PDA

View Full Version : Smallest panel to run a 32L Fridge? Or add another panel to my camper setup/

mudski
6th January 2015, 10:12 PM
So we are going camping for two weeks this time. On this Monday. My camper is sorted with all the solar equipment and will last the two weeks. But I keep my beer fridge in the back of the car, a 32L Engel. This runs soley off the aux battery which is a 105AH Deep cycle, or there abouts. I was thinking to either get another smaller panel to connect to the car, maybe around 80w. Purely for size really. Or, I then had a thought of putting the 32L fridge in with the 75L Combi that runs off two 105AH batts and then add in the other 80W panel? If I do choose the latter path, can I run two different specced panel setups into the one controller? BCDC1225.
I suppose I could actually do both, well not at the same time, but set up right I can chose.

I know the bigger the better but adding more panels equals more space taken up. Hence the thought, whether its good or not, on the smaller panel.

Cheers.

HuskyInAuz
6th January 2015, 10:32 PM
Well on the other hand you have two independent systems... one which could be cranked up (down C) to keep the refreshments at the proper temp and not worry about the butter.

the evil twin
6th January 2015, 11:03 PM
Me... considering a 32 Engel draws bugger all and I like a fridge in teh car at all times
Assumption 1 - the Car gets a bit of running around when camped.
I'd leave the 35 litre in the car and run a lead from the Camper to the Car at night
The Car Aux and Camper battery bank will happily run both fridges

Assumption 2 - the Car gets a almost zero running around when camped.
I'd leave the 35 litre in the car and either:
run a 50 watt panel on the vehicle to keep the Aux up
or
still run a lead from the Camper to the Car and use the camper array

mudski
6th January 2015, 11:19 PM
For this particular trip, assumption 2 will be the closer scenario. Could I also use say a 50 or 60W panel of a different brand/ specs etc in conjunction with my existing 180W setup if ever need be?

the evil twin
6th January 2015, 11:33 PM
For this particular trip, assumption 2 will be the closer scenario. Could I also use say a 50 or 60W panel of a different brand/ specs etc in conjunction with my existing 180W setup if ever need be?

Yes, but I wouldn't really bother.
I reckon 180 watts of Solar into a BCDC 1225 and 300 AH's of battery bank will be poo poo loads of zap juice.

Be careful you don't exceed the max solar input into the BCDC1225.
I wouldn't add solar capacity past 240 watts without asking Redarc what the limit is (I haven't been able to find it in their specs).
It may not matter a rats and the unit may not have a limit as such but I would ask them.

I have a short 5 metre lead with Andersons at each end that I plug from my van to my Truck whenever it is parked up and that works for me IE I have my camp refridgeration and my vehicle refridgeration without juggling things around.

Cuppa
7th January 2015, 12:26 AM
ET I think, but am not 100% certain that if you exceed the capacity of the BCDC’s solar handling capacity it just wastes the extra rather than frying the BCDC.

Mudski, if you are heading out via Ballarat way next Monday I’ve got a folding 100w panel with regulator & crocodile clips you could borrow for your trip if you wish. It’s in a padded carry bag.

mudski
7th January 2015, 12:36 AM
ET I think, but am not 100% certain that if you exceed the capacity of the BCDC’s solar handling capacity it just wastes the extra rather than frying the BCDC.

Mudski, if you are heading out via Ballarat way next Monday I’ve got a folding 100w panel with regulator & crocodile clips you could borrow for your trip if you wish. It’s in a padded carry bag.

Thanks Cuppa. But we are heading east. I might get a 80W panel with reg I think as last time we went camping, it was quite hot and the fridge in the car drained the battery in a couple of days. So I think to be safe I'll get one, with a cheap(ish) reg and when I have time get another BCDC1225 to replace the SBI12 in the car.
I appreciate the offer though.

the evil twin
7th January 2015, 12:48 AM
snip...

I reckon so as well.
All that will probably happen is the voltage rises towards open circuit but I'm curious to know now...

threedogs
7th January 2015, 08:25 AM
Park your Patrol in the shade wind all windows down a tad for air flow ,
no lower than your visors ,remove two drinks at a time.
I did this in 30 degree humid conditions and didnt even touch my Aux battery after three days

Battery was a 115 wet cell Trojan,. Make sure fridge is full all the time
40 ltr Engel

Sir Roofy
7th January 2015, 11:14 AM
I run a 60l that goes all the time in the car with a 70watt panel on the roof rack
when we did the simmo i had a 32l in the car as well as a freezer mind you we travelled
every day and the dctodc took care of them but when stopped or parked up the solar
took care of them works for me

mudski
7th January 2015, 11:45 AM
Park your Patrol in the shade wind all windows down a tad for air flow ,
no lower than your visors ,remove two drinks at a time.
I did this in 30 degree humid conditions and didnt even touch my Aux battery after three days

Battery was a 115 wet cell Trojan,. Make sure fridge is full all the time
40 ltr Engel

Sometimes John there ain't no shade...Plus my fridge is always stocked. Lol.

lucus30
7th January 2015, 12:01 PM
Hey mark feel free to come past my place and grab my foldable 120w with Anderson plugs on the end. I live in ferntree gully

threedogs
7th January 2015, 12:20 PM
Sometimes John there ain't no shade...Plus my fridge is always stocked. Lol.

simple answer is drink less lol

the evil twin
7th January 2015, 01:00 PM

Moderator... MODERATOR !!!!

Quick, get an infraction stick, thats the most offensive thing I've ever heard on here :cheers::1062:

threedogs
7th January 2015, 01:59 PM
I deeply apologize to ET for my flippant remark and any hurt it may have brought. rofl
Instead of buying a small panel just to cover the Engel why not a bigger panel that will compliment what you have
in case you have more electrical items added later down the track.

again ET sorry will put my gadgets in the vice shortely

the evil twin
7th January 2015, 02:02 PM
again ET sorry will put my gadgets in the vice shortely

A big vice... or even better, one of them pipe vice thingies with the bike chain.
The boys at Guantanamo speak very highly of them

threedogs
7th January 2015, 02:40 PM
Times like this I wish I was an office worker , worst would be a stapler then lol

Bummer having so many tools

mudski
7th January 2015, 02:44 PM
Hey mark feel free to come past my place and grab my foldable 120w with Anderson plugs on the end. I live in ferntree gully
Thanks mate I might even take you up on the offer. As I'm in two minds on which way to go. One smaller panel just for the car when its sitting there, or something larger to add to the 180W setup I have and just chuck the 32L in with the other fridge.

Simple answer is NO... :)

I could just use one of those Anderson plug double adapters to join two lots of panels together to the BCDC?

threedogs
7th January 2015, 04:34 PM
in my defence I did say drink two at a time earlier

megatexture
7th January 2015, 07:12 PM
I could just use one of those Anderson plug double adapters to join two lots of panels together to the BCDC?

That's what I do

HuskyInAuz
7th January 2015, 09:29 PM
Redundancy and flexibility.. add a second panel that is independent but have the wiring/switching flexibility to have one integrated unit. I have double Anderson plugs in the 'trol and will do so in the CT, one for single system, the other to crossover and make the banks combined. I'd like to just have an old 3-way switch (marine) but thought it would look odd. I might mount one in the CT, have one in the CSU which I will move to the CT.

mudski
7th January 2015, 11:48 PM
I'm gonna borrow Lucas30's panels for this trip. As I am in two minds on how to go about it. And the mob I want to buy the panels off, I where I got my current 180W set, is on break until the 12th.

megatexture
8th January 2015, 12:04 AM
I do the same as ET mentioned, we leave out 80 ltr at camp with 2x110ah batts charging with 1or2 120w panels depending on the duration of the stay and we leave the 50 ltr in the car.
If we are driving/exploring a lot I leave it unplugged until night time but if we are staying put and relaxing I have a 10m Anderson plug extension I can plug the car to the camper and link the car aux so the two fridges run off 3x 110ah and the solar will charge all 3 batts

I have a bright blue strap I wrap around the drivers mirror as an indication it's plugged in as it can be forgotten easily!

the evil twin
8th January 2015, 01:03 AM
snip...
I have a bright blue strap I wrap around the drivers mirror as an indication it's plugged in as it can be forgotten easily!

Yep...It's just like the front hatch on a Tvan... everybody forgets about it... once

Cuppa
8th January 2015, 10:58 AM
Yep...It's just like the front hatch on a Tvan... everybody forgets about it... once

Surely nobody would be that stupid!

the evil twin
8th January 2015, 11:33 AM
Surely nobody would be that stupid!

Hehehehe, knew I'd getcha

mudski
8th January 2015, 10:58 PM
I do the same as ET mentioned, we leave out 80 ltr at camp with 2x110ah batts charging with 1or2 120w panels depending on the duration of the stay and we leave the 50 ltr in the car.
If we are driving/exploring a lot I leave it unplugged until night time but if we are staying put and relaxing I have a 10m Anderson plug extension I can plug the car to the camper and link the car aux so the two fridges run off 3x 110ah and the solar will charge all 3 batts

You've got me intrigued here. Do you have the lead with the anderson plug directly to the aux battery in the car then connect to one of the two batts in the camper? Two weeks camping with NO mains power I just want to be prepared... Dib, Dib, Dib.

the evil twin
8th January 2015, 11:44 PM
Dunno about Mega but I just have a lead with an Anderson at each end.
Park the car within reach of the camper and plug 'em in.
During the day the Solar can now 'see' the Vehicle Aux and, if like me you use Dual sense VSR's, it will also charge the Cranker if it needs it.

mudski
9th January 2015, 12:22 AM
Dunno about Mega but I just have a lead with an Anderson at each end.
Park the car within reach of the camper and plug 'em in.
During the day the Solar can now 'see' the Vehicle Aux and, if like me you use Dual sense VSR's, it will also charge the Cranker if it needs it.

So direct from Aux battery to one of the batteries in the camper will work?

the evil twin
9th January 2015, 02:08 PM
So direct from Aux battery to one of the batteries in the camper will work?

Yep, sure will.

There are a few different options depending on how an individual setup is wired and what solar regs, DC/DC devices are in use etc. but simplest way is just hook the sucker up in parallel.

Keep the lead as short as is convenient say 3 to 4 metres max and use reasonable gauge cable say 12 to 10 gauge and you won't have much voltage drop at all over the extra distance to the vehicle aux.

mudski
9th January 2015, 02:52 PM
Yep, sure will.

There are a few different options depending on how an individual setup is wired and what solar regs, DC/DC devices are in use etc. but simplest way is just hook the sucker up in parallel.

Keep the lead as short as is convenient say 3 to 4 metres max and use reasonable gauge cable say 12 to 10 gauge and you won't have much voltage drop at all over the extra distance to the vehicle aux.

Great... My camper has the bcdc in there for the two batteries...
One more for you. The panels I borrowed from lucas30. His have the reg on the back. Say if I wanted to add his panels to my 180w setup for the extra help. Can I just clip his panels onto one of the batteries on my camper? Even though they are connected to my bcdc? If I can would it matter which battery?
Just trying to cover my bases here if need be.

the evil twin
9th January 2015, 03:41 PM
Great... My camper has the bcdc in there for the two batteries...

Awesome, it gives you a few options on what to do in future but as this is a one off...

The panels I borrowed from lucas30. His have the reg on the back. Say if I wanted to add his panels to my 180w setup for the extra help. Can I just clip his panels onto one of the batteries on my camper? Even though they are connected to my bcdc?

No, you will end up with a situation of bucking power supplies.
Either the BCDC will confuse the Solar Reg or more likely the other way around as the Panel Reg probably has a higher open circuit voltage and the BCDC will just sulk and do nothing... but def one or the other

The panels I borrowed from lucas30. His have the reg on the back.

If that is the case (and Lucas doesn't mind) the most efficient way would be to disconnect the solar panel cable that feeds into the solar panel onboard reg and connect the panel output direct to the input of the BCDC so his panel is now in parallel with yours.
Sometimes most efficient isn't the easiest or best way tho.

Next best would be to leave his gear as is and hook his Solar panel regulated output to your vehicle Aux battery.
If it is a one off trip, the vehicle isn't moving much and the fridge is staying in the car I would probably do that
Mainly as you have a lot of Solar for your Camper (and large battery capacity) already

Hope all that makes sense

mudski
9th January 2015, 04:56 PM
All makes sense thank you. When I get back I will get an extra single panel, get a BCDC1225 reg for the car to replace my SBI12 ( I think it can be done) so then I have the option of using the single panel for the car or add to the trailer. But if I were to run a lead from the car to the trailer for triple batts I'd have to have a switch of some sort to shut off the reg in the car wouldn't I?

the evil twin
9th January 2015, 06:10 PM
All makes sense thank you. When I get back I will get an extra single panel, get a BCDC1225 reg for the car to replace my SBI12 ( I think it can be done) so then I have the option of using the single panel for the car or add to the trailer. But if I were to run a lead from the car to the trailer for triple batts I'd have to have a switch of some sort to shut off the reg in the car wouldn't I?

If the existing aux is under the bonnet I would consider staying with the SBI12 and a seperate cheapish Solar Reg attached to the Aux that you plug the panel into.
Just means you have a high current path back to the Cranker for winching, jump starting etc. and much cheaper than buying a second BCDC
BUT
From what I can glean I think your camping profile may mean that a second BCDC is more appealing to you

If you put a second BCDC in the car then wire it as per figure 12.5 in the install manual.

This will mean that the car BCDC is not powered if the Ign is off and therefore;

Option A - Panel plugged into Car BCDC and Car NOT connected to camper.
The Car BCDC will run on Solar to charge the Aux unless Ign on and then the Alternator takkes over.

Option B - Panel plugged into the Camper array at the Camper BCDC and Car connected to Camper and Car ign off.
The Camper will have the larger Solar Array capacity available and the Camper BCDC will charge the Camper Battery Bank and the Car Aux all as one (the CAR BCDC will not be powered)

megatexture
9th January 2015, 08:30 PM
You've got me intrigued here. Do you have the lead with the anderson plug directly to the aux battery in the car then connect to one of the two batts in the camper? Two weeks camping with NO mains power I just want to be prepared... Dib, Dib, Dib.

I plug into the Anderson on the rear bar and then to a plug I've got on the trailer going straight to the batteries for this purpose.

mudski
9th January 2015, 09:25 PM
If the existing aux is under the bonnet I would consider staying with the SBI12 and a seperate cheapish Solar Reg attached to the Aux that you plug the panel into.
Just means you have a high current path back to the Cranker for winching, jump starting etc. and much cheaper than buying a second BCDC
BUT
From what I can glean I think your camping profile may mean that a second BCDC is more appealing to you

If you put a second BCDC in the car then wire it as per figure 12.5 in the install manual.

This will mean that the car BCDC is not powered if the Ign is off and therefore;

Option A - Panel plugged into Car BCDC and Car NOT connected to camper.
The Car BCDC will run on Solar to charge the Aux unless Ign on and then the Alternator takkes over.

Option B - Panel plugged into the Camper array at the Camper BCDC and Car connected to Camper and Car ign off.
The Camper will have the larger Solar Array capacity available and the Camper BCDC will charge the Camper Battery Bank and the Car Aux all as one (the CAR BCDC will not be powered)
If I don't really need the BCDC and can get away with a cheap'ish reg I would do that. But I need to sit down and work it out properly first.
Ideally. I'd like to be able to do this...
Be able to independantly connect a smaller panel to the aux in the car when need be. And. Be able to run the aux battery as a third battery with the two camper batteries.
My Aux is a deep cycle too, and the camper batts are the Gel type. Would this matter for charging purposes if all conected?

I plug into the Anderson on the rear bar and then to a plug I've got on the trailer going straight to the batteries for this purpose.
I have the same but my anderson on the rear of the car is to charge the batts whilst driving and also the panels plug into it.

megatexture
9th January 2015, 11:01 PM
The Anderson plug on my rear bar is straight to the aux batt on the gu

I have 3 Anderson plugs on the front of my camper,

one that connects to car for charging while driving via ctek on the camper.
One that's connects 2 the ctek for solar pannels (I also have one on the back depending on what way the campers facing)
One that goes straight to the batteries for linking the gu aux battery

the evil twin
9th January 2015, 11:17 PM
If I don't really need the BCDC and can get away with a cheap'ish reg I would do that. But I need to sit down and work it out properly first.
Ideally. I'd like to be able to do this...
Be able to independantly connect a smaller panel to the aux in the car when need be. And. Be able to run the aux battery as a third battery with the two camper batteries.
My Aux is a deep cycle too, and the camper batts are the Gel type. Would this matter for charging purposes if all conected?

You can do solar part easily by putting a Solar Reg across the Aux Battery.

The "third battery" becomes and issue because your Camper batteries are being charged by a BCDC.
For the Aux to become a third battery it will need to be downstream of the BCDC.
You will need to run a cable from the BCDC output back to the vehicle Anderson plug.
(the third cable that Mega refers to in his post)

The 'Gel' or 'not Gel' battery is not a problem.

mudski
10th January 2015, 12:44 AM
Thanks guys you have given me inspiration to spend more moolah. :thumbup:
Looks like mega is a ideas man too with his trailer.

the evil twin
10th January 2015, 12:55 AM
Thanks guys you have given me inspiration to spend more moolah. :thumbup:

I'd hold off for a while... you haven't got the Invoice for my Consultancy Fees yet.

mudski
10th January 2015, 03:03 PM
I'd hold off for a while... you haven't got the Invoice for my Consultancy Fees yet.

Basterd! :D

the evil twin
10th January 2015, 03:33 PM
Basterd! :D

ROFL... it's OK I work cheap.
Lets see, how about you buy the first round some day, somewhere (less Forum discount plus GST).
I don't take Credit, EFT or Cash... only beer

Like Mega, I had an Anderson that was connected straight to my batteries so I could add capacity easily.
Only difference was I had mine right beside the Camper battery stowage, circuit breakers and $12 Battery Monitor on the offside of the Camper to the tent.
Any convenient position works and Mega's is a good idea.

I haven't finished mod'ding my dinky little Van.
It will be as I suggested because it came with a Powertech non-Solar DC/DC Charger and already has 3 x 105 AH Deep Cycles onboard.
IE Panels with MPPT Reg and Anderson Plug, my Truck has dual sensing 150 Amp VSR so the Panels plug into the wherever they are needed, Truck, Camper or both if the rig is in towing config and Truck and Camper are connected at the tow hitch

mudski
10th January 2015, 06:25 PM
Mate if I ever get over your way I will be more than happy to put a slab on the table for you. And you too Mega! And Cuppa, and anyone else I have forgotten. Beer is the best currency.

lucus30
12th January 2015, 08:48 PM
Mate if I ever get over your way I will be more than happy to put a slab on the table for you. And you too Mega! And Cuppa, and anyone else I have forgotten. Beer is the best currency.

Beer surely is the best currency. Next time you come round we can have a few more

mudski
12th January 2015, 10:15 PM
Beer surely is the best currency. Next time you come round we can have a few more

Mate I had to make four piss stops on the way home from your place the other day. I probably shouldn't have driven after those two we had. Any more and I would be bunking at your place.

lucus30
13th January 2015, 09:38 AM
Mate I had to make four piss stops on the way home from your place the other day. I probably shouldn't have driven after those two we had. Any more and I would be bunking at your place.

Plenty of spare beds at mine