PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Camper Trailers (Prospector)

Smoothrun
13th November 2014, 11:11 AM
Hi all,
Ive got an option to purchase the above mentioned Camper 2008 model, and am wondering if anyone has one or can fill me in on their thoughts good and bad. Ive read about some quality issues years ago which was addressed significantly around 2008, in which seem minor to me like water tap,foldup rear hinge,wheel arch sealing etc, im not mojorly concerned because like cars they all have their faults, which are upgradable and doable yourself.

The basic setup is

50mm beam axle,15 inch sunnies, im runnin 17s but should sit ok as seller has 18s
7 leaf spring susp
240v/12v setup with charger,105ah batt new,6mm wiring,solor panel, anderson plug etc
Fully insulated wrapped wiring,brakeline,
Full gal dipped chassis standard
Aussie made canvas and all other stuff standard
Hydraulic disc brakes New, bearings new,

Rated at 1000kg gvm with tare @698, only 2 of us so plenty of weight can be added which i wont need,after adding water,batteries etc etc. I recon me ohc 3.0l should love it.

I know suspension is vital but limited experience wise with the 7 leaf and its capabilities, ive heard good but it comes down to personal choice over shocks,aidbags or independent, Im a cape york style offroader so i understand corries,dips, crossings etc

Ultimately I suppose the suspension is my major feedback request, but feel free to have your say on the pioneer product, Id be interested to hear your thoughts

Cheers

Smooth

MudRunnerTD
13th November 2014, 08:58 PM
I have always believed the Pioneer to be a upper middle or high end range product of top quality.

I have 7 leaf springs on my Tambo and its fine, pretty rugged. No shocks. Sits well.

Assuming the price is right it is probably a great trailer you could uy with confidence. I have no personal experience with Pipneer other than to admire them on occasion.

Smoothrun
14th November 2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks MR, THere going for about 15k to 18k+ and up to 21k for models 2003 up on the caravan website. unsure why butt they seem to hold their value pretty good, I spose being a Hard Floor Aussie made Camper. This one was goin for far less and I offered him 1500 less than advertised in cash which he took, after inspection first though. only spoken to him and he sounds a realy nice bloke, genuine, told me its nigly probs straight away which are nothin and im goin to check it out today. If your interested Ill put up some pics if I grab it.

Dave

threedogs
14th November 2014, 04:10 PM
A trailer will basically rock side to side , but tyre pressures still need to be adhered to.
I take it the leaf springs have greasable shackles,
I wouldnt trust slipper style springs.
A question I'd ask are they holden/ford bearings or something stronger?
IMO still only a tent and a trailer but if your happy with the price as MR
says looks like you'll have plenty of adventures together

Smoothrun
20th November 2014, 01:21 AM
Thanks guys, i got it so been busy checkin all nooks and crannies, price was too cheap to refuse, ended up it was 9 leaf springs. Im half way thru a drawer build also so heaps goin on. Drawer build priority camping later, apart from maiden voyage to high mountains this week. Couldnt help meself. Cheers.

Stropp
20th November 2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys, i got it so been busy checkin all nooks and crannies, price was too cheap to refuse, ended up it was 9 leaf springs. Im half way thru a drawer build also so heaps goin on. Drawer build priority camping later, apart from maiden voyage to high mountains this week. Couldnt help meself. Cheers.

piccies them mate this weekend please