PDA

View Full Version : Sorting out my comms.

threedogs
5th November 2014, 03:06 PM
Just trying to sort my communication out,I have an old Dick Smith Hornet 2 upper and lower side band, but a bit old hat these days.
I just purchased two head sets and I've just realized is they fit both my hand helds.
the larger is a 5watt/2 watt GME TX 6200 the other is a 2 watt Icom 40jr. Both great radios IMO
had the Icom for years and its never let me down.
I have a spare 80 channel thats new but don't think I'll use it,
but would go well in a small pop top caravan as a home base style radio.
Now all I need is a small pop top caravan lol, Maybe next year

What does every one else use??

the evil twin
5th November 2014, 04:10 PM
Hi TD.

27 Meg is still alive and well and in use by more than a few people over here in WA mainly larger stations etc.
It is quite handy for extra range and all the rubber duck wankers went to UHF so is actually a pleasure to use these days.
I had a dual band set in one of my Patrols but my wanderings have changed and don't use 27 much anymore so didn't fit it to the current rig.

I have a bunch of Wouxun kit but being 'commercial' as opposed to CB format they aren't for everybody
The Patrol set is a 5/20/40 watt twin Reciever set with remote head unit and also speaker mic controls
That set I programmed for UHF CB, SES and some Police area freqs (with TX inhibited) on it

Of my handhelds, I use 5 watt Wouxun, one is dual band 27/UHF and the other is UHF with CB freq's only so I can let others use it if req'd and I have a couple of 2 watt 40 channel Unidens for around camp for the kids/grandkids

threedogs
5th November 2014, 05:01 PM
WOW some set up you have,i loved talking on side band.
waiting for school to finish getting the latest crayfish price from the school car park.
talking to dudes in america, great memories.
might set it up at home out the back.
I did have a small UHF/CB unit but thats in my other 4x4 only 2watts I think

doka404
5th November 2014, 05:14 PM
Normal 80ch 5 watt remote head uhf in the patrol along with an Icom handheld.
Have a few Selex PRR Radios which are the clearest radio's I have used, but are only short range. VOX function work extremely well on them so great for spotting.
Cupboard full of Clansman PRC-349, VRC-351M, RT-352, RT-351 and a few others that never get used..but cant bring myself to part with them :)

Agronaught
5th November 2014, 06:04 PM
Where do I start...

Yaesu ft-867d for HF, vhf and UHF.

Alinco dr-635t vhf/UHF. Does have cb coverage if needed.

Gme tx3100 UHF cb for normal cb use.

ICOM ic-7100 radio for the base station if I'm on one of my radio weekends.

Multiple Vhf/UHF handhelds from $30 to $300 depending on circumstances/band/use.

For example If its raining I'll go the ip60 rated unit which isn't a great radio, but it won't be affected by rain. I give the cheapies to the kids if they are wandering away from camp, if they drop or break it is not an issue.

Be aware of the licencing though. I'm licenced for all the above gear, but only certain uses for each piece of kit unless its an emergency.

I can access most usuable bands and modes with the above kit at up to 100 Watts.

I am considering a codan to replace some of the above as they are an incredible radio for HF.

J

DX grunt
5th November 2014, 09:07 PM
If you're interested in selling your USB/LSB 27MHZ CB, give me a call, with a price.

Rossco

the evil twin
5th November 2014, 09:07 PM
For HF I have a Codan NGT (and carry a Sat Phone as well).

Highly recommend the Codan, they are a very tough unit.

DX grunt
5th November 2014, 09:13 PM
For HF I have a Codan NGT (and carry a Sat Phone as well).

Highly recommend the Codan, they are a very tough unit.

Me too. I love my Codan NGT AR. I'm with the VKS 737 network.

Hey ET, do you wanna sell yr AM/SSB CB?

GQ TANK
20th December 2014, 12:58 AM
I like the Codan NGTS, but have started looking at the new Codan Envoy radio for a couple of applications (remote IP control)

robewott
6th February 2015, 11:13 AM
I have a GME uhf for work. It sits in a cradle on my back pack. I have a Wilson booster/amplifier on my mobile which allows me to connect to the internet. The mobile tower is 60k away.
My satphone is an isatphone pro1, which travels with me everywhere. The pro's of the inmarsat unit is that it is relatively cheap compared to the rest($220/year) 2) It works all over aus with no black spots. 3) It is small & light. The cons-1)it will only work with the aerial up. 2) it is slow to connect to the network. 3) for some reason the battery goes dead flat if i leave it in the phone(with the phone off)I travel with the battery out of the phone.. 4) sometimes getting the firmware into the phone can be a real pain in the arse.
my satphone gives me incredible peace of mind when i'm traveling on inland goat tracks. Wonderfull device.

GQ TANK
21st June 2015, 12:35 PM
re battery going flat - most new electronics use a "soft off" - and draw some power even when turned off.

The old staff used a mechanical switch that disconnected the power.