PDA

View Full Version : High lift or exhaust jack. Pros and cons on both please

jay see
17th November 2014, 01:26 AM
As the title reads.
I'm looking at buying one or the other.
I like the idea of the high lift as its easy to attach to the vehicle, but the exhaust jack seems quicker and the ground doesn't have to be flat, sh!t it can even be in a hole.
What are your thoughts please.

BigRAWesty
17th November 2014, 09:42 AM
It's like oranges and apples mate.
So totally different and out do each other in different ways.
Imo, get both.

threedogs
17th November 2014, 10:10 AM
Blow up are great in sandy conditions
Hi-lifts whilst being dangerous are very versatile
as you can winch with them as well
Not the best on coil front 4x4s but plenty of adaptors available

the evil twin
17th November 2014, 12:01 PM
IMHO Touring or Beach/Sandy/Muddy work an Exhaust Jack is heaps better.
Lighter, easier to stow, and also heaps safer.

Hi Lifts still have their place but are pretty gnarly to use.
You can winch with them but pretty much need chain, anything with stretch or a bridle or whatever and the jack runs out before the tension takes up.
Can be handy to bust a tyre bead but for 99.9% of us that is a rare requirement.
Better than an exhaust jack to break a window if you lock your keys in the car.

BillsGU
17th November 2014, 12:48 PM
What ET said - plus unless you have a bull bar with high lift attachment points, they are difficult to hook on anywhere except the tow hitch receiver.

IMHO they are heavy to carry and dangerous to use. I have yet to see anyone actually use them as a winch - you would need lots and lots of patience!

If you do get a bag - make sure it lifts at least 4 ton and is of the high lift type. Some of the smaller bags are useless as they won't even get a patrol's wheels off the ground.

happygu
17th November 2014, 05:10 PM
Jaysee,

My pick would be the Exhaust Jack ..... I haven't used my High Lift Jack in years .... too heavy and too cumbersome.

In saying that, I haven't used the exhaust jack either, but they can tuck up into a small corner of the truck, and sit there till you need it.

Mic

happygu
17th November 2014, 05:12 PM
What ET said - plus unless you have a bull bar with high lift attachment points, they are difficult to hook on anywhere except the tow hitch receiver.

IMHO they are heavy to carry and dangerous to use. I have yet to see anyone actually use them as a winch - you would need lots and lots of patience!

If you do get a bag - make sure it lifts at least 4 ton and is of the high lift type. Some of the smaller bags are useless as they won't even get a patrol's wheels off the ground.

I tried using my High Lift once as a winch, and by the time everything was tensioned up the car would only move about one inch, and then would roll back after releasing to have another go ...... I went straight out and bought an electric winch straight after I got back....

fourj
17th November 2014, 10:57 PM
When using a highlift as a winch. You need to have a second hook attached to the top of the jack. When the jack is at full extension attach the second hook to the chain, reverse the jack letting second hook take the weight. Once weight is off the ratchet mechanism it can be slide back and reattached, change jack direction and start jacking again. You lose about 6 inches each time you reset it.
Having said all that, I've brought an electric winch also. After spending about 4 1/2 hours winching with a highlift out the back of Wesburn earlier this year. Electric is the way to go. Highlift will still be with me as an option. But bloody hard work.

happygu
17th November 2014, 11:13 PM
When using a highlift as a winch. You need to have a second hook attached to the top of the jack. When the jack is at full extension attach the second hook to the chain, reverse the jack letting second hook take the weight. Once weight is off the ratchet mechanism it can be slide back and reattached, change jack direction and start jacking again. You lose about 6 inches each time you reset it.
Having said all that, I've brought an electric winch also. After spending about 4 1/2 hours winching with a highlift out the back of Wesburn earlier this year. Electric is the way to go. Highlift will still be with me as an option. But bloody hard work.

Ha ... I know that feeling, even though it was long ago .....:smiley_thumbs_up:

cgm
18th November 2014, 12:06 AM
I thought a Highlift was just a decoration for the roof rack for when driving around town? :)

One friend had a near miss and bent the daylights out of everything, well mostly the jack. Fortunately not himself too bad although I think he might have copped a whack. Most of the issue is trying to use them without a secure place to lift from, where it won't slip. Inexperience can get you with many of these things including not taking the winch or snatch strap seriously. I am pretty hesitant about rushing in with a high lift.

I haven't yet used an exhaust jack, but I know a few people on here have given them a good wrap before. It's on the list, but want to get a reasonable quality one. (as usual the list is too big and haven't got it yet)

jay see
18th November 2014, 12:12 AM
Cheers all for the replies.
Think I go the exhaust. Seems to be safer and easier.
Anyone care to recommend a brand.

BillsGU
18th November 2014, 08:28 AM
Most of the better known brands will do the job. They are all about $250 to $300 ish. Make sure it can carry 4 ton or over and that it is high lift. Again, most of them are. Make sure the bottom of the bag has "feet" on it (similar to small studs on footy boots). They help to ensure the bag does not "take off" and slip out. It should also come with a carry bag, a repair kit and a pad to place over it to protect it from sharp bits.

Make sure you practice with it at home. I have seen some exhaust pipes with a bevel at the end that won't let you get a proper seal on an exhaust jack funnel. The fix is simple - just cut a small piece off the end of your exhaust pipe so it is flush.

lucus30
18th November 2014, 11:42 AM
Here mate I noticed this the other day

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/certa-4ton-4wd-exhaust-jack-set/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1qajBRC_6MO49cqDxbYBEiQAiCl5_GF4dRu 18xZPXkTkxFKM-lSJ9KILn3s6T1iYxMXGXVEaAp_j8P8HAQ

Can't comment on quality but its cheap for $85

mudnut
18th November 2014, 11:52 AM
I have a Hi-lift jack that is relegated to post and small stump pulling duty as it has a bow in it. Very dangerous piece of equipment when the vehicle being recovered starts to slide when on the jack.

threedogs
18th November 2014, 04:14 PM
Hi lifts have had their day, they were very popular when 4x4s had steel front and rear bumpers.
Its not to say they wont fit modern 4x4s its just that they are limited to where you can lift.
I used to make extension for the foot so you could pick up the chassis rail, and lift from there
The idea is to lift your 4x4 up and clear of bog then just push it[4x4] off the jack, Very dangerous.
Plus always and I mean always finish with the handle in the up position,
if you dont it will break your jaw or worse, do a recovery course or get expert tuition on how it works
If you really want one I have a brand new one here

jay see
18th November 2014, 09:31 PM
Lucus, I've had a look at those too. Would like to look into same feedback/reviews. Not only for the bags, but all kogans 4x4 gear. I'm all for the cheap, but recovery gear got to be good reliable stuff as well.

TD I think I'm learning towards the bag, but thanks anyway.

DX grunt
18th November 2014, 09:39 PM
I've got the Bushranger X Jack. It was around $300, and from memory, I had to buy the extension bit for the exhaust.

Our power has been out for about 6hrs now, and I can't check my filing cabinet for the receipt.

Rossco

Edit: http://www.bushranger.com.au/xjack.php#.VGso7_mUfLs

lucus30
21st November 2014, 02:30 PM
Lucus, I've had a look at those too. Would like to look into same feedback/reviews. Not only for the bags, but all kogans 4x4 gear. I'm all for the cheap, but recovery gear got to be good reliable stuff as well.

TD I think I'm learning towards the bag, but thanks anyway.

Well I'll let you know because I just bought one

threedogs
23rd November 2014, 08:39 AM
Heres a pic of the foot extension I used to make for hi-lift jacks.
more suited to slab sided 4x4s like a GQ, designed to reach under and grab the chassis rail

Bowyer
26th April 2015, 07:31 PM
Very informative however saying this does anyone know of a shop that will fit one for me in Wollongong, seems relatively straight forward but I will stuff it up.

happygu
26th April 2015, 07:50 PM
Very informative however saying this does anyone know of a shop that will fit one for me in Wollongong, seems relatively straight forward but I will stuff it up.

What one do you mean?

High Lift jack or Exhaust Bag?

Bowyer
26th April 2015, 09:04 PM
Somehow I put a question about a winch in this thread, was wondering where my question went.

mudski
26th April 2015, 09:55 PM
Somehow I put a question about a winch in this thread, was wondering where my question went.

Lol. You're using Motorculture i guess.

liftlid
14th August 2015, 07:05 PM
Go the bag,
High lifts are called a "farm Jack" for a good reason. They should stay on the farm!!!!

Hodge
14th August 2015, 07:11 PM
Go the bag,
High lifts are called a "farm Jack" for a good reason. They should stay on the farm!!!!

I agree. During the whole time i was into 4x4s, I've seen them used twice, and both times things turned pear shaped.

mudski
14th August 2015, 09:20 PM
I Vote for both. The one time i ever needed to use my exhaust bag we used a high lift with it. No way in hell i would get under a car, or guard even with just the bag. But both id trust more.
They both have thier pros and cons, but id only use the old Trawala or the ARB high lift...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

bazzaboy
16th August 2015, 08:03 PM
I think that the high-lift jacks are probably the most dangerous piece of 4wd gear you could use. I use a good quality 15 ton bottle jack, an extension for it, a solid piece of flat wood for a base, and at least one jack stand. A safer method.

Bazza

mudski
16th August 2015, 09:26 PM
Dangerous in the wrong hands bazza. And dangerous if you buy the cheap ones too.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk