/107cdc20.pdf so that I can replace the alternator driven vacuum pump. My initial thought is to connect it to my second battery so that there is a constant drain on the second battery when I'm just running around town. I'd be interested in hearing any comments, reservations or suggestions.

I've sourced a brand new one from the US for just over $AUD100 landed. I am then not locked into the expensive Hitachi alternator/vacuum pump, when the current one dies.

Thanks

YNOT
10th March 2011, 07:48 AM
Being a constant drain device the alternator will have to increase its output to compensate regardless of which battery you connect it to.
I would be more inclined to connect it to the starting battery to keep the secondary battery for engine off accessories.

Tony

Ghost
10th March 2011, 10:47 PM
I removed the front timing cover of the TD42 motor and replaced it with a TD42 late model front timing cover that has the vacuum pump, now i can run any alternator i choose.

Aquarian51
11th March 2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks Tony. Yes it draws up to 40amps on start up and 8amps when running continuously. It's well worth getting other opinions before going ahead with any mods.
Len

Aquarian51
11th March 2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks Ghost

I'd be interested to know how much for the timing cover and pump and the cost or time involved in fitting it. Please advise.

When I asked one of the fitters at work his opinion of the Thomas pump he said I could have a switch on it and it could be run as a compressor while stationary to inflate tyres or run air tools, then switched back to vacuum before driving. So that versatility sounded good. Although the specs say 35psi max, so maybe not such a good idea, unless there is a larger model.

cheers
Len

YNOT
11th March 2011, 03:52 PM
What Ghost (Brian) has done is a good idea and puts no additional load on the electrical system, but it is a big job. I would expect $300-400 just for labour and another 1 or 200 for parts.

Tony

Ghost
11th March 2011, 10:15 PM
around $200 ish for the bits, i had the motor in bits so wasnt really any labour. I would say YNOT (Tony) is pretty close on the money

Aquarian51
11th March 2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks Tony and Brian

I'll give it some more thought and when I decide I'll let you know what I do.

cheers

Len