PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 CR Rebuild or Conversion?

Scottch
23rd November 2014, 07:03 AM
just run into trouble with my 2008 ZD30 Common Rail, such that it needs to come out to be fixed.
is it worth swapping it for a TD42 Turbo?
what is the deal about emissions?
does any one know what its worth either way (rebuilt ZD30 CR, TD42 Turbo, or new crate ZD30 CR)
have spotted a ZD30 CR with 5 speed box attached in WA for $5000 on E bay 30,000Km on the clock maybe this is the way to go? not sure if its got warranty though??
my ZD30 has been flogged but was still running ok, just snapped off half of the exhaust manifold studs in the head.

BTW I was using around 20L /100km with about 50/50 split Hwy/Town so there is obviously something else wrong, hence my decision to remove it.

megatexture
23rd November 2014, 07:32 AM
Fix the exhaust and sell it as is, and get newer one ? Were you upgrading the exhaust or the stock was buster?

Scottch
23rd November 2014, 08:52 AM
four of the original studs snapped off and left threads behind, which resulted in manifold leaking, which I thought would be easy to fix till I found 4 snapped, not just loose, like I had hoped .

the evil twin
23rd November 2014, 01:31 PM
You won't be able to fit a stock TD42 to an 08' Series patrol and get a legal mod plate

If it has been flogged enough to have broken 4 exhaust studs and be using 20 LPH I would be fitting another engine if I was keeping it or maybe a reco head if I was selling it.

Scottch
23rd November 2014, 03:13 PM
is it difficult to remove the engine and transmission in one piece?
is it a done thing?

Hodge
23rd November 2014, 04:57 PM
You won't be able to fit a TD42 to an 08' Series patrol and get a legal mod plate

If it has been flogged enough to have broken 4 exhaust studs and be using 20 LPH I would be fitting another engine if I was keeping it or maybe a reco head if I was selling it.

I have heard 50/50 on this. I don't know if it differs from state to state. But when I was doing some homework on doing a 4.2 conversion, I was told a definite no. So that ended that. I'm stuck with the grenade.
But then I've been told that some of our local 4x4 workshops like Readies and 4x4 obsession, do the conversion and engineer everything. I haven't talk to them about it, so don't know how much truth there is to that.

To the OP. A straight swap like for like, will always be cheaper than doing a conversion to something else.

Scottch
23rd November 2014, 06:06 PM
You won't be able to fit a stock TD42 to an 08' Series patrol and get a legal mod plate

I noticed you changed it to say "stock", so you mean a TD42 could be tricked up to spec for emissions???

Dave_H
23rd November 2014, 08:20 PM
I have also read somewhere that someone was doing the td42 conversion(all engineered) for crd models but can't find where i read it.

the evil twin
23rd November 2014, 08:21 PM
The simple answer is you can fit anything to anything... if you have the money and someone to sign off on it.

To fit a TD42 to a late series GU, where the TD42 was not a factory option, you need the modifcation to comply with ADR's etc but the big stumbling block is emissions regs.
The TD42 was discontinued for several reasons but emission compliance issues was one of them.
To pass the emissions regs you need the vehicle modified before it can be tested and signed off.
If you can't get the signoff then you are out big bucks.

I don't know of anyone doing CRD to TD42T mods and I haven't ever seen one for sale or the service advertsied but Hodge may well be correct and someone may be doing them.

kevin07
24th November 2014, 07:11 AM
quite simply no to the 4.2 motor

rkinsey
24th November 2014, 08:17 AM
is it difficult to remove the engine and transmission in one piece?
is it a done thing?

Hey Scotch,

The engine and trans together is able to come out in one piece. However, together they are very heavy and long. ( I would estimate my RD28T and trans would come in around the 600 - 700 Kg mark)

I took out an RD28T with the transmission and transfer case connected and took me about 5 hours by myself (so get some mates to help you)

Swapping the engine with another ZD30 would be the simplest method as you dont need any engineering certs to get it registered. Just a Blue Slip to change the engine numbers on the rego.

If you are going to do the engine swap yourself, I would advise taking your time and 1000's of pictures of all connections. I would also label each connection to the engine from the wiring harness to the fuel and vacuum lines.

If you can, get an engine and transmission together. I am having issues with my clutch and after installing the engine and getting it running I now have to drop the gearbox to fix the clutch.

Cheers,

Rob

Extrimal D
5th December 2014, 09:15 PM
Please help.
On Patrol "dies" second engine ZD30DDTi. The first native passed - 200000 km Second set from Nissan Elgrand passed 80000 miles. Now introducing from Nissan Caravan system common rail. The question arose for the replacement of the wiring of the engine, the desired number on the underhood wiring the controller number is 23710VZ25D. Engine number 10100VZ20C.

Extrimal D
8th December 2014, 07:03 PM
No one will help ?
Need VIN on car NISSAN PATROL ZD30 CRD? If you need to order the scythe(wiring) on the engine.

Scottch
8th December 2014, 07:47 PM
No one will help ?
Need VIN on car NISSAN PATROL ZD30 CRD? If you need to order the scythe(wiring) on the engine.

not sure what ur triyng to do?
my VIN on C/CH 08 CRD Patrol is JN1UELY61A0500968 if that helps???

Extrimal D
8th December 2014, 09:20 PM
Thank you very much. Right now I'm going to check through EXZIST. If all is well will order new wiring.

mudski
8th December 2014, 10:35 PM
The simple answer is you can fit anything to anything... if you have the money and someone to sign off on it.

To fit a TD42 to a late series GU, where the TD42 was not a factory option, you need the modifcation to comply with ADR's etc but the big stumbling block is emissions regs.
The TD42 was discontinued for several reasons but emission compliance issues was one of them.
To pass the emissions regs you need the vehicle modified before it can be tested and signed off.
If you can't get the signoff then you are out big bucks.

I don't know of anyone doing CRD to TD42T mods and I haven't ever seen one for sale or the service advertsied but Hodge may well be correct and someone may be doing them.

ET. The TD42Ti has all the emission controls on that motor. The earlier TD42T's don't. But still not sure if it would make compliance or not for the OPs year model Patrol. It would certainly be something worth the OP checking out if he's serious. As you wouldn't NOT want to put the TD42Ti in only because you were told you can't, then find out you actually can... Not saying the he can or can't. Lol. Just saying check it out and get a definitive answer.

Extrimal D
11th December 2014, 12:41 AM
While the CRD is not common rail?

Extrimal D
11th December 2014, 01:19 AM
Guys and pin scheme of this kind of engine control unit no who?:

Hodge
11th December 2014, 06:01 AM
While the CRD is not common rail?

CRD is common rail. "Common Rail Diesel".

Scorpiovee
27th January 2015, 09:59 PM
Getting the 4.2 modded to pass emissions is possible but very very expensive. For similar money, you'd be better off going for the Chev 6.5lt diesel.
Still not cheap though.