PDA

View Full Version : Removal of GQ front grill

boggy2006
1st March 2011, 09:30 PM
hi,

could anyone tell me how to remove the front grill from my GQ? It seems to be held on with some plastic clips along the top, but don't know how to remove them. They are slotted so tried a screwdriver, but that just broke the top off. Can't get to the other side of them either as they are in front of the radiator. I need to take it off to fit an oil cooler.

Thanks

NissanGQ4.2
1st March 2011, 09:33 PM
u slightly turn 2 the left i think bye memory with a flat bladed screw driver, u should be able 2 see the square cut out in the plastic grill, then pull the grill forward, yeh not the best invention.

clips go all the way around 2 and i think there are some in the middle somewhere

the evil twin
1st March 2011, 09:35 PM
There are about 10 of them and some are behind the indicator assy's and one low on the centre of the grill.

When you look at them they are like a diamond

Put a screw driver in the slot and turn the head 1/8th of a turn until the head is square... no more and no less.

The hole behind them is square and the grill will pop forward a few mm once you have done them all the grill comes forward and up.

They are about $12 bucks for 6 at Nissan to replace them if you bust a head off or wreck the slot

NissanGQ4.2
1st March 2011, 09:37 PM
There are about 10 of them and some are behind the indicator assy's and one low on the centre of the grill.

When you look at them they are like a diamond

Put a screw driver in the slot and turn the head 1/8th of a turn until the head is square... no more and no less.

The hole behind them is square and the grill will pop forward a few mm once you have done them all the grill comes forward and up.

They are about $12 bucks for 6 at Nissan to replace them

yeh thats what i meant *L*

the evil twin
1st March 2011, 09:39 PM
The knack in refitting them is remove the clips from the car body and put them in the grill while it is still out.

Push the head of the clip thru each Grill mounting hole from the back and with the head engaged this time turn the clip body with your fingers. When the body and head line up the clip will click home.

Locate the grill into place and just push the grill home at each clip and they will lock back into the body.

A lot of people replace them with cable ties or somesuch but I don't quite see the point. The grill will come out in minutes and go back on in seconds using the Nissan Clips

boggy2006
1st March 2011, 09:47 PM
thanks for all the quick replies!

boggy2006
1st March 2011, 09:54 PM
just tried it on one of them and off it popped. Sure enough, can't get it back on again! How do the clips come off the body work when refitting? Can't get to the back of some of them due to the radiator and stuff. To get behind the indicator assembly, is it just a case of removing the 2 screws in the indicator lens?

the evil twin
1st March 2011, 11:45 PM
Indicator assy... I think from memory there are 3 screws holding the assy (just have a good look I might be wrong and there might only be two) and then if you juggle the assy forward there are two grill clips behind each indicator assy 1 high 1 low

Clips... they are similar to most of the other placcy clips in that the body is tapered with a shoulder. Once the grill is off you can squeeze the body together and it will slip out easily. Trying to get them back in the grill when still in the body is almost impossible. Once the grill is off they are easy peasy to get at.

boggy2006
2nd March 2011, 07:36 AM
thanks again all!

HippoNZ
2nd March 2011, 10:56 AM
I had the same problem, however on one side mine broke when I had an incident 4wd'n, truck vs tree and the tree won. I took all the plastic clips off and replaced them with stainless steel bolts,washers and nuts. Does the job great, now I can take the grill on and off without the worry of breaking clips plus the grill sits nice and firm now too. Not exactly needed but works well for me

boggy2006
2nd March 2011, 11:34 AM
I had the same problem, however on one side mine broke when I had an incident 4wd'n, truck vs tree and the tree won. I took all the plastic clips off and replaced them with stainless steel bolts,washers and nuts. Does the job great, now I can take the grill on and off without the worry of breaking clips plus the grill sits nice and firm now too. Not exactly needed but works well for me

sounds good, how do get to the nuts at the back up against the radiator?