PDA

View Full Version : Forward Fold Camper Trailer

HuskyInAuz
31st December 2014, 09:32 PM
Looking at a slightly used MDC forward fold camper trailer (2013)... I'm getting mixed reviews anyone out there have one? They do have issues, I'm not concerned about upgrading or improving upon what's there, but if the basic build is not capable of serious offroad travel, I'll look elsewhere. Broadwater seems to have a good review and comments from users but they are 1000 kms away :( .

The other non-Patrol forum (myxxxx.org) seems to have a few posters that don't understand the meaning of 'camaraderie' and can't seem to spell or understand what that might be all about so I'm hesitant to query there.

Thanks in advance..

oncedisturbed
31st December 2014, 09:48 PM
Have a chat to Doggy as I think he bought 1 of these models.

Stropp
31st December 2014, 09:52 PM
Doggy will give you the rundown, don't think he is too impressed.

Clunk
31st December 2014, 09:55 PM
not sure if Doggys is the forward folding jobby but he's not happy with it what ever it is, neither was Mudski with his MDC purchase

the evil twin
31st December 2014, 10:10 PM
MDC looked after me when mine broke a fetlock at Docker River.
I was crapping myself with the logistics of getting an entire axle assy to Yulara but they had it sorted and all repairs paid IE I didn't have to pay and get anything reimbursed.
Just picked it up when it was fixed and kept on going.
When I got back to Perth they pulled the "old" suspension off and put an upgraded version with higher rated coils (Kings) and shocks on again at no charge.

Some of the workmanship is really shithouse and needed repairs or sorting out.
I give them the benefit of the doubt and call it the chinese part of the build.

Components on mine leave me a tad perplexed
Some are top brand, some are el cheapo.
Slide out Kitchen, BBQ, Water Heater, Water Pump, Shower and Water Heater are all leading brand.
Electronics are middle of the range Tank Contents Gauge, DC/DC Charger, 240 Volt Multi stage Charger, Inverter
Electric Awning is cheapo but darn handy
Cooper Tyres but on flimsy Chinee mags
Mattress is terrible IMHO but that can be a personal choice

Mine still needs a few things done but MDC have been amenable to date

mudski
31st December 2014, 11:03 PM
ET it seems the MDC shop that looked after you had people that cared. Where I got mine they didn't give a rats. Having said that after all the mods and repairs I have done I now have a bloody good camper.
Thats all I got now sorry. Its new years and I am quite under the weather. ..

Woof
31st December 2014, 11:24 PM
Got my trailer back this afternoon after 3 months waiting for a replacement tent that went mouldy and 4 weeks at the dealers getting it installed.
Have not had a look yet but they have assured me that all is good now, the manager told me to call him anytime if I have the slightest issue with it again.
My biggest issue was the time it took to action this issue, I should not have had to go down to the dealers and rip everyone a new one.

My trailer is the rear folding one

HuskyInAuz
31st December 2014, 11:40 PM
Thanks to all ... sounds like I might want to drive to QLD to Broadwater and Ecomate FF CT's to look at. I ultimately think a Lifestyle AT-xx is what we'd end up with but not going to jump that high of an outlay immediately (easier to buy that sell ;).

Or the alternative would be to upgrade an 3-5 y/o Penguin. I do like projects..

the evil twin
31st December 2014, 11:54 PM
Snip.. I ultimately think a Lifestyle AT-xx is what we'd end up with but not going to jump high of an outlay immediately (easier to buy that sell ;).

I have the MDC copy of the AT-10.

I bought the MDC XT-10 mainly because the wait list for a Lifestyle was nearly 12 months when I was buying.

Agronaught
1st January 2015, 09:48 AM
Geez, I'm glad I went the camel. No issue, no problems. Only complaint is the ball weight is more than ideal for a camper of the size.

Stropp
1st January 2015, 01:15 PM
Geez, I'm glad I went the camel. No issue, no problems. Only complaint is the ball weight is more than ideal for a camper of the size.

Camel balls are heavy ? :smileyvault-cute-bi