PDA

View Full Version : Aldi 10" pad

threedogs
1st December 2014, 02:59 PM
Hello can some one tell me if this 10" pad is any good, thinking of using it to load maps onto,
Dont need the other stuff
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/wednesday-3-december-2014/wednesday-detail-wk49/ps/p/101-dual-core-tablet-16gb/

Clunk
1st December 2014, 03:11 PM
If it's not got an expandable memory slot, don't bother, 16gb won't last long. Also make sure it's definitely got gps, not all of the cheaper brands do.

Throbbinhood
1st December 2014, 03:20 PM
It has expandable memory, but not sure on the GPS.

threedogs
1st December 2014, 03:23 PM
I have GPS on a SD card can I put that into the pad?, Ive no idea if its possible at all
@ Clunk thats internal memory/storage cant I put a card in for extra memory/storage
Its only $100

rusty_nail
1st December 2014, 03:28 PM
TD, definately NOT worth the money mate. its only a dual core tablet which means it will run like a busted asshole especially considering it is running android kitkat, which is the second most newest OS, Kitkat need a quadcore processor to run well. there is no mention of RAM there, but i would say its not much. it would run OK so long as you didnt put any apps on it and then once you got a few on the device it would just be unusable. dont waste your money mate, much better products out there for only a little bit more money

threedogs
1st December 2014, 03:34 PM
thanks RN seem Im a bigger Luddite than I thought lol

Maxhead
1st December 2014, 04:27 PM
You need to spend a bit more than that John you tight arse...LOL. Throw away all your plug in crap and look for one with an inbuid GPS and what Rusty said:)

threedogs
1st December 2014, 04:29 PM
will do thanks all

coop
10th January 2015, 02:27 PM
I've got a Samsung Galaxy tab 3, it's got all the good stuff ie: expandable memory, GPS and it's even a giant sized phone as it takes a Sim card oh its an 8in screen. Definitely worth the $400 I paid for it.

mudski
11th January 2015, 12:30 AM
You need to spend a bit more than that John you tight arse...LOL. Throw away all your plug in crap and look for one with an inbuid GPS and what Rusty said:)

Yeah this is one thing you don't want to skimp on I reckon. My mate bought a cheap 10 inch tablet for his daughter. I warned him not too and to buy a second hand decent tablet if he didn't want to spend the coin. He paid the price.... it's that slow and useless his daughter refuses to use it and just uses his mobile phone instead. Picture quality was back from the 80 ' s too. 600 x 480 VGA had better colour reproduction than this thing.

Clunk
11th January 2015, 01:21 AM
I've got a Samsung Galaxy tab 3, it's got all the good stuff ie: expandable memory, GPS and it's even a giant sized phone as it takes a Sim card oh its an 8in screen. Definitely worth the $400 I paid for it.

G'day coop, it will have 3g sim card for mobile data only, not for calls..... Pretty sure I'm correct but very happy to be proven wrong

coop
11th January 2015, 08:23 AM
No, I've tried my phone Sim in it and it will make and receive calls just like a phone; i was quite surprised, it's handy if ever my phone poops itself, telstra tell me that it's 1 of the only one available that does. Hope this helps

dannypatrol
11th January 2015, 09:50 AM
I can definitely recommend an android samsung tablet, I have a note 10.1 (I love the little pen for drawings etc) and it runs the Hema explorer map. Since Nokia made their navigation map free, you now basically have tomtom style navigation as well with traffic updates if connected to the internet. If you have one of the modern Patrols with OBD2, you can even connect that up and see important values through some specific apps such a torque. (sadly this isnt able with the GU97 because it uses the old style nissan consult).

Having said that, windows 8.1 tablets are nowadays only 100 bucks in the US. So if you like to run windows rather than android then you can pick up a modern tablet for not much. Just keep in mind that a lot of windows tablet will not have a built in GPS.

Avo
12th January 2015, 03:42 PM
Yeah this is one thing you don't want to skimp on I reckon. My mate bought a cheap 10 inch tablet for his daughter. I warned him not too and to buy a second hand decent tablet if he didn't want to spend the coin. He paid the price.... it's that slow and useless his daughter refuses to use it and just uses his mobile phone instead. Picture quality was back from the 80 ' s too. 600 x 480 VGA had better colour reproduction than this thing.

I did much the same thing,got one for a $1 when we bought the misses her laptop,thought it would be good for miss 13...absolutely useless even for a dollar..bugger all memory...

threedogs
12th January 2015, 03:54 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-1-Quad-Core-Dual-Camera-1G-16GB-Android-4-4-KitKat-HD-HDMI-Tablet-MID-PC-/311219383410?pt=US_Tablets&var=&hash=item48761eec72

Only need for GPS so any good

Clunk
12th January 2015, 04:25 PM
No, I've tried my phone Sim in it and it will make and receive calls just like a phone; i was quite surprised, it's handy if ever my phone poops itself, telstra tell me that it's 1 of the only one available that does. Hope this helps

Thanks mate, very good to know........ :D

Clunk
12th January 2015, 04:49 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-1-Quad-Core-Dual-Camera-1G-16GB-Android-4-4-KitKat-HD-HDMI-Tablet-MID-PC-/311219383410?pt=US_Tablets&var=&hash=item48761eec72

Trouble with alot of cheap tablets is they won't allow you to store apps on the external micro sd card. With only 8gb of on board memory it will fill up fast.

The rest of the specs look ok, nothing special but it's only a cheap Chinese jobbie. In regards to purchasing it, that's you're choice but I wouldn't as there's no telling what it's actually like.

coop
12th January 2015, 08:43 PM
My Samsung is 16 gb and it let's me save my app,s to the memory card which is good if the tablet ever shits itself.

dannypatrol
13th January 2015, 07:02 AM
My Samsung is 16 gb and it let's me save my app,s to the memory card which is good if the tablet ever shits itself.

Check also if you have automatic restore on in the settings. That way if your tablet get lost or broken and have to be replaced, the apps will download automatically to your new tablet.

dannypatrol
13th January 2015, 07:05 AM

Honestly mate, i would spend 200 or so for an older but known brand tablet. Like has been said, the cheaper chinese clones have play store and other problems. Buy an old samsung or asus. The asus TC100 is 199 at officeworks atm, the tab is around 250. Yes it is twice as much as the cheapo but it last longer and will be more userfriendly. I love gadgets and played around with a lot of chinese stuff, sometimes it is great value for money but expect to spend many hours to keep it running well

coop
13th January 2015, 07:55 AM
Honestly mate, i would spend 200 or so for an older but known brand tablet. Like has been said, the cheaper chinese clones have play store and other problems. Buy an old samsung or asus. The asus TC100 is 199 at officeworks atm, the tab is around 250. Yes it is twice as much as the cheapo but it last longer and will be more userfriendly. I love gadgets and played around with a lot of chinese stuff, sometimes it is great value for money but expect to spend many hours to keep it running well

Yeah i agree, what's the old saying that you get what you pay for, i know I'd rather have longevity and quality over a quick 5 minute thrill that I have to throw away. So good luck with your final decision.

coop
13th January 2015, 08:02 AM
Check also if you have automatic restore on in the settings. That way if your tablet get lost or broken and have to be replaced, the apps will download automatically to your new tablet.

As all of my apps are saved to my memory card transferring stuff is not a problem unless I loose the device , I've also got all the apps and important data saved on my phone as well.