PDA

View Full Version : Ironman tell me?

growler2058
16th December 2014, 09:08 PM
Howdy fellas. Tell me why should I buy an ironman snorkel over a safari for my crd. Cmon sell it to me ;)

MEGOMONSTER
16th December 2014, 10:14 PM
Howdy fellas. Tell me why should I buy an ironman snorkel over a safari for my crd. Cmon sell it to me ;)

Cos it exactly the same as a safari snorkel apart from the Iron man head.

Stropp
16th December 2014, 10:40 PM
Cos it exactly the same as a safari snorkel apart from the Iron man head.

While I haven't seen an ironman snorkel I would like to see them side by side to see if the quality and thickness is the same.

MEGOMONSTER
16th December 2014, 11:10 PM
While I haven't seen an ironman snorkel I would like to see them side by side to see if the quality and thickness is the same.

Not sure, a mate bought one for his Shitlux and said it's exactly the same as the Safari snorkel, so I'm only going off what he said.

Stropp
16th December 2014, 11:47 PM
Not sure, a mate bought one for his Shitlux and said it's exactly the same as the Safari snorkel, so I'm only going off what he said.

When I was looking at them I checked a few and the quality was no where near that of the safari imho

Punderhead
16th December 2014, 11:57 PM
You shouldn't. Quality isn't comparable. My mate had one, and it cracked along the inside, where the fitting would join to the air box line. We went through a deep puddle thinking he would be fine next minute engine was hydraulics. Since then he has gotten a safari, had no problems, but always checks it's sealed before a crossing.

cgm
17th December 2014, 01:00 AM
What sort of price difference is there between the two?

Stropp
17th December 2014, 01:15 AM
What sort of price difference is there between the two?

Possibly an engine ;)

cgm
17th December 2014, 01:39 AM
Possibly an engine ;)

Ha Ha, I like that. I think it is an interesting discussion. If they are bad would have expected more stories like Punderhead's? Don't see many of those stories, although he has just given an example I guess. Maybe you're right and it's not worth the risk.

Just stuck a search in Google and could see lots of questions, but in 5 minutes of skimming, nothing obvious about issues.

Ironman 4x4
17th December 2014, 03:28 AM

Hey Growler2058,

Sorry I've been delayed in getting back to you. I'm currently away on leave and doing a self drive tour of Southern Africa (spent the day driving the sand dunes of Namibia!). So I apologize if future responses are sporadic - internet connectivity isn't always easy to come by here!

In answer to your question, because they are a great product at a great price! Don't have any worries about the quality of the snorkel - we use materials that meet the stringent Australian standards for UV stabilisation and our own for strength and airflow. We have the highest possible manufacturing quality as we as a company are certified with ISO 9001 (Quality Management Systems) which extends to all our factories and offices.

I'll note our snorkels aren't a copy of a Safari, there are differences (no better or worse - just differences), though they are very similar in looks.

Situations like Punderheads are very unfortunate to hear, and if there was a manufacturing fault under warranty with the snorkel we would back it up 100% - though there are many other reasons a snorkel could crack including installation (clamp being overtightened), or mal-treatment i.e. snorkel/panel pushed in from outside causing a crack. I'm absolutely not saying this is what happened, but rather pointing out there are many ways a snorkel could fail and many aren't a result of the quality of the snorkel itself - installation especially is one of the most important parts, and this can often extend to checking all the seals of other parts of the intake including the O-ring on the airbox (on my GU the stock foam seal had well and truely ceased - I called Nizbits to send a new O-ring).

So to put it straight we offer a great product, that looks great and performs equally as well as any other quality snorkel on the market. But we offer the bonus of having them at often a lower price than our competitors ($320 plus install) and available at any of our 800+ distributors Australia wide.

Hope that helps mate! If you're doing the install yourself make sure to triple check the template against the body before drilling, and if you aren't comfortable about any part of it, feel free to call our office 1300 731 137 and ask for David Menzies (our tech manager) or even myself if it's in the new year (Matt Perkins).

If you've got any further questions please feel free to reply. I apologize in advance for my delay in replying!

Hope you guys have a great holiday period!

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

growler2058
17th December 2014, 05:14 AM
Super fast response Matt cheers. We would expect to see plenty of pics here on the forum when you get back ;)
Ok I'm in!!
Yup will be installing myself

jay see
17th December 2014, 06:47 AM
Super fast response Matt cheers. We would expect to see plenty of pics here on the forum when you get back ;)
Ok I'm in!!
Yup will be installing myself

Hope to see a review on this.

growler2058
17th December 2014, 06:58 AM
Hope to see a review on this.

Of the instal or the desert

Ben-e-boy
17th December 2014, 07:00 AM
Situations like Punderheads are very unfortunate to hear, and if there was a manufacturing fault under warranty with the snorkel we would back it up 100%.

If you've got any further questions please feel free to reply. I apologize in advance for my delay in replying!

Hope you guys have a great holiday period!

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Can you elaborate on that. My idea of 100% backing may be different.
Hypothetically, if that was to happen to me with my engine and it hydrauliced because of manufacturer fault, ruining internals and the head.
Would that be replaced/repaired?

BigRAWesty
17th December 2014, 07:56 AM
Hypothetically, if that was to happen to me with my engine and it hydrauliced because of manufacturer fault, ruining internals and the head.

Only if installed by a dealer. Anything like that and a self install I think you'll be pushing shoit uphill

jay see
17th December 2014, 08:13 AM
Of the instal or the desert

Install and comes pics of the desert would be nice.

Ironman 4x4
17th December 2014, 08:23 AM

Hey Ben-e-boy,

That's a hard one and really would depend on the situation. If there was a crack in the snorkel (which would have to be pretty obvious), then I'd hope to hell that the installer picks it up before it's installed. The opening line of the instructions is to ensure the snorkel is specified to suit your vehicle (you'd be surprised how many people get this one wrong and don't double check before cutting and drilling) and is free from defects (anything obvious like cracks etc.).

The main times you'd really see a manufacturer defect coming into play is if there was a bad mould of an individual snorkel and for some reason they didn't align correctly with the template or worse a template in the box that wasn't at the correct scale (we see this most when people print the online ones without the correct scale - which is why we took them offline). This is where we would be definately helping out. Be it covering the cost of panel beating or a new panel.

To get to the point of hydrolocking an engine, something very suss would have to be up, as the manufacturing fault would generally be there already. If a faulty snorkel wasn't triple checked by the installer we'd definately have a chat. But for a crack to appear post installation, generally speaking I'd assume something else has happened to cause it. If it can be shown that this was a manufacturing error, that was unable to be picked up a the point of installation, then yes there is a good possibility that we'd be covering the costs of a rebuild. But again this is all hypothetical, it'd all come down to the individual situation. We are generally very generous with our support. We've assisted with products well outside of warranty, misuse and a myriad of other things, but often these are done as a gesture of good will, not warranty and again our decisions to undertake these are taken on a case by case basis.

And yes there will be plenty of pics posted up :D though I'll apologise in advance... I'm driving on the dark side right now... A 79 Series dual cab with a 1hz up front. Patrols are a rare breed over here. I'm desperately missing the power of my Grenade... the 1HZ leaves much to be desired! Heading to Etosha National Park tomorrow before heading over to Botswana and finally back down to South Africa.

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

cgm
17th December 2014, 09:46 AM
Thanks Matt, two really good responses. Appreciate that you so directly participate.

Punderhead
17th December 2014, 11:25 AM
Just thought id clarify my post as it has started a few hypotheticals.

My mate bought the snorkel new.

We installed it ourselves. We had thoroughly checked it was sealed.

It was about a year and a half old when said incident happened.

Given it was over 12 months old, and we had installed it ourselves, we didn't even try to contact ironman, as we presumed we would be told to get lost, however I am happy to hear you say that you would have looked at it for manufacturing defects, and will bear that in mind in the future.

The crack was in the plastic itself, not one of the seams.

The snorkel had started to fade a little in the sun.

While things may have changed, I found the safari to be made of higher quality plastic.

I'm not trying to have a go at ironman, however in my experience I would choose the safari over the ironman.

And I'm well aware that many people run ironman snorkels trouble free.

Cheers

Stropp
17th December 2014, 11:28 AM
cheers for your input Matt, i think we are all impressed that you have answered the questions in detail, great service in my opinion and in no way was i having a go at your product as i said i havent seen one side by side with the competitions snorkel but would still be curious to see them. cheers Stropp

megatexture
17th December 2014, 05:01 PM

If you don't buy one they won't be able to do a self drive tour of Europe next year lol

growler2058
17th December 2014, 06:25 PM
Ok I've bought 1 I'll be fitting it this weekend
Firstly Matt is this the right 1 it doesn't say CRD but the blokes told me it's the only 1 listed. It looks right in the install diagrams
Now the first thing I've noticed with the template is the Ariel hole to align the template ain't there. What I mean is my Ariel is on the drivers side not passengers
Also the template doesn't align perfectly with the guard lines. Is there any tolerance here?

Avo
17th December 2014, 10:47 PM
maybe they could send me one for Christmas,that way they'll get a fuzzy feeling from giving and I can show you when you visit...creek crossing could go a bit deeper then hey stropp

04OFF
18th December 2014, 03:18 AM
After what my Safari Snorkel has been through (car rolled on it twice) and still looks and works great, and looking at how the LHF Guard was unsalvageable after the roll, yet the snorkel was only damaged cosmetically (im still using the same one), to be honest, I doubt you could split one to the point of leaking without being in a major accident.

Even just a few weeks back i was doing a hill climb, didn't make it, and slid sideways into a tree, snorkel got some love again, i didn't worry about the snorkel, knowing that the guard would give way long before the plastic.......

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/tree.jpg