PDA

View Full Version : GQ Auto Transmission Leaking

WattsyGQ
2nd January 2015, 05:27 PM
Hey all, racked up some kilometres on the GQ over the last week and on the way home yesterday the auto started slipping really bad, mainly when it hit overdrive, any way it got home with overdrive disengaged. I checked the trans fluid today and it read fine on the cold level of the dipstick so I took it for a run to see if it was still slipping, it ran as normal and engaged overdrive fine, as I pulled up in the driveway I could smell the fluid and I could see it leaking underneath so I took these photo's and was wondering if anyone had some more information or advice to where it's leaking from or if its a huge job or not, any help appreciated, cheers.

Sorry about the photo's being upside down

the evil twin
2nd January 2015, 05:33 PM
I'd double check that is Tranny Fluid cobber.
From the colour, amount and where that leak is I reckon it is engine oil from the rear main engine seal... I could be wrong tho.

In regards your Tranny slipping I am not 100% familiar with the Series 1 transmission as it is diffferent to the Series 2.
Is your vehicle a Safari import or Aussie GQ... the imports are 24 volt including the electrics in the tranny.
Mine was a '94 series 2 so the switches and modes are different.

When was the auto last serviced?
How hot did the vehicle get?
If you are really lucky it may just need a flush, valve body tested and filter changes etc

taslucas
2nd January 2015, 08:44 PM
The main shaft seal for the torque converter went on mine and it leaked out of there. But as evil said above, rear main seal of the engine will leak through the same place.

Sherro
2nd January 2015, 08:44 PM
If it's trans fluid it will be leaking from the front seal where the converter goes into the pump but check your cooler lines where they go past the bell housing first to make sure they haven't worn through, if their ok then box out sorry might as well overhaul it while it out seeing it slipped in overdrive.

WattsyGQ
2nd January 2015, 08:52 PM
I'd double check that is Tranny Fluid cobber.
From the colour, amount and where that leak is I reckon it is engine oil from the rear main engine seal... I could be wrong tho.

In regards your Tranny slipping I am not 100% familiar with the Series 1 transmission as it is diffferent to the Series 2.
Is your vehicle a Safari import or Aussie GQ... the imports are 24 volt including the electrics in the tranny.
Mine was a '94 series 2 so the switches and modes are different.

When was the auto last serviced?
How hot did the vehicle get?
If you are really lucky it may just need a flush, valve body tested and filter changes etc

Hey mate, its an aussie GQ 12V, no idea when the auto was last serviced, i've only owned it for the last 2000 k's. The A/T oil temp light came on for ages (was in the line up for falls festival) and tried my best to cool it in the situation.

WattsyGQ
2nd January 2015, 08:53 PM
The main shaft seal for the torque converter went on mine and it leaked out of there. But as evil said above, rear main seal of the engine will leak through the same place.

I see, I'm fairly certain that it's tranny fluid cause its a red colour when you can see it properly

taslucas
2nd January 2015, 09:12 PM
What's the transmission fluid level like?
Hopefully the overheating wasn't caused by low fluid.

I'd agree with shero though, sounds like the front seal has gone in the box unfortunately.

the evil twin
2nd January 2015, 10:01 PM
Yep, I'm with the others if that is def tranny fluid... just looked awful black in the piccies so thought it may be engine oil.

Reckon you need a visit to the Transmission Doctor.
If there is one thing that hates getting overheated moe than an engine it is an auto tranny.

jff45
2nd January 2015, 10:47 PM
If your A/T temp light came on it means your trans reached 140 C which is really hot for non-synthetic ATF.
Your high temp could well be the result of the slippage you mention and, if it has happened frequently, will contribute to seal failure.

Dropping the pan will tell you a few things.. If it's clean and very little material on the magnet then it was serviced not long ago. If it's sludgy and has a fair bit of metal on the magnet don't waste too much money getting it flushed because it needs to come out. There's no miracle cure..

WattsyGQ
3rd January 2015, 09:41 AM
What's the transmission fluid level like?
Hopefully the overheating wasn't caused by low fluid.

I'd agree with shero though, sounds like the front seal has gone in the box unfortunately.

Trans fluid level is fine, I'm guessing it was just that it was stationary for so long in hot weather that caused the overheating of it

the evil twin
3rd January 2015, 12:24 PM
Trans fluid level is fine, I'm guessing it was just that it was stationary for so long in hot weather that caused the overheating of it

Uuummmm, I doubt it but... Don't guess, find out.
Next time it may not get you home.

Patrol Autos are reknowned for how tough they are so I would be sorting it out before anything terminal happened

menace 2
3rd January 2015, 07:01 PM
Id say with it being so dark in your photos , it may also be a combination of trans and engine oil...if you take the tranny out then also have a bo-peep at the rear main seal if you can