PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic rope on winch rubbing.

Johnno
1st July 2010, 07:30 PM
Just a quick one.

Theres been some talk here about using synthetic rope for winching.

Who here uses it, I just have a quick quiery.

How does it hold up when the rope is sitting along the ground over a hill or if it rubs on rocks when its in full tension?

Can the rope fray or does it still have cable inside?

GQ4.2
1st July 2010, 11:01 PM
rope in my view is 100 times safter and stronger than cable, I've done some very difficult tracks in the past and it's never let me down

best parts about rope is it is easy to handle, less chance of it flying back at you if the rope snaps

as for the fraying you will find that it can happen if you are dragging it over rocky hills etc, if that is the case use your damper to sit under the rope where it will rub on the ground or rocks

I personally think all 4wd winches should come with rope as standard

patch697
1st July 2010, 11:29 PM
rope in my view is 100 times safter and stronger than cable, I've done some very difficult tracks in the past and it's never let me down

best parts about rope is it is easy to handle, less chance of it flying back at you if the rope snaps

as for the fraying you will find that it can happen if you are dragging it over rocky hills etc, if that is the case use your damper to sit under the rope where it will rub on the ground or rocks

If you don't mind me asking GQ? out of curiosity, what type of winch are you running?

Cheers
Paul

Johnno
2nd July 2010, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the reply mate, sounds good!

MudRunnerTD
2nd July 2010, 02:55 PM
Everything he said Johnno, go the synthetic rope every time. respect it. protect it and it will serve you well in safety.

Abuse it and it will leave you hanging mate.

and its a joy for the Navi to drag up the hill.