PDA

View Full Version : Converting a maglite to led

threedogs
6th November 2014, 04:00 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TERRALUX-CREE-LED-BULB-FOR-4-5-or-6-CELL-MAGLITE-FLASHLIGHTS-140-LUMENS-TLE-6EX-/141433080867?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item20ee118c23

Has anyone converted their Maglite to "led", I have a few including a 6 cell but dont know if it would be worth while.
I converted my mini mag but there are heaps of better/cheaper torches out there IMO.
Ant feed back would be great,
I even have a 75 watt HID torch but thats more a toy lol,
just brought a Ultra Fire Cree T6 they say will go for 800 mtrs will see when dark eh.

the evil twin
6th November 2014, 04:21 PM
Yes I have converted two Maggy's using those Terralux drop ins, old mate.

Upside is you get a beam as 'long' as a LED lenser or Ultra Fide and heaps of battery life.
I am still on the same batteries after about 3 years

Downside is you get a very noticeable and somewhat irritating 'donut' pattern as you move focus from spot to the spread beam.

threedogs
6th November 2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks was thinking it was not worth while filling up a 6 cell maglite.
Before it would only last a weekend, then I went rechargables, but at $7 plus a battery
I conceded and went for this new fangle thing called LED, that was back in the late 80's
6 batteries cost the same as a decent LED torch back then. very affordable now

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TERRALUX-1000-LUMENS-LED-UPGRADE-BULB-for-MAGLITE-D-CELL-FLASHLIGHT-TLE-310MEX-/141461284181?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item20efbfe555
Just found this and think it will be better for my needs,

oncedisturbed
6th November 2014, 07:14 PM
Did it to my 5C cell, super bright and lasts ages. Cheaper buying a new mini ma or similar torch for the price of converting.

Bunnings have a few from Coast Lighting.......fark a duck they get bright and cheaper. Got a single AAA jobbie that can light up the back yard.

Anaconda have similar 1w LED AA from memory for $5, well worth it

megatexture
6th November 2014, 07:16 PM
I've done mine and am very happy with it mine was a 3xd mag and its like a new torch.

I also use rechargeable batteries that make it half the weight. 3xaa that fit in a d cell shell and are only 100 milliamp less per battery than d cell Duracell/energizers

sooty_10
7th November 2014, 09:23 AM
I upgraded my D cell maglight with a terralux drop in bulb, cost me around $25 delivered from the UK. I didn't want to modify the reflector or anything else and wanted a cheap option.

As ET said on spread it moves through a noticeable donought, but on spot it is 'spot on' ;) I only ever use the mag light on spot anyway which is partly why I didn't want to go one of those multi LED heads or anything, I have other led lights for around camp and spread functions. In saying that even on spot there is still plenty of light spread to see in the dark.

Here is the website I got my bulb from.... TTS-3WCR90

http://thetorchsite.co.uk/TTS-3WCR90_Maglite_CNC_Fit.html

I like the idea of using rechargeable batteries might have to look into them, I'm ex-army so still have a stock pile of D-cell batteries to use up though.

Those D-cell size AA holders look pretty cool too Mega.

threedogs
7th November 2014, 10:46 AM
Using rechargeable batteries your torch wont last as long,
but it is a saving in the long run and batteries are very affordable these days

threedogs
7th November 2014, 04:33 PM
was just reading the stats on that triple tri star LED module.
MAX output is 1000 lumens but only lasts 2 hrs, to me that
defeats the purpose of using LED in the first place

megatexture
7th November 2014, 08:10 PM
I upgraded my D cell maglight with a terralux drop in bulb, cost me around $25 delivered from the UK. I didn't want to modify the reflector or anything else and wanted a cheap option.

As ET said on spread it moves through a noticeable donought, but on spot it is 'spot on' ;) I only ever use the mag light on spot anyway which is partly why I didn't want to go one of those multi LED heads or anything, I have other led lights for around camp and spread functions. In saying that even on spot there is still plenty of light spread to see in the dark.

Here is the website I got my bulb from.... TTS-3WCR90

http://thetorchsite.co.uk/TTS-3WCR90_Maglite_CNC_Fit.html

I like the idea of using rechargeable batteries might have to look into them, I'm ex-army so still have a stock pile of D-cell batteries to use up though.

Those D-cell size AA holders look pretty cool too Mega.

I saw 3w led drop in bulbs at Stratco for $6 mind you that's after I payed 12$ on ebay

megatexture
7th November 2014, 08:14 PM
Using rechargeable batteries your torch wont last as long,
but it is a saving in the long run and batteries are very affordable these days

With 2 kids my rechargeable batteries have a fast turn around so it saves me shitloads, these ones seem good and the technology may have come a long way since you last tried them, also the charger drains them dead b4 it charges them

threedogs
8th November 2014, 03:39 PM
With 2 kids my rechargeable batteries have a fast turn around so it saves me shitloads, these ones seem good and the technology may have come a long way since you last tried them, also the charger drains them dead b4 it charges them

I hear your pain when my boys were younger I stressed no toys with batteries please.
Now not so bad eh but talking 20 years ago

BigRAWesty
8th November 2014, 08:42 PM
Those eneloops are the ducks guts. And will probably outlast any single use battery.

yazz22
18th June 2015, 11:53 PM
I've converted my 4D cell using a maglite LED bulb. Working like a charm