PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems on my 2.8 GU

twiggsy
7th March 2011, 10:09 AM
have just noticed that my troll is making a crunching/grinding noise when i take off from a complete stop. but only in first. i tried it starting in second and not a problem. i knew my clutch was on its way out already but is this just a clutch problem? is that the clutch slipping when in first?

sorry have not got a clue about anything mechanical.

twiggsy
7th March 2011, 10:10 AM
oh and it is only for like a second, once the big girl gets moving its fine. its just as i initially take off.

YNOT
7th March 2011, 10:44 AM
Hard to say without hearing it but it could be a failing dual mass flywheel.

Tony

thin on top
9th March 2011, 09:13 PM
Strange that its only in First, I would have thought if it was the clutch/flyweel it would be worse taking off in second.
Like Tony says, really need to hear and feel it.

Phil

twiggsy
10th March 2011, 10:45 AM
have booked it in for tuesday to get fixed. driving the second car around for the time being. yeah its started happening in second now aswell. am getting the clutch replaced.

thin on top
11th March 2011, 09:30 AM
I will be interested to hear what they find, and also the cost, clutches with dual mass flywheels are not cheap

twiggsy
16th March 2011, 11:07 AM
mate had the clutch replaced, converted it to a solid mass flywheel. so its no longer dual. mechanic reckons it may be a bit noisier now (gearbox) but not a real problem. took it for a drive and perfect. im going back this arvo to fix up the account. i live in a country town and need the car today and literally live 5 or so down from the mechanic. he stated they have done it before there and there has been no issues with them. should be around the 1500 mark. if i had the dual mass it would have been an extra 1000 on top of that.

it was the flywheel that was busted.

YNOT
16th March 2011, 12:26 PM
it was the flywheel that was busted.

Gold star for me!!!

Tony

Bigrig
16th March 2011, 12:32 PM
Gold star for me!!!

Tony

To add to your ever growing collection!!

twiggsy
16th March 2011, 03:40 PM
thanks guys