PDA

View Full Version : Fuses between Aux battery and power panel?

bishbashbosh
19th November 2014, 12:00 PM
When attaching this Baintech Power Panel (http://www.baintech.com.au/power-panels/baintech-new-universal-panel-ciga-engel-usb) to my aux battery (Full River Deep Cycle 105) will i need to protect it with a fuse or does the baintech panel have everything in it thats needed to protect and i'm ok to just plug my electrical items up to it?

This is how it goes - My Aux Battery is in the cargo area with my Ctek

Starter Battery
+
(8AWG Cable + 40AMP Auto Reset CB)
+
Ctek D250S Dual
+
(8AWG Cable + 40AMP Auto Reset CB)
+
Aux Battery
+
(Baintech Cable Provided)
+
Baintech Power Panel

Off this i'll run my 45ltr engel, and small led light in the back as needed for seeing what i'm looking for, and charging up iPhone, speakers, iPod and laptop as needed.

4bye4
19th November 2014, 12:16 PM
The panel has its own fuse, but I would have an inline fuse of some type as close to the battery as possible to protect against the feed wires earthing out or shorting. It needs to be larger than the fuse in the panel, but not larger than the capacity of wire that you are runing from the battery to the panel.
Tony

bishbashbosh
19th November 2014, 01:38 PM
The panel has its own fuse, but I would have an inline fuse of some type as close to the battery as possible to protect against the feed wires earthing out or shorting. It needs to be larger than the fuse in the panel, but not larger than the capacity of wire that you are runing from the battery to the panel.
Tony

Thanks 4bye4!

The inbuilt fuse is rated at 15AMP but the cable they provide does not state 'capacity' so just sent them a message asking.. will report back..

4bye4
19th November 2014, 01:45 PM
Good idea, not much point in a 15 amp fuse if the cable is only 10 amp. Probably a 20 or 25 amp cable if they are running a 15amp fuse. You would then have a say 20 amp fuse for protection in case the cable wears through or gets cut at sometime. Yea I know that will never happen but if there is ever a major incident (crash) you will probably have enough issues to worry about without a battery fire as well.

bishbashbosh
19th November 2014, 04:24 PM
just got a response - "the supplied wire cable is 8 mm in diameter and able to handle 16 amps max."

the evil twin
19th November 2014, 04:49 PM
As 4bye4 said, 20 Amp fuse will be fine mate.

The cable is 8mm automotive cable so 16 amp max is the continuous useage rating.
The surge rating will be a fair bit higher.
You can use 15 amp at the battery if you like but you want the "Baintech" 15 amp fuse to go if there is an equipment fault on the sockets.
If the Battery feed is 15 amp as well then there is no point in having the "Baintech" fuse IE you have the same overload protection in two different places.

bishbashbosh
19th November 2014, 04:59 PM
i won't add an inline fuse then in this part of the system and just keep the baintech fuse in its place.