PDA

View Full Version : Our Cape Tribulation, Bloomfield to Lakefield National Park Trip

harrythomas
6th November 2014, 03:45 PM
Early October 2014 we packed our camper and loaded it onto our Patrol and headed off on our trip which we had been planning for a couple of months. I would like to thank Cuppa, P4trol, FNQGU and Apollofish for their tips during our planing stage.

Early next morning we lined up to board the ferry and cross the Daintree River after stopping overnight at Innisfail..
51249 51250

After a drive of about 17k from the ferry we booked into the Lync Haven Rainforest Retreat which has camp sites set in the rainforest.

The owners Scott and Jodie make visitors feel very welcome and Scott usually does a crocodile feeding every day.

We can also recommend their restaurant which has many excellent selections on the menu.

With there being plenty to see and do at Cape Tribulation we ended up spending six days camped at the Lync Haven Rainforest Retreat.

One of our favourite spots there was this secluded swimming Hole.

And we also made time to see where the Rainforest meets the Reef.

We were also lucky enough to have this visitor come to our camp site.

Then it was off for the challenge of the Bloomfield Track. No sooner had we left the bitumen and it started to rain. Fortunately it did not last for long so our decision to push on was good.

(some photos are a bit fuzzy as they are stills taken off a video)

First creek crossing, Emmagen Creek

Then Tachalbadga Creek

Some shots of the drive along the Bloomfield Track.
51259 51260
51261 51262

The dry Collins Creek

the next three are over the Cowie Range
51265 51264 51266

and as always there is someone in a hell of a hurry

then this? Maybe for the bloke in a hurry

but more likely for this a new bridge across Woobadaa Creek (not a good shot but all we got)
51269 51270

then a tight squeeze out the other side
51272 51273 51271

We struck very little on coming traffic. Those we did strike gave us plenty of room.

The old story, the tortoise and the hare.

A power steering connection had come loose so after we lent him some tools he was on the road again.

Then came a bit of a disappointment.
51276 51277

The causeway across the Bloomfield River which many people spoke about and I was looking forward to crossing is now gone, replaced by a bridge.

While at Bloomfield we then took time out to visit to the Bloomfield Falls.

We then headed off to the Lions Den Hotel. The road from Bloomfield is nearly all bitumen except for a couple of kilometres of gravel.

After all we heard about the Lions Den it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. Having to step through the cow pads at night, showers that left a lot to be desired and their add (still on their web site) which advertises meals seven days a week but when we went up on a Monday night for dinner we were bluntly told that the kitchen is closed on a Monday but we could have pizza. We passed on that. Who has ever heard of pizzas where you are charged extra for olives and alike! Fortunately we had plenty of supplies in the camper.

The Lions Den camping area is a cow paddock

While camping at the Lions Den we took a drive out to Home Rule Rainforest Lodge for a visit.

We were greeted at the entrance by the owner, Hal who invited my wife and I in for a cup of tea . We spent some time with him chatting about the Wallaby Creek Festival which is held there, his hydro electric scheme that supplies all his power and his time spent flying planes. The trip out was well worth our time and thanks Cuppa for the tip.

From the Lions Den we made the short trip to Cooktown.

There we spent a couple of days doing the tourist bit.

Black Mountain

Archer Point Lighthouse – We didn't use 4 wheel drive but it is steep.
51284 51285 51286

Keatings Lagoon
51288 51287

Finch Bay

Grassy Hill Lighthouse and Endeavour River
51290 51291

Coloured Sands at Elim Beach
51292 51293

While at Cooktown we camped at the Cooktown Orchard Caravan Park which just happened to be behind The Italian Restaurant. For those who love fine Italian food this restaurant would have to be the best.

We made the short drive to Endeavour Falls Tourist Park, about 30k and set up camp for the night. A clean, green park with some wild looking cattle next door and a short walk to the Endeavour Falls.
51294 51296 51295

Next day we left civilisation and headed for the Hann Crossing Camp site in the Lakefield National Park. First crossing on the Battle Camp Road was the Normandy River.

Then we crossed into the Lakefield National park.

The next crossing was the Laura River.

and arrived at the Old Laura Homestead.
51300 51301
51302 51303

Then turning into Lakefield Road we passed White Lily, Red Lily Lagoons and the Breeza Homestead.
51304 51305
51306 51307

The track into the Hann Crossing Camp Site was a bit rough but the Patrol handled it though the high clearance vehicle was definitely needed.
51309 51308

Didn't take long to set up camp and enjoy the peace and tranquillity with the view of the Hann River and surrounding termite hills.
51310 51312 51311

After a few days we packed up and headed across the Hann River and Saltwater Creek for Musgrave
51313 51314
51315 51316

We then turned onto the Peninsula Developmental Road for Lakeland where we camped overnight.

Next day we left Lakeland and headed along the Mulligan Highway down the Great Dividing Range for home.

For the trip we travelled over 2,800k.

Sir Roofy
6th November 2014, 04:27 PM
Very interesting thanks for sharing

jack
6th November 2014, 04:38 PM
Great photos harrythomas, glad you all had a good time. Wish I was up there again myself.

TPC
6th November 2014, 05:01 PM
Great photos and trip report, thanks for sharing.
Makes me really want to get away again.

megatexture
6th November 2014, 07:23 PM
We love pics thanks!

Maxhead
6th November 2014, 07:32 PM
We stayed at Lync Haven when we were up there, have to agree the restaurant did a mean feast!
Do they still do a movie night for the kids??

Looks like you met Doris the crock as well...LOL

Cuppa
6th November 2014, 07:46 PM
Great stuff harrythomas, I wish others were always so thorough with their feedback. I’m looking forward to one day getting further north than Elim Beach. Glad you had a top time.

harrythomas
6th November 2014, 09:27 PM
We stayed at Lync Haven when we were up there, have to agree the restaurant did a mean feast!
Do they still do a movie night for the kids??

Looks like you met Doris the crock as well...LOL

They didn't mention the movie hight while we were there but it was the start of the off season with very few visitors. Maybe they still run it when it is busy.

Scott put on a great show with Doris and he is very good at it. Wouldn't catch me in there with her.

pearcey
6th November 2014, 09:34 PM
Great photos mate, brought back some great memories
2 things we didn`t see in the wild were a croc or a Cassowary, and we have been up there twice.
Loved the shot of the long horn
Thanks
Beers and Cheers Pearcey

harrythomas
7th November 2014, 09:33 PM
Great stuff harrythomas, I wish others were always so thorough with their feedback. I’m looking forward to one day getting further north than Elim Beach. Glad you had a top time.

I am sure that one day you will go further north than Elim Beach Cuppa. It is in our blood! Please let me know when you do as I would like to meet up with you.

harrythomas
7th November 2014, 09:38 PM
Great photos mate, brought back some great memories
2 things we didn`t see in the wild were a croc or a Cassowary, and we have been up there twice.
Loved the shot of the long horn
Thanks
Beers and Cheers Pearcey

We had the pleasure of seeing the Cassowary in the wild but I am not real keen on seeing a croc. Just call me a chicken and the long horn was taken with a long telephoto lens. It looked a bit angry.