PDA

View Full Version : My 6th Patrol is now a Y62

bullo
1st November 2014, 02:44 PM
Having spent a week or more in working out a replacement for my 2 yo Gu8 I ended up choosing a Landcruiser Vx diesel. However having once owned a toyota, was a little cautious of going ahead and betraying my loyalty to the patrols.They have never let me down and taken quite a hammering at times.
So I dropped into a Nissan dealer to have a close look at the Y62. After the first drive I was hooked and didn't care about the "toted" huge fuel consumption. At the moment Nissan appear to be almost giving them away as a promotion to get more out there. The price difference was over $25,000. That would buy a lot of slabs of beer!!!
My current 3 litre Patrol struggles to pull our caravan against the wind and up hill at the same time and was using 18-20 l/100 doing it. So the only real replacement choice was limited. One concern that tended to raise caution on a Toyota was several reports on Landcruiser forums of the motors getting "dusted" and need replacing after getting into the 150-200,000 klm range. Toyota was giving these guys a $8000 exchange discount on a new one at a price of around $30,000, so maybe they are not a long lasting proposition. They are a terrific machine just the same but at $25,000 more to buy. If this is not a few isolated instances it could become a bit of a problem for the brand.
The Patrol in comparison also has less wind, engine and road noise getting into the cabin. I don't get the machine until next week so will give an update after I have driven around and towed my van. cheers!

Stropp
1st November 2014, 07:18 PM
Good luck mate and let us know how she goes.

Sir Roofy
1st November 2014, 07:59 PM
If only i could,there are a few starting to appear on the roads now
good luck with it

TPC
1st November 2014, 08:23 PM
Will be interested to hear how it goes, we need some reports on the Y62 on here.

Hegerty
3rd November 2014, 09:32 PM
Hi bullo, I picked up my Y62, two weeks ago and absolutely love it. Like you i had settled on a cruiser but one test drive in the patrol and a sizable discount that allowed my to buy some other toys my decision was easy. It gets its bull bar fitted next week to go with the new exhaust and a K&n air filter. The only issue that I have with it is that it is wicked fast at the lights.

bullo
5th November 2014, 02:09 PM
Hi bullo, I picked up my Y62, two weeks ago and absolutely love it. Like you i had settled on a cruiser but one test drive in the patrol and a sizable discount that allowed my to buy some other toys my decision was easy. It gets its bull bar fitted next week to go with the new exhaust and a K&n air filter. The only issue that I have with it is that it is wicked fast at the lights.

Yea, I still have all my points so will have to really watch out!! Where did you get your K @ N air filter from? (internet?). Nissan's polocy of getting some out there cheap will certainly pay off for them, however I don't think it will last long as I saved over $25,000 on what I was prepared to pay and got a Kayak carrier, tow bar, bonnet protector, electric brake sensor and headlight shields included. All that would eat into their margin, since these came to Australia the Yen has risen a lot against the Aussie dollar. I actually can't see a better time to spend our money, maybe this time next year the value of our vehicle purchases may have risen by 20% or more!!!! This happened in the late 1970's. cheers,

Hegerty
6th November 2014, 08:39 AM
I got the K&n from eBay usa. It is for a qx80 infiniti. Got the exhaust from factorydirect4x4exhausts.com.au.

bullo
8th November 2014, 11:29 AM
Picked the beast up yesterday! Yep fallen in love again. Oh well!!! I filled up and had 740 klms shown to empty and drove home to York 130 klms and the distance to empty was updating to show 898 klms by the time I got home. Really quite good I thought. Seems true that by gentle acceleration you are getting terrific economy for a 2.7 ton vehicle. Apart from that there is 50 klms of rough and windey road,the suspension just soaked it up. No wind noise either. Thanks Hegerty, have ordered a K & N. cheers!

ADC
30th November 2014, 01:24 PM
Gday Everyone new to this forum, awesome reading top forum , great to see so many of us sticking with the Patrol.

Bullo may I ask if you have had a chance to tow with it yet?

I have ordered mine and am coming out of a GU6, I would be very interested to hear how it tows new. Heard some differing reports. Sometimes its a bit hard to work out fiction from fact.

bullo
30th November 2014, 08:32 PM
I am off in a couple of days time for about a 600 k round trip towing a full size 2.8 ton off road van and will let you know how it goes. I am hoping for 19-23 l/100k's as that appears to be the range, a lot depends on wind direction and your speed. I will update in just over a weeks time. I have done 2 fills and ordinary driving used 7.6l/K and 7.3l/K 80% country and 20% city. I am quite amazed at how economical they are but don't put you foot down too fast or hard when taking off. cheers!

megatexture
30th November 2014, 08:43 PM
I am off in a couple of days time for about a 600 k round trip towing a full size 2.8 ton off road van and will let you know how it goes. I am hoping for 19-23 l/100k's as that appears to be the range, a lot depends on wind direction and your speed. I will update in just over a weeks time. I have done 2 fills and ordinary driving used 7.6l/K and 7.3l/K 80% country and 20% city. I am quite amazed at how economical they are but don't put you foot down too fast or hard when taking off. cheers!

That's ltrs per 100 k I hope lol

Hodge
30th November 2014, 08:50 PM
That's ltrs per 100 k I hope lol

If it is per 100km, it sounds too good to be true??? And if it is per km... well. He'll need to tow a tanker behind him instead of his camper.

megatexture
30th November 2014, 09:21 PM
That's what I was thinking as well surely those calculations are off

gubigfish
30th November 2014, 11:32 PM
If it is per 100km, it sounds too good to be true??? And if it is per km... well. He'll need to tow a tanker behind him instead of his camper.

if its true im sure there will be a bunch of gu's being traded in :jawdrop::bigthumbup:

Jtraf
2nd December 2014, 02:27 AM
7.3kay per litre is a very respectable 14lt per hundred if that is how it is to be interpreted....better than my td42 GQ

bullo
2nd December 2014, 05:21 PM
OK I got 'em arse about, it was 7.6 &b 7.3 K/L. Around 13.4l/100k's. We also have an Xtrail 7 yo and there is no black soot in the tail pipe like there is in the Y62. Black soot indicates to me that it is running a bit rich as well. Will have a look after a long run. cheers!

bullo
5th December 2014, 06:01 PM

Still too early yet but after 261k's I could only get 49.4 litres in the tank. (19.4l/100k's) same as my GU 8 deisel it's range 17-20l/100k's same van with 200l's extra water to tow. The trip was light crosswinds, fairly hilly and at 90-100k/hr same speeds except I could easily keep over 80K/hr on any of the hills. I am very impressed with it's towing ability. Relaxing on a beach for a few days before towing home and it will be against a headwind and will let you know how we go. cheers!!