PDA

View Full Version : 2007 ZD3.0 problem

cappytarga
10th November 2014, 10:30 AM
Hi, have a 2007 ZD3.0l turbo common rail suddenly developed a starting problem. Sometimes starts straight away sometimes not , once started runs fine but if turned off will usually not start again. Have replaced fuel filter and checked for leaks (none found). Does anyone have any suggestions, cheers Rob

Jim Kay
20th December 2015, 11:53 PM
G'day Rob,

Had a similar problem with a Ford Ranger 3.0 ltr CR turbo diesel.
Diagnostic scan showed all sorts of problems which would have required replacement of almost all the fuel system including the pump, rail, and injectors. It was going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix.

I did a bit of googling and found a number of references re. a dodgy starter motor causing the same sort of symptoms as fuel problems on starting. Decided to replace the starter (a couple of hundred bucks) before paying out thousands for fuel system reco. Guess What? Starting problem was cured.

Apparently it takes a lot of grunt to turn over a modern CR diesel motor. If your battery or starter is not up to the task the motor may crank over but not well enough to fire.

Best of luck
Jim K

happygu
21st December 2015, 08:16 AM
Sounds like it is cranking over, but not starting Rob?

If this is the case, it will most probably be either a leaky injector or the fuel pressure relief valve on the end on the fuel rail that is leaking, and not letting it start due to perceived low fuel pressure.

threedogs
21st December 2015, 12:03 PM
If you can Super Cheap have a diagnostic tool they can plug in and tell what faults if any you have.
I would invest in a SCAN GUAGE, to suit you CRD, clear your own faults then.
You could clean your Maf sensor and disconnect the battery for 1/2hr to see if that improves things
Could also be a cracked fuel line allowing it to leak back a tad
It could even be your ECU relay.
Big Fletch wrote a bit about it Ill find the thread for you

the evil twin
21st December 2015, 12:09 PM
Hi, have a 2007 ZD3.0l turbo common rail suddenly developed a starting problem. Sometimes starts straight away sometimes not , once started runs fine but if turned off will usually not start again. Have replaced fuel filter and checked for leaks (none found). Does anyone have any suggestions, cheers Rob

Agree with happy GU... sounds like a fuel or relay/sensor issue rather than a starter circuit to me if it "runs fine but if turned off will usually not start again".

You could try swapping the ECU relay and A/C relay at the fuse box.
That sucker can cause some weird shit and it is easy (and cheap) to rule it out by swapping.

edit... TD posted the pics while I was typing... thanks dude

threedogs
21st December 2015, 12:14 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1428-GU-3ltr-owners-ECM-relay-issues&highlight=FLETCH

Heres the link from Big Fletch

Hodge
21st December 2015, 07:15 PM
Definitely sounds like the relief valve IMO.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63412&stc=1

threedogs
21st December 2015, 07:19 PM
Have a read of 3lt CRD issues by EX teltra Truck same problem I think

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?36086-3l-crd-issues