PDA

View Full Version : Range rover roll over on deep creek?

AB
12th December 2014, 09:05 PM
Not sure if anyone showed this video on here that was uploaded on YouTube a couple of weeks ago?

Hectic rollover on one of the deep creek tracks I think?

http://youtu.be/0F03pHjThfM

Hodge
12th December 2014, 09:11 PM
My mate told me about this, wasn't sure if it was shared or on youtube. Word of mouth it was deep creek 4.

TPC
12th December 2014, 09:12 PM
That was a scary roll over, lucky they were ok.

He should have winched instead of trying to reverse on that angle.

lucus30
12th December 2014, 09:15 PM
Ouch that was nasty. Least both the guys were alright afterward and also lucky the passenger got his arm back in the window beforehand

macca
12th December 2014, 09:35 PM
How's the dude more concerned about his camera than the blokes in the accident. Wouldn't call him a mate! How do you know they're OK?

lucus30
12th December 2014, 10:00 PM
How's the dude more concerned about his camera than the blokes in the accident. Wouldn't call him a mate! How do you know they're OK?

It says in the comments on the video from the passenger

04OFF
12th December 2014, 10:24 PM
That was a scary roll over, lucky they were ok.

He should have winched instead of trying to reverse on that angle.

I honestly don't think he tried to reverse, he obviously stalled it as we know, and being a manual, attempting to re start the engine, had a slight relax on the brake pedal, a few inches roll back, simply threw the car off balance into a potential roll, the "only" chance he had to save it is to do what he did, and reverse (well roll backwards), unfortunately he didn't win this one, the only thing he did wrong was not stay hard on the brake until it started, but in that situation, he would not have known just how critical NOT rolling back even a few inches would become.

Easy could have killed someone, but they obviously had seatbelts on, and were not being stupid, just one of those things, at least its on video , a small consolation to the cost and work ahead to get back out on the tracks again, now he has a excuse to buy a auto GU and kiss such stalling problems behind :wink:

Ronin
12th December 2014, 10:37 PM
scary roll over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mcT2mnlBPQ

MEGOMONSTER
12th December 2014, 11:33 PM
And you show this days before an adventure outing.
Can't afford for that to happen to me.
Such a scary thought being the driver.

TPC
12th December 2014, 11:46 PM
I honestly don't think he tried to reverse, he obviously stalled it as we know, and being a manual, attempting to re start the engine, had a slight relax on the brake pedal, a few inches roll back, simply threw the car off balance into a potential roll, the "only" chance he had to save it is to do what he did, and reverse (well roll backwards), unfortunately he didn't win this one, the only thing he did wrong was not stay hard on the brake until it started, but in that situation, he would not have known just how critical NOT rolling back even a few inches would become.

Easy could have killed someone, but they obviously had seatbelts on, and were not being stupid, just one of those things, at least its on video , a small consolation to the cost and work ahead to get back out on the tracks again, now he has a excuse to buy a auto GU and kiss such stalling problems behind :wink:

My last two 4WD's have been auto's and I have now got a manual as the auto's scared me too much on steep downhill tracks, never liked riding the brakes.

Clunk
13th December 2014, 12:04 AM
My last two 4WD's have been auto's and I have now got a manual as the auto's scared me too much on steep downhill tracks, never liked riding the brakes.

Having both auto and a manual, I prefer the auto for uphill control and the manual for downhill lol. Ideally I'd like an auto with reduction gears.

TPC
13th December 2014, 12:11 AM
Having both auto and a manual, I prefer the auto for uphill control and the manual for downhill lol. Ideally I'd like an auto with reduction gears.
If I had kept my auto I probably would have got a torque converter lock.

04OFF
13th December 2014, 12:17 AM

Yeh, look without getting into the whole auto/manual debate, a auto should not see you in a reversing stalled situation as shown, id rather face a uncontrolled decent "forwards" is what im trying to say.

Using the handbrake is a great way to add some control to a auto patrol when decending the steep stuff, does not compare to a manual, but the benefits of a auto far outway the downfalls IMO.

The truth is im not smart enough to use "three" pedals (lol)

the evil twin
13th December 2014, 12:22 AM
Jeez, they were lucky...

Everyone who owns a manual 4X4 should learn the correct procedure for a stall recovery.

I am always gob smacked by the number of participants I get on 4X4 courses who have been "driving for years, know it all, just need the certificate, etc" and almost invariably haven't got a clue.

I have a few clips which I show so people can see what happens when you #$&% it up and I have added that one in there.

Once the 'point it and power it' option has failed then that is when the real 4x4 skills are required.

Clunk
13th December 2014, 12:30 AM
Using the handbrake is a great way to add some control to a auto patrol when decending the steep stuff

Yep, that's what I do ;)

Stropp
13th December 2014, 12:42 AM
Far they were bloody lucky?

Avo
13th December 2014, 02:48 AM
santa would have been all over

threedogs
13th December 2014, 08:32 AM
Very lucky , a few what ifs. My choice would my auto GU for up hill,
and any Toyota manual for down hill . They have they best low low going
its so slow you sometimes need to use the throttle to speed up the decent

Clunk
13th December 2014, 10:37 AM

Someone put a muzzle/gag on TD....... You may as well sell your GUrly and just go and buy a Yota, your slowly turning your GUrly into one any way...... Hahahahaha

04OFF
13th December 2014, 11:44 AM
I think most late model fourbys now all come with down hill decent control and hill start asssist, so this may just reduce the argument for buying a manual in the future.

At some stage I doubt you will be able to buy a brand new 4x4 "without" independent suspension, I think all the electronic systems will change the way people 4wdrive, and things like lockers, solid diffs and manual gearboxes may just become a thing of the past ?

I guess only time will tell.

4bye4
13th December 2014, 12:08 PM

And a Jeep for standing still in carparks? lol.

the evil twin
13th December 2014, 02:59 PM

I suggest never riding the brakes, use the hand brake or tap the brakes for short duration.
If it is a really gnarly descent put the tranny in reverse, gives you more engine braking than a manual.

You already have to a point in the way the TC reacts, can be hard to master unless you have a front locker then it opens up a whole new method of attacking crawls

If I had kept my auto I probably would have got a torque converter lock.

Absolutely agree and a lot of manuf are heading that way in their hill descent profiles.
Best mod you can do to a Patrol Auto and costs bugger all really.

Drewboyaus
13th December 2014, 06:19 PM
That is Deep Ck No4 near Walhalla and I believe since this rollover that section of track has been bulldozed closed, leaving only the chicken track. I have done that hill a couple of times and it is a seriously steep, long, loose and rocky climb. In some parts the gradient feels like you're trying to drive straight up a wall. If you have lockers it's more an exercise in holding your nerve but without, it is a very hard drive to go with the fear factor because it is so loose (those who drove Reds West at a recent meetup will know the type of surface I'm talking about).
You need to get over that ledge he gets stuck on and all is good....if you don't its a very long, scary reverse back for another go or the better course of action is to winch over that ledge and continue to drive it.
He's a bit unlucky but he was off the ideal line for going over that ledge which is a little closer to the left of screen and would have stopped him dropping into the big rut that runs up the LHS of the climb.
Personally once he fell back into the rut, I would have winched or at least secured the car but sh!t happens when you're on an angle like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

04OFF
13th December 2014, 06:38 PM
Unless accidents have happened there on a regular basis, its annoying that they flatten the track, treating everyone like little children, glad they didn't take that course of action at the Glasshouse mountains when that young fella crashed his Colorado, for once common sense prevailed, with the powers that be, realising accidents just happen, even on the safest roads.

Winnie
13th December 2014, 06:48 PM
That is not the reason they have closed the track, it is only temporary and there's more to it than this accident.

Hodge
13th December 2014, 07:01 PM
I knew #4 was closed off ages ago. For some reason I thought this video was recent, hence the upload last week, and maybe it was re-opened again ?

Drewboyaus
13th December 2014, 07:06 PM
That is not the reason they have closed the track, it is only temporary and there's more to it than this accident.

Do tell mate....what's the go with the closure? I had assumed safety was the reason.

liftlid
13th December 2014, 07:08 PM
Didn't look that serious of a hill really

Hodge
13th December 2014, 07:20 PM
Didn't look that serious of a hill really

It is ridiculously steep mate. I've seen a video of my mates patrol doing the #4 where the video DOES do it some justice and it is just straight up.

Winnie
13th December 2014, 07:25 PM
It is ridiculously steep mate. I've seen a video of my mates patrol doing the #4 where the video DOES do it some justice and it is just straight up.

I'm sure even that video did not do it justice. It is a steep hill

Drewboyaus
13th December 2014, 07:26 PM
It's almost too steep to walk without falling over.

Ben-e-boy
13th December 2014, 07:36 PM
I'm sure even that video did not do it justice. It is a steep hill

I think the video does do it justice, The rangey rolls at least half a dozen times even picking up speed. Without the rollover, yeah, hard to tell.

He just needed to back off the throttle a bit and keep the front wheels on the ground

Winnie
13th December 2014, 07:41 PM
I think the video does do it justice, The rangey rolls at least half a dozen times even picking up speed. Without the rollover, yeah, hard to tell.

He just needed to back off the throttle a bit and keep the front wheels on the ground

Fair point I suppose... Haha

growler2058
13th December 2014, 07:44 PM

Spill ya guts poo

Winnie
13th December 2014, 11:03 PM
It's temporarily closed for safety reasons,until they can get a bit of funding.

04OFF
14th December 2014, 11:17 AM
It's temporarily closed for safety reasons,until they can get a bit of funding.

So are you saying when they get some money they will make it safe and re open it ?

BillsGU
14th December 2014, 12:27 PM
How many here can honestly say they have been taught how to do a reverse stall recovery? And I'm talking by a recognised instructor - not by a mate who was shown by a mate who was shown by .....................?!

Still not a 100 % guarantee I know - but if he had of known how to do it properly - there's a good chance he would not have rolled back and got side on to the hill.

Winnie
14th December 2014, 01:59 PM
So are you saying when they get some money they will make it safe and re open it ?

As I said there is more to it than that. I have been asked by the guy in the know to keep it to myself but the track should be open soon without any serious modifications.

threedogs
14th December 2014, 02:05 PM
How many here can honestly say they have been taught how to do a reverse stall recovery? And I'm talking by a recognised instructor - not by a mate who was shown by a mate who was shown by .....................?!

Still not a 100 % guarantee I know - but if he had of known how to do it properly - there's a good chance he would not have rolled back and got side on to the hill.

Yes I was taught by an accredited 4x4 instructor, it part of your membership to do a 4x4 course.
well thats TLCCV's policy.
Most of my mates I 4x4 with are instructors, hard to pick up bad habits

Where he ended up the angle was all wrong, think it was doomed from the beginning,
another line a few more PSI out of the tyres who knows he may have made it.
but thats hindsight and most have that in spades lol

Drewboyaus
14th December 2014, 02:52 PM
I was taught when I was a member of the RRCV (Rangie Club). Last time I did the course was about 4 or 5 years ago so maybe it's time for a refresher.....

BillsGU
14th December 2014, 09:46 PM
I was taught when I was a member of the RRCV (Rangie Club). Last time I did the course was about 4 or 5 years ago so maybe it's time for a refresher.....

Too true - although all you need to do is practice the procedure reasonably often. I have an auto now but when I had the manual I would sometimes reverse key start out of my driveway - just to keep my hand in. The problem is that when you need these skills its usually in a panic situation and the actions should be automatic. That can only happen with practice. It may have helped him - but each case is different - so who really knows.

MEGOMONSTER
14th December 2014, 11:14 PM
Had a fair bit if talk about this roll over today, with getting everyone turned around in the big hill climb, would gave been a few scary moments for a few people. Sphincter tensing moments.

Hodge
15th December 2014, 09:26 AM
Had a fair bit if talk about this roll over today, with getting everyone turned around in the big hill climb, would gave been a few scary moments for a few people. Sphincter tensing moments.

Rocky track yesterday, Mudski and Andre reverse-turning-around was not a very good feeling, and I wasn't even on the car. This is why I decided in the end to NOT try this, grow some knackers and soldier on upwards, which turned out not as bad after all. lol

threedogs
15th December 2014, 09:30 AM
that Rocky track was that the one that finishes at the top of Mt Hickey Telecom towers??

Drewboyaus
15th December 2014, 09:31 AM
Rocky track yesterday, Mudski and Andre reverse-turning-around was not a very good feeling, and I wasn't even on the car. This is why I decided in the end to NOT try this, grow some knackers and soldier on upwards, which turned out not as bad after all. lol

That's the ticket Hodgy.
Only in the most dire circumstances should you be turning on a hillclimb. Straight up or straight back is the way to go......Rocky Tk isn't difficult....it's rough but that's about it.....

Hodge
15th December 2014, 09:44 AM
That's the ticket Hodgy.
Only in the most dire circumstances should you be turning on a hillclimb. Straight up or straight back is the way to go......Rocky Tk isn't difficult....it's rough but that's about it.....

I was almost gonna turn around my self, as we were ummming and arrringg about it since we had a few vehicles to push through. Mego,fletch and Sean already made it up there, and in the end mego and fletch talked me into it and it turned out ok. Driving down it wasn't overly pleasant either. It's the first time EVER i've had the car slide forward with the brake, hand brake AND 1st gear crawling engaged. It turned out ok though.

Drewboyaus
15th December 2014, 09:55 AM
You sure it was Rocky Tk? Rocky Tk isn't that steep, Steep Tk maybe?

Hodge
15th December 2014, 10:12 AM
I thought someone called it rocky tk. Its actually top part of Jenkin tk according to my hema explorer . This is my crumb trail from that area. Top marker is where we turned around on top.

Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner

threedogs
15th December 2014, 10:15 AM
Steep track is off reservoir track with the bog holes at the start.
You go down Army track off the main mountain rd

threedogs
15th December 2014, 10:16 AM
That's the ticket Hodgy.

Its a good track to learn throttle control on

Drewboyaus
15th December 2014, 10:57 AM
So I think you guys might have gone up Jonathan's "Hill of Death" LOL. Its not marked on my map but I've dropped a blue pin where it you guys were, so it looks like an unmarked short cut through to Rocky Tk.

threedogs
15th December 2014, 11:06 AM
My bad too my reference to Rocky trk should have been Flat rock track

Hodge
15th December 2014, 11:06 AM
That's the one Drewey! Someone mentioned that it was attempted before ( could have been Kev ? ) , but yeah few of us went up and down.

Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner

Drewboyaus
15th December 2014, 11:19 AM
That's the one Drewey! Someone mentioned that it was attempted before ( could have been Kev ? ) , but yeah few of us went up and down. Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner

Should never have attempted to turn around on that. You made a good choice to go up. The others should have reversed down...much safer.

Drewboyaus
15th December 2014, 12:32 PM
sorry for the thread hijack too...

Hodge
15th December 2014, 01:19 PM
Should never have attempted to turn around on that. You made a good choice to go up. The others should have reversed down...much safer.

Lesson learnt mate. I have never been in that scenario before. Track ahead looked very sinister, and shale rock, once disturbed provided very little traction. Sean winched a fair way up and after that is when we began making decisions which included 2 cars reversing a bit and turning around which was unpleasant, and a 3rd car reverse a bit further to a flatter spot and all was good. Knowing what we know now, next time onwards and upwards.

And yeah apologies about hijack.