PDA

View Full Version : Diesel conversion

Rossco
2nd July 2010, 07:48 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if any one has done a diesel conversion on a 4.2 petrol Patrol?. I am considering doing this using the amsome TD42, turboed. I have just bult myself a new garage and looking for a project and just hope I don't bite off more than I can chew.
Anyway any advice from anyone who has gone down the same track would be great. Cheers.

AB
3rd July 2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Rossco,

I've never done it personally but would imagine it being a very labour intensive job, not difficult just take a long time.

If I was going to undertake a job like this I would try and find a ride off and park it beside yours and swap all the gear over one by one.

obviously youll need an engine crane or serious beams on your shed.

Big job but if It's not your everyday car then it would be a great project.

You could hunt around on ebay and other sites for the right parts but personally I would be on the hunt for a written off vehicle you can put beside yours.

Hopefully someone else here who's done it can help you further.

YNOT
3rd July 2010, 02:09 PM
Like Andy, I've never done this conversion but thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.
As Andy said, if you can have a complete donor diesel vehicle side by side (or close by anyway), then that will make the change over much simpler, and ensure you have all the parts you need.
Engine mount brackets are the same so no problem there. If you retain your original gearbox (petrol) you will need to swap bell housings. Fuel pipe, filter and hoses will need to be swapped over. As will front wiring loom, glow plug module, probably some relays and possibly the instrument cluster. The diesel radiator may be different. You can start to see why it would be easier having a complete donor vehicle.

It is a big job, but if you go about it the right way, it won't be too difficult.

Tony