PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advise on Patrol lift Kits and other accessories...

tayler.challis
6th November 2014, 09:07 PM
Hey Guys, just looking for some advise i'm looking at putting a Lift Kit on my patrol it a 1998 GU Y61 4.2Lt Diesel Patrol. I just want to know whats the best Brand of shocks i should get and should i stick to Nitrogen shock or a Foam cell shock???

Sharky1
7th November 2014, 01:09 AM
Tough dog 9 stage adjustables or Raw Nitros. A simple choice ;-)

I have the exact same car as you & I've had both of those shocks on it. I've got a 4" lift with King SP4's. I honestly wouldn't waste my time on anything else. Foam cells are good for on rd comfort but not so much for 4x4 work which is what you're lifting the car for in the 1st place.

Drewboyaus
7th November 2014, 07:20 AM
What are you using your car for, mate?
Daily drive? Outback Touring? High country touring? Muddy ruts? Extreme climbs? Rock hopping? Towing? All of the above...?
That is the first question you should ask and will direct all other answers....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

GaryXCY
7th November 2014, 08:19 AM
Hi tayler.challis,

I have a zd30 2003 patrol, with a 2inch lift and use EFS springs and shocks. It was a cost effective upgrade and had this done less than a year ago. I'm still figuring out the technical stuff so haven't much advice to give but had considered foam shocks because i was told they were designed to handle corrugations better. But in the end chose not to use them because i've also read that they are not as effective in the long term. I use my vehicle as a daily on-road driver but also do a reasonable amount offroad travelling (no towing), not anything really extreme at the moment, and have had no issue with my current setup yet. Choosing a setup is personal choice and varies from vehicle to vehicle and depends on what you would be using your vehicle for (per Drewboyaus).

SG1
7th November 2014, 02:41 PM
I'm also looking at a lift some time in future, and been pondering the same questions, came to a logical choice that comfort on and offroad is a must, then got honest with my self about it all and it confirmed what I already knew, that I spend more hours driving on tarmac, use as a daily driver and also love going offroad but not prepared to thrash my pride and joy but get amongst it while taking care also so I can still drive it as it was before I went offroad, this is when I knew what suspension I needed not what I'd like to do for filling up on my ego and never using it to it's full potential anyway and keeping it legal is a priority for me, have been keeping an eye on the ironman 'new' foam cell shocks and look forward to hearing more about them.

threedogs
7th November 2014, 04:01 PM
I have an EFS 2" set up and will go where I want it too.
If going to the Cape or CSR I would seriously think about LTR remote canister shocks or Koni.
Koni are rebuildable and from all reports give a great ride.
Mine is a daily come what ever but its main job is to get me to the Murray when needed
An Awning is handy for roadside stops in the sun, any of the rear wheel carrier would help keep the weight off the rear door',,,
A dual battery system is a no brainer

tayler.challis
7th November 2014, 07:47 PM
What are you using your car for, mate?
Daily drive? Outback Touring? High country touring? Muddy ruts? Extreme climbs? Rock hopping? Towing? All of the above...?
That is the first question you should ask and will direct all other answers....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hey mate,

As i live on the sunny coast i do a lot of Beach driving ie. North shore & Fraser island, however i also do equally as much off road work going through muddy ruts over logs and rocks out Gympie and Kenilworth way but nothing as extreme as rock hopping or serious hill climbing. The car is used for towing but nothing overly heavy like a caravan only a camper trailer and box trailer.

MudRunnerTD
7th November 2014, 08:16 PM
Old Man Emu Nitro Charger matched to OME springs to suit your car mate. They will suit you to a T and will last you a few 100,000kms. National wide service and warranty and many happy customers.

Leading the way for 30 years mate. OME in a heart beat.

Ben-e-boy
7th November 2014, 08:44 PM
Do you want the Best out there or the best you can afford?

If you want the best out there, the above mentioned shocks dont even come remotely close to the best.
King and Fox shocks are right up there and there is support in Qld, (I have King smoothies)
There is a guy in landsborough Murry Cootes who builds custom shocks for about the same price as king and fox

Armada extreme from superior are a bit more budget friendly compared to king a fox. I have driven on Amadas and I do like them.
Superior also sell profender which are cheaper again I think.

tayler.challis
7th November 2014, 09:58 PM
All right guys, cheers, and thanks for your help sounds like a choice between Emu Kings and Fox... ;)