PDA

View Full Version : Rear swing away options

threedogs
18th December 2014, 04:37 PM
All you DIY ppl out there These are great for any rear bar swing away build
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321487147003?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

BigRAWesty
18th December 2014, 05:46 PM
Nice mate. Next year lol

threedogs
18th December 2014, 06:18 PM
Thats about the going price , you can get longer stub axle if you look around a bit.

macca
18th December 2014, 08:39 PM
And a latch

Starting to make one for my pod, so have been looking...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121228646261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

BigRAWesty
18th December 2014, 10:28 PM
And a latch

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121228646261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I was actually going to incorporate a self close setup for both doors lol.. See how I go

megatexture
18th December 2014, 11:22 PM
And a latch

Hey macca do you know if this can take a locking pin?

BigRAWesty
19th December 2014, 12:01 AM
It does look to have some sort of ability to have a lock on it.
Where the handle reduces looks to be some sort of cradle around the handle.
A long shank lock could work there

macca
19th December 2014, 01:26 PM
I don't reckon it has anything for a pin or padlock. I'm going to be down that way next week, thought about going to have a look at what they have in stock.

macca
19th December 2014, 01:29 PM
I'm having 2 pivot points and the stub axle won't work, been recommended to use acetal needs machining to shape. That will be an after Christmas job.

macca
19th December 2014, 01:35 PM
The start of the project LOL

threedogs
19th December 2014, 01:52 PM
@ Macca that lower bar that goes horizontal, I lot of members in my club have extended it about 100mm
To accommodate the VHS antenna, I used to make a bolt on extension, as down here space for that style antenna is
at a premium, bullbars are a no no.
Whats acetal?

macca
19th December 2014, 02:40 PM
Acetal is a machineable plastic / nylon that has low friction but high compression resistance. Ideal for this type of bushing. No good in suspension as it has no give. I have been assured it will cope with our terrible corrogations. Will get a 50 mm diameter piece 200mm long and get 2 bushes made 30mm diameter with a 10mm collar for the load bearing part. 12mm HT bolts for the pivot so should be sweet.

A link

http://www.dotmar.com.au/acetal.html

macca
20th December 2014, 10:49 AM
Have to wait until the new year to do any more work on this.

threedogs
20th December 2014, 11:05 AM
I have some dark blue poly something here that was machined for a body lift so I take it
it would be similar, this stuff has no give at all.
Being a pod I thought you would swing down using bonnet style struts.
I did see one build years ago for a lady doing the big lap.
They mounted two wheel/tyre combos behind the cabin.
and "caged" them in when open these "cages acted as a tracks to roll the wheels down
no lifting at all. I thought at the time what a great idea

macca
20th December 2014, 11:19 AM
My pod is not like the Telstra ones, think it must have been a custom build for the original owner.

I have a small door at the back with a jerry can either side.

This spare fits between the jerry's but need to swing so we can still have access to the door and set the ladder up to get into the roof top tent.

macca
20th December 2014, 11:21 AM
I have some dark blue poly something here that was machined for a body lift so I take it
it would be similar, this stuff has no give at all.

Sounds like the same properties, one difference this acetal acts as a bush so is able to handle movement.

BigRAWesty
20th December 2014, 11:50 AM
This double pivot sounds interesting. Is it to swing the tyres right out of the way, or to swing them down aswell??

threedogs
20th December 2014, 12:33 PM
So if I have it right you'll have a bush in the base not unlike a leaf spring bush[yellow]
and a similar bush at the top, will these be greasable or not required ?
you could have used two plumbing blocks as well I suppose

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-25mm-Bore-Diameter-Ball-Bearing-Pillow-Block-/281196197523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4178997693

macca
20th December 2014, 12:36 PM
Biggq it only swings away for access to the rear.

Here is sort of how it will sit. Swings to the right so the tyre clears the Jerry when opened

macca
20th December 2014, 12:53 PM
So if I have it right you'll have a bush in the base not unlike a leaf spring bush[yellow]
and a similar bush at the top, will these be greasable or not required ?
you could have used two plumbing blocks as well I suppose

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-25mm-Bore-Diameter-Ball-Bearing-Pillow-Block-/281196197523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4178997693

That's interesting John, I was originally going to use a bearing, needed one to take thrust or side load. Was told due to the corogations the bearing wears and they won't run smoothly.

The Bush will be exactly like a leaf spring Bush, I have been assured it will cope with the loads applied.

Also intend to have the latch end located on a pin, bushed as well so movement will be limited.

Need wait until after the break to get the bits made to finish it.

BigRAWesty
20th December 2014, 01:03 PM
The amount of weight your putting on them and the amount of use they will get I wouldn't be worried about bearing wear.
And when your driving it'll be supported but the cradle and latch anyway.

Either option, bearing or bush will be fine imo.
Even a setup without that top mount wound be ample in my eyes as before, when driving it'll be supported by cradle and latch.

macca
20th December 2014, 01:47 PM
Even a setup without that top mount wound be ample in my eyes as before, when driving it'll be supported by cradle and latch.

I haven't got enough strength in the area of the lower pivot to support this combined weight, so the top should help with the whole design. I hope.

BigRAWesty
20th December 2014, 04:04 PM
Fair enough.

macca
20th December 2014, 05:00 PM
Had part of an old shackle so will use this as the pivot pin and get the bushes made from the correct material, got to find a piece of 35mm i.d. pipe, weld it to the swing away and then will be able to sort the pivot out.

BigRAWesty
20th December 2014, 05:05 PM
What about a simple peice of 32nb tube and the nylon machined down to suit and drilled.

macca
20th December 2014, 06:36 PM
Good idea, will look for a bit to do the job.

macca
23rd December 2014, 04:27 PM
Arrived in Victoria yesterday, went for a run to Traralgon Trailers in Morwell. You Vic people have a quirky sense of humour. Any way they had 3 different types of latch, was good to compare. Bought this one. Also got a pack of bushes cheap at Repco, not the good acetal stuff, but can get some made of that in the future if warranted. Had a coffee with Roofy and Jane on the way back to the mother in laws. Great to catch up again and talk trips, that Simpson trip sounded great.

Stropp
24th December 2014, 11:55 AM
Had a coffee with Roofy and Jane on the way back to the mother in laws. Great to catch up again and talk trips, that Simpson trip sounded great

mate nice people that Roofy and Jane, simmo trip was a fantastic trip :)

macca
11th January 2015, 07:53 PM
Been working on the project.

Ninety percent finished.

Needs drop bolts to hold open, grease nipples and nyloc nuts for the pivots.

Might need some extra bracing, will check others for movement, if they do it I'll leave mine.

Small and large grey plates are to support top pivot and latch, ally sheet is fairly thin and needed reinforcing.

A pin locates the LHS in a "orange" bush under the pod, works surprisingly well.

macca
11th January 2015, 08:02 PM
What about a simple peice of 32nb tube and the nylon machined down to suit and drilled.

Got some "steam pipe", ran a 35mm holesaw then sand paper on a stick in the drill to clean the seam weld.

Worked a treat.

The bushes are the same as the rear springs on mine are so have some emergency spares!

Worked a treat.

BigRAWesty
11th January 2015, 08:40 PM
Got some "steam pipe", ran a 35mm holesaw then sand paper on a stick in the drill to clean the seam weld.

Worked a treat.

The bushes are the same as the rear springs on mine are so have some emergency spares!

Worked a treat.

Great to hear

macca
14th January 2015, 03:29 PM
Got the last bits and finished it completely.

Works as it should, added a little strengthening where others suggested at last night's club meeting. New eyes gave good advice.

Very happy.

Now the pod is empty, LOL

threedogs
14th January 2015, 04:04 PM
I may be just me but I would put the bolt through from the top as if nut falls off bolt remains '
thats if, the way it is now if nut falls off bolt will fall out and thats that.
Other than that it looks the goods

macca
14th January 2015, 05:08 PM
I may be just me but I would put the bolt through from the top as if nut falls off bolt remains '
thats if, the way it is now if nut falls off bolt will fall out and thats that.
Other than that it looks the goods

There is a bit of a plate on the bolt "head" not seen in the photo. Its silver and is just visible.

If it was to fall out the angle iron bracket fixing bolts stop it from falling out.

Cheers for looking out for me LOL

Stropp
14th January 2015, 06:00 PM
nice job Macca, looks nice and sturdy.

macca
15th January 2015, 07:41 AM
There's a better photo TD