PDA

View Full Version : Budget Performance

rawsteel
4th March 2011, 11:12 PM
Hi All, :gday:

I was wondering, what is the best parts to replace to increase overall performance?

I already changed my stock air filter to a K&N performance 3", what else are there?

YNOT
4th March 2011, 11:15 PM
What engine do you have?

Tony

the evil twin
4th March 2011, 11:29 PM
ROFL... X2... my crystal ball is half pissed as well, same as the operator

rawsteel
4th March 2011, 11:44 PM
A TB48 with Auto Transmission.

YNOT
4th March 2011, 11:49 PM
A full extractor exhaust system will open it up a bit.
After that it comes down to how much do you want to spend? Turbos and stroker kits are available but they're not cheap.

I need to do more research but I did read about a cheap mod that disables the dual band inlet manifold for better bottom end response.

Tony

the evil twin
4th March 2011, 11:53 PM
You want more out of a 4.8 ?... Greedy bugger... :p

X 2 on the Zorst work.

Shift kit and/or that line pressure resistor mod they talk about will perk the Auto up a bit as well I think

rawsteel
5th March 2011, 09:05 AM
YNOT: Sorry for the noobish question, what's an extractor exhaust? :p and still, not ready to go for the Turbo's or Stroker kits... ^^

the evil twin: Again, I apologize for the noobish question too, but what's " X 2 on the Zorst " ?, and I did find a Shift Kit in a local transmission shop, but dont know how it works 100%,

and which mod are they talking about? ;p

YNOT
5th March 2011, 09:16 AM
Extractors (also known as headers) replace the exhaust manifold and improve engine performance by removing exhaust gases more efficiently, they let the engine breath better. The rest of the exhaust (the mufflers and pipe) need to be upgraded for the same reason.

Zorst = exhaust.

Transmission shift kits make the gear shifts faster and firmer.

The line pressure dropping resistor mod that we do to 4 speed auto Patrols and has a similar effect to a shift kit. I'm not sure if the mod is relevant to your 5 speed auto.

Tony

rawsteel
5th March 2011, 10:52 AM
Ahhaa, didn't know those terms are being used. :)

Yaa, my friends did recommend me all of these options ( besides the Shift Kit's ), but I was wondering if there were something else.

Also besides ECM programming.

YNOT
5th March 2011, 06:08 PM
ECU programming or power chips are another option that will give you a modest power gain, team a power chip with a good exhaust system for an even better result.

Tony

rawsteel
5th March 2011, 10:46 PM
So there's the exhaust system, air filter, ECU, and.....?

YNOT
5th March 2011, 10:49 PM
So there's the exhaust system, air filter, ECU, and.....?

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Tony

aiKzo6
6th March 2011, 12:10 AM
Being a tb48 you've already got a fair bit of grunt under the right foot. You may find that rather than spending all of your money at once, you can make enough of a gain to keep you satisfied just by starting from the basics and working your way up from there. As already mentioned, extractors and a nice free-flowing exhaust, paired with a high-flow filter and some cold induction (ie. snorkel) can make a significant improvement.
From there, if you decide to chase even more power, you can head towards a chip and tune, which will get you even more power and often better economy.
If you are chasing even more power after this you may consider a forced induction setup (blower/turbo), or have the motor rebuilt with a more aggressive cam profile, or even an engine transplant (depending on how much more power youre chasing).
As Tony has put it, you can make as much power out of your patrol as you want, as long as you can afford it.

cheers

Ben-e-boy
6th March 2011, 07:19 PM
Hi All, :gday:

I was wondering, what is the best parts to replace to increase overall performance?

I already changed my stock air filter to a K&N performance 3", what else are there?

overall performance................. get a maual gearbox. x3 on the zorst and a tune!!

rawsteel
7th March 2011, 10:50 AM
Thx every one, :3

Gotta start planning for that upgrade, an extra 50 whp should do. :D

Ben-e-boy
7th March 2011, 06:58 PM
Thx every one, :3

Gotta start planning for that upgrade, an extra 50 whp should do. :D

How much hp does a tb48 have standard???

cheers

YNOT
7th March 2011, 08:06 PM
How much hp does a tb48 have standard???

cheers

180kw, not sure how many HP that is?

Tony

aiKzo6
7th March 2011, 08:25 PM
its about 240hp...take approx 20% for driveline loss and youre looking at approx 192hp atw??

rawsteel
9th March 2011, 02:50 AM
its about 240hp...take approx 20% for driveline loss and youre looking at approx 192hp atw??

Actually, I've seen some dyno results here.

and they are around 240 Whp, ya I knw... Strange, isn't it?

damianovdd
9th March 2011, 04:13 AM
Here a calculator (http://www.convertunits.com/from/kW/to/hp) Kw to hp.

WOW 240 hp and you want more!?

what to say about mine with 129 hp - a scooter??

aiKzo6
13th March 2011, 02:08 AM
Actually, I've seen some dyno results here.

and they are around 240 Whp, ya I knw... Strange, isn't it?

Yeah that is a bit strange! I guess the right combination of gearing, or even running the incorrect gear for the dyno run, will give minimal driveline loss. cant say i havent heard of stranger things happening though :p