PDA

View Full Version : 93 efi tb42 patrol leaking coolant out the over flow bottle any ideas why?

bfcake
8th March 2011, 03:17 PM
hey guys im new to the forum from the bendigo squadron. i was wondering if any one had any ideas to why this is happening ive had the radiator cleaned and recod new radiator cap and its still emptying itself via overflow bottle....... any ideas.....??????

shorty lover
8th March 2011, 03:26 PM
Is that the rb30 donk??? Slightley blown head???? try pk combustion test

rkinsey
8th March 2011, 03:38 PM
Does it happen if you run the unit without the Thermostat? If it does it may indicate a warped head which produces blowback or pressure buildup in the system and the only place of least resistance is the overflow valve/pipe.

Have the system preasure tested at least.

Cheers,

Rob

bfcake
8th March 2011, 03:52 PM
4.2ltr efi.... will try a presure test then i hope its not the head but wouldnt suprise me ive had the patrol for 4months the guy before me got the head done maybe a dodgey job.....
thanks for the replies guys.

rkinsey
8th March 2011, 03:57 PM
4.2ltr efi.... will try a presure test then i hope its not the head but wouldnt suprise me ive had the patrol for 4months the guy before me got the head done maybe a dodgey job.....

Its certainly possible to have a doggy job done. I had a aloy head replaced on a magna a few years ago and they had just welded a crack up which failed 6 months later and deposited oil throughout the cooling system not top mention the damage to the head itself.

I ended up losing that magna because of the doggy job.

If you have a stuffed aloy head, replace it, dont get it "repaired"

Cheers,

Rob

AB
8th March 2011, 04:01 PM
hey guys im new to the forum from the bendigo squadron. i was wondering if any one had any ideas to why this is happening ive had the radiator cleaned and recod new radiator cap and its still emptying itself via overflow bottle....... any ideas.....??????
Just checking, Is it running hot?

Is there a little bit coming out or is it literally "emptying itself" like you mentioned.

bfcake
8th March 2011, 04:26 PM
i took the car down to melbourne saturday it sat on a quarter all the way down then started to get hot thru the city stoped at a mates house for a bit let it cool down then refilled the raditor bout 3ltrs of water. drove back to bendigo it was fine used about a litre back..

the evil twin
8th March 2011, 05:21 PM
i took the car down to melbourne saturday it sat on a quarter all the way down then started to get hot thru the city stoped at a mates house for a bit let it cool down then refilled the raditor bout 3ltrs of water. drove back to bendigo it was fine used about a litre back..

Thats not fine man... thats about 999 millilitres too much. The EFI's will use a small amount of coolant but only over thousands of K's and even then not a Litre.

I reckon you still have Cylinder Head issues

bfcake
8th March 2011, 05:32 PM
by fine i was meaning it didnt get hot... im guessing its the head then by everyones posts

89GQ
8th March 2011, 05:37 PM
Can a stuffed radiator cap do this? Mine was preasurising in the overflow years ago ! Got a new rad cap and fixed it! Cheap option to try first!!

bfcake
8th March 2011, 06:54 PM
i have purchased two radiator caps and still the same issue wish it was that easy

89GQ
8th March 2011, 08:59 PM
Do you flush out your heater hoses when changing coolant not that that would make alot of diff. Preasure test, and just a head gasket hopefully. Good luck.

bfcake
8th March 2011, 09:45 PM
yeah hopefully nothing serious thanks for replies guys