PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil

Shaft10
3rd November 2014, 03:11 PM
Just wondering what's the best oil to run in my manual box in a diesel gq. And in the transfer. And how much they hold cheers

growler2058
3rd November 2014, 07:42 PM
I used Castrol 80w 90, cant remember how much, but you'll get that info from the manual. Remember to make sure you can undo the fille plug before you drain the oil, they can be a right bastard to undo. I used an electric rattle gun,s 1,2 inch drive to undo them.

nissannewby
4th November 2014, 08:15 AM
Make sure the oil has a GL-4 specification.

Shaft10
6th November 2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks fellas I ended up find castrol oil that was right

snakessou
21st January 2015, 04:03 PM
[Remember to make sure you can undo the fille plug before you drain the oil, they can be a right bastard to undo. I used an electric rattle gun,s 1,2 inch drive to undo them.]

i mad sure on my gu 2.8 that i could take the fill plug out, then i attempted to take the drain pull out with no joy.
who ever done the change last time has mashed the inside of the plug with a 1/2 inch driver.
how in gods name am i going to get the bugger out now?
i know i could just use some sort of hand pump and remove the fluid from the side and then fill it but jee wizz should i have to?

mudnut
21st January 2015, 06:22 PM
Gidday, snakessou. I bought a new plug and I had to take my Patrol to an engineering place to get an old impact socket mig welded to the old plug. Even with the socket it took a breaker bar and a metre long pipe to crack the plug open.

snakessou
24th January 2015, 05:30 AM
sounds like fun