PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in the Arthur-Pieman?

TazManiac
9th November 2014, 08:36 AM
Found this article on the reopening of the Arthur-Pieman interesting. Could be harder than anticipated to get these tracks reopened.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/aboriginals-warn-of-4wd-track-protests/story-fnj4f7k1-1227117107444

threedogs
9th November 2014, 09:07 AM
Not familiar with your 4x4 scene but thats great your Gov has decided to OPEN a track, here they would close them all if they could.
If this track is re-opened your 4x4 movement should make sure all drive on the tracks and remove any rubbish.
I can see this back firing over a few idiots doing the wrong thing, Gee I hope I'm wrong. Looks like an awesome spot BTW

Pokey
9th November 2014, 09:54 AM
The Arthur Pieman is breathtakingly beautiful and rugged. Some absolutely awesome tracks there. My family has a holiday home at Arthur River and we've been fighting for certain tracks to be reopened for a while now. The Labor/Green govt did all they could to shut up the north west of Tassie. Can't wait for the protests :-)

Dhuck
9th November 2014, 12:20 PM
looks awesome for you Tas folk. Long way from Brisbane lol

TazManiac
9th November 2014, 01:33 PM
I'd certainly be up for a trip over there when they open her up again. Looks fantastic. We have been told to take the caravan over to Arthur River so would love to do some wheeling while there.

Aaron

taslucas
9th November 2014, 03:39 PM
Is there a map showing the track to be reopened?
A couple of years ago when they closed a lot of tracks there were heaps of complainers and protesters that merely hear the words "closing 4wd tracks" and start fighting without finding out what the proposal actually was.....the big guy roothy even made an appearance to whip up the crowd.
The reality was that the vast majority of
tracks that were closed were tiny dead ends splintering off the main single track, some a short as 50 or 100 metres. These tiny dead ends usually end in a doughy patch or bog hole that gets trashed and destroyed.
Can't wait to see which track they are reopening as I think it must be a main one.
And yeah I hope users take care of the area to set a good example for the whole community

taslucas
9th November 2014, 03:43 PM
.........The Labor/Green govt did all they could to shut up the north west of Tassie. Can't wait for the protests :-)

Which other tracks were shut? Im only aware of the tracks past temma which is only a tiny slither of the north west coast

TazManiac
9th November 2014, 07:47 PM
Haven't seem a map but from what I read it sound like it opens the main tracks heading south again.

Pokey
10th November 2014, 12:54 PM
Taslucas the Church Rock track was closed and the main track from Interview River to the Pieman plus the inland track from the Interview mines to the Pieman River. Yeah lots of small tracks were blocked aslo which wont ever be reopened - no issues there. 90km of track is to be reopened. We used to be able to go from Marrawah to the Pieman river only using about 1km of road.
Pokey

taslucas
10th November 2014, 02:04 PM
Cool, cheers for the info :-). I've only been as far as the the big dunes south of the light house which is maybe 3/4 the way to the pieman?
It's great if the main track is reopened the whole way. I agree with you that it's no drama for the some of the small dead end tracks to be closed.
It's been a couple of years since I went down there... Would love to go again soon

TazManiac
11th November 2014, 11:18 AM
We should organise a trip for the Tasmanian forum members in the new year if it does reopen.

taslucas
11th November 2014, 11:50 AM
We should organise a trip for the Tasmanian forum members in the new year if it does reopen.

We should organise a trip for ANY forum members. I owe a few of the Vic boys a good time!

TazManiac
11th November 2014, 01:06 PM
We should organise a trip for ANY forum members. I owe a few of the Vic boys a good time!

LOL. Silly me. I forget that 4WD folk love to travel.

threedogs
11th November 2014, 02:36 PM
Dont you have a 4x4 association down there fighting to keeps tracks open?

GU CAMPER
11th November 2014, 07:42 PM
Hoping to be back down there in the new year. You'll have to come down there for a spin with us Lucas. Will drag Jay along too

the evil twin
11th November 2014, 08:43 PM
snip...
I owe a few of the Vic boys a good time!

Uuuuummmm...
Are you referring to wheeling... or... does the toilet graffiti down there say "for a good time see taslucas"

taslucas
12th November 2014, 12:10 PM
Uuuuummmm...
Are you referring to wheeling... or... does the toilet graffiti down there say "for a good time see taslucas"

One and then the other!

taslucas
12th November 2014, 12:11 PM
Hoping to be back down there in the new year. You'll have to come down there for a spin with us Lucas. Will drag Jay along too

Yeah awesome! That'd be cool. Haha yeah I haven't seen the old scrub duck in a while...... He's running serious boost in his 75 series now....