PDA

View Full Version : Installing Side Steps on a 1997 GQ

rkinsey
5th March 2011, 05:48 AM
If someone out there has any side steps installed on their 1997 GQ wagon, would you be able to post some pics showing the mounting brackets please?

I know they have to be bolted to the body of the vehicle (Main bracket to the floor pan) but im not sure about the second bracket closest to the step itself. It looks as though I have to drill into the body under the sill.

Secondly, which nut and bolt combo is best to use? 3/4" stainless? Do I neet grommets to seal the mounting boplt holes as well or will washers be sufficient?

If I can work it out I will do a "How to video" and post it here.

Cheers,

Rob

NissanGQ4.2
5th March 2011, 10:25 AM
Hi mate, not sure on a 97 GQ, but i can post up some pics of mine which are original sidesteps of a 92 GQ if you like

Cheers

Todd

rkinsey
5th March 2011, 02:40 PM
Hi mate, not sure on a 97 GQ, but i can post up some pics of mine which are original sidesteps of a 92 GQ if you like

Cheers

Todd

That would be great Todd Cheers.

If I can see somthing similar I can work it out from there.

Thanks,

Rob

NissanGQ4.2
5th March 2011, 03:10 PM
Hope this helps you Rob, you should not need to drill anything if they are original brackets for that year model. I would not worry about using ss bolts, just high tensile standard bolts.

Cheers

Todd

1st bracket ( front of side step )

2nd Bracket

3rd Bracket

View of 1st and 2nd Bracket

All 3

rkinsey
5th March 2011, 05:24 PM
Thats perfect. Exactly what I was looking for!!

Cheers Todd, absolutely fantastic mate.

NissanGQ4.2
5th March 2011, 05:42 PM
Thats perfect. Exactly what I was looking for!!

Cheers Todd, absolutely fantastic mate.

No worries mate, don't think i am that far away from you so if u want 2 have a look at a sh!t GQ for any reason it's always here in the Blue Mountains.

Finly Owner
5th March 2011, 10:56 PM
news flash, not sure of spacing, but looks like this is one thing nissan kept standard on all models MQ on.

Tim

rkinsey
6th March 2011, 12:26 AM
No worries mate, don't think i am that far away from you so if u want 2 have a look at a sh!t GQ for any reason it's always here in the Blue Mountains.

Todd, Thanks for the offer and there is no such thing as a Sh!t GQ....!!!!!

rkinsey
6th March 2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks to Bigrig for my new side steps! Cheers mate they have come up a treat. Also thanks to toddrhind for showing me how they bolt onto my 1997 GQ wagon.

I have taken photos of the whole process and am in the middle of creating a "How to" instruction sheet so others that might have the same questions as I did can see what they will need to do.

Here are some before and after pics though.

Bob
6th March 2011, 02:09 PM
looks good congrats. Love the White Patrols

NissanGQ4.2
6th March 2011, 02:13 PM
good 2 see it all worked out mate :)

rkinsey
6th March 2011, 07:26 PM
good 2 see it all worked out mate :)

Thanks Todd. Once I saw how it al fitted together, installing them was easy.

Cheers,

Rob

Finly Owner
6th March 2011, 10:39 PM
Good addittion rinksey

Clunk
7th March 2011, 12:45 AM
nice one mate, looks good

Bigrig
8th March 2011, 12:42 PM
Top stuff mate - glad they worked out for you!!

BigM051
14th November 2013, 06:44 PM
Hi guys,

Just picked up a set of these myself and will be chucking them on soon. rkinsey, you didn't end up doing that 'how to' sheet in the end did you? doesn't look overly difficult though I suppose. The ones I bought didn't have bolts, what size were they?

Cheers

Mick

BigRAWesty
14th November 2013, 07:51 PM
The factory setups came with brackets and studs for the floor pan. If you don't have these I'm pretty sure they were a m10 bolt roughly 30mm long. Just grab some mudgaurd or wide washers to spread the load.
And the clamp one's which attach to the kick seal were smaller but I've got rid of the steps so can tell you them..

Have you had a look under as the previous owner may have left the brackets there..