PDA

View Full Version : Converting a TD42 Auto to 12V

De Ranged
1st November 2014, 08:29 PM
A little background why I want to do this
I am fitting a TD42 and auto into an old Series 2 landrover, all of the electrics in this are 12v and this wold be the easiest and cheapest option to deal with other planed upgrades and additions (central locking, GPS variable wipers etc)
I understand I could run it with the motor and trans in 24v and step down the rest.... I'd rather keep it all one volt, First I'm not the flashest at sorting electrical faults adding mixed voltage to the system isn't going to help, next I plan to keep this toy for... along time and I have a pipe dream of throwing the truck in a container and shipping it to Aus to do some expedition stuff so a simple system with body earth would be real nice

Now the idea is to deal with the the motor with TD27 alternator and electronics I think I can muddle my way through this
The bit I'm lost on is the trans would it be possible to convert this to 12v or am I stuck having to run a step up for this

Any body able to offer any advice ?

taslucas
1st November 2014, 11:55 PM
I thought they were 12v.

the evil twin
2nd November 2014, 12:18 AM
snip...
Now the idea is to deal with the the motor with TD27 alternator and electronics I think I can muddle my way through this
The bit I'm lost on is the trans would it be possible to convert this to 12v or am I stuck having to run a step up for this

Any body able to offer any advice ?

A 24 to 12 volt tranny conversion has been done a few times that I know of but I didn't pay a lot of attention to the process.

IIRC the best way to do it is to take the opportunity to grab an upgraded valve body thru Wholesale Automatics to convert the box and a 12 Volt TCU off the wreckers/gumtree/ebay or whatever.

I would email Wholesale Automatics in Melbourne and ask their advice or google them and have a look thru their "Ask Orto" FAQ's etc on their webpage