PDA

View Full Version : GQ no go nowhere!

Drew43
13th December 2014, 10:20 AM
Hi guys, long time lurker, frequent knowledge gatherer now with a problem beyond my skills.

Yesterday morning drive to work all normal. In the arvo my clutch pedal was very soft, with only the last 1/4 of travel having any pressure and allowing me to change gears.
I found the clutch fluid reservoir empty so topped it up with brake fluid, drove home and it was marginally better.

Today, same clutch feel (bugger all), but when a gear is selected i can take my foot all the way off the clutch and it has no drive like it's in neutral.

97 GQII RD28T (sorry) if it helps.

Any help appreciated greatly.

4bye4
13th December 2014, 10:33 AM
Hi Drew, you might like to drop past the intro thread and introduce yourself. Having said that, I'd be looking for the clutch fluid. It must be going somewhere so find tyhe "wet spot". That may give you a clue as to where to start. Tony

Drew43
13th December 2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks mate, the reservoir is still full and i can't see a leak anywhere. I do remeber reading here that patrol clutches don't give a lot of warning before they give up completely? If it was a master/slave fault surely i would still be able drive but have to rev-match?

Bloodyaussie
13th December 2014, 10:39 AM
Yeah mate welcome aboard and I will save you the usual but sound like maybe a slave cylinder... check if there is any fluid around it at all, you might need someone to actuate the clutch while you get under the car to see.

Drew43
13th December 2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks I'll check it out when the bride gets home and i can get her on the pedal.
Much appreciated.

Stropp
13th December 2014, 11:19 AM
also if the master cylinder was empty you may have an airlock in the line which means you will need to bleed it, also check around the inside of the wheels for damp spots to find out where the fluid is going.

Drew43
13th December 2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the advice. Found a split rubber hose from the bottol of the steel hose from the master cylinder. Every time i push the clutch it spits a little bubble out. Bled the system top and bottom now driving sweet, search for the part on monday.
Also I figuref out why it had NO drive... after installing the UHF radio this morning I had left the transfer case in neutral... Whoops!! :)

Stropp
13th December 2014, 09:18 PM
Also I figuref out why it had NO drive... after installing the UHF radio this morning I had left the transfer case in neutral... Whoops!! :)

Ah that old trick, more common than you think.

BigRAWesty
13th December 2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. Found a split rubber hose from the bottol of the steel hose from the master cylinder. Every time i push the clutch it spits a little bubble out. Bled the system top and bottom now driving sweet, search for the part on monday.

Welcome mate. At least you found your problem.
While the clutch system is apart it's probably a good time to throw a seal kit in the master and slave cylinders. Save them letting go later

Winnie
13th December 2014, 10:22 PM
Ah that old trick, more common than you think.

I did a similar thing with my Corolla. It's an auto and could not work out why it wouldn't start after I put a CD player in it... I left it in gear to make more room and did not think to put it back in park

taslucas
13th December 2014, 11:26 PM
I did a similar thing with my Corolla. It's an auto and could not work out why it wouldn't start after I put a CD player in it... I left it in gear to make more room and did not think to put it back in park

Classic Winnie

liftlid
14th December 2014, 08:00 AM
A spare master and slave cyl is something cheap enough to Cary in your spares,