PDA

View Full Version : 2001 GU 3.0L Intercooled Turbo ST Wagon

tbone
1st January 2015, 01:42 PM
A few years back I got a pretty good deal on a 2001 GU 3.0L Intercooled Turbo Wagon. It served us well until a few months ago when the engine died 2 weeks after rego (cracked cylinder apparently). Quotes for a replacement engine came in at around $5k to $8k, so we decided to replace the vehicle instead. So now we're left with a vehicle that is in pretty good nick apart from the buggered engine. Most wreckers don't want anything to do with it and others expect me to give it to them for next to nothing.

Thought I'd jump onto the forum to see if anyone might be interested in it for parts or a project? 53294532955329653297Anyway, if anyone out there is interested, please feel free to drop me a line.

Price: All reasonable offers considered
Condition: Some wear and tear as you'd expect for a 2001 model, plus it needs an engine replacement
Details of recent work done prior to 2014 rego: replaced glow plugs, replaced rear sway bar link rods, replaced drive belt & tensioner pulley, replaced front hub oil seals, installed re-conditioned intercooler, new h/duty clutch kit, installed old man emu suspension + all usual routine servicing (every 5,000km)
Odometer: approx. 300k
Extras: Steel Bullbar, HID Driving Lights, Snorkel, UHF, CD Player, Alloy Side Steps, Tow Bar, Tinted Windows

Stropp
1st January 2015, 02:46 PM
Good luck mate, it would make an ideal engine swap project for someone.

jff45
1st January 2015, 04:09 PM
I'd be interested to know what you think your vehicle is worth in its current state.

A 2001 ZD30 with 300k (it did well to get that far if it's the original motor) is not worth a real lot as a runner.

threedogs
1st January 2015, 04:26 PM
If monies allowed a GM LS conversion would be sweet.
Whats the going rate for a neat GU with a dead 3ltr.
Ball park as accessories dont add to value they are just a bonus imo

jff45
1st January 2015, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure it's all that neat. It's described as "Some wear and tear as you'd expect for a 2001 model"
It's also mentioned that the wreckers don't want to know..
I'd it were here in Brisbane, I'd offer 2k for it if the panels are straight. Otherwise there's not much that could sell quickly.

threedogs
1st January 2015, 06:24 PM
Wow that much I'd be gutted, but like George I'll be putting a LS1 in it.
no point IMO putting in a 4.2 and going slower plus fuel is about the same.
that is the LS1 and the 4.2

tbone
2nd January 2015, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure it's all that neat. It's described as "Some wear and tear as you'd expect for a 2001 model"
It's also mentioned that the wreckers don't want to know..
I'd it were here in Brisbane, I'd offer 2k for it if the panels are straight. Otherwise there's not much that could sell quickly.

There is a minor ding in the drivers side front panel, just in front of the drivers door, apart from that the panels are all good.

I'm pretty realistic in my expectations as to what I might be able to sell it for...if I could get $2k I'd be happy with that, but am open to offers below that as well. I toyed with the idea of keeping it as a engine swap/conversion project for myself, but as it was our daily drive, I needed to get another vehicle to get back on the road and that kinda swallowed up any funds I had to put towards the conversion.

Anyway...with a bit of luck there's someone out there who might want it as a project or even as a pile of parts.

jff45
2nd January 2015, 10:44 AM
At least you're being sensible.. Most of those who advocate "just drop an LS1 into it" have never done it and don't realise the free time and spare cash you need for such a project.
The honest ones will tell you that you won't have much left from $15k even doing a lot yourself and that's taking a punt on secondhand engine and trans..
Those who have the money to burn and pay someone to do it wouldn't start with a 2001 with a 300k kms chassis, IMO..

threedogs
2nd January 2015, 10:50 AM
@jff45 I "dropped" a 350 chev into my other 4x4 as it was cheaper than rebuilding the motor.
will be doing the same with my GU if the motor ever lets go. I'm well aware of costs involved
Out of interest did your 2001 have NADS fitted to it?

jff45
2nd January 2015, 12:14 PM
If it were an old carby 350 then you might just drop it in more or less but an electronically controlled LS1 is a slightly different deal. I doubt we should be comparing the 2 .. or I totally missed your point..

BTW, my comments weren't aimed specifically at you. They were just general..

mrhr33
7th July 2015, 09:10 PM
Evening, did you end up selling? Or still for sale? Cheers

tbone
8th July 2015, 08:52 AM
Evening, did you end up selling? Or still for sale? Cheers

G'day mate,

Yeah, she's still for sale...although I haven't been advertising it much lately. I've sold a couple of parts off it (roof rack & re-conditioned intercooler), but apart from that it is just as it was before.

I think I have pretty realistic expectations about what it is worth in its current condition, so if you're interested I'm pretty confident we could come to some sort of deal.

Cheers,

Tom

threedogs
8th July 2015, 10:08 AM
there is a new section on the forum to sell, not sure what its called or how it works
but seems to be the way to go

mudski
1st August 2015, 12:50 PM
You wanna cheap zd30 to chuck in it? Got about 180thou on it since the rebuild. Mines coming out soon. Goes great. Doesnt use oil. Just a dead injector pump.

jay see
2nd August 2015, 01:26 AM
You wanna cheap zd30 to chuck in it? Got about 180thou on it since the rebuild. Mines coming out soon. Goes great. Doesnt use oil. Just a dead injector pump.

Trying to build those funds hey.
Why not and help someone out at the same time. Win win.

mudski
2nd August 2015, 09:21 PM
Need as much coin as i can...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk