PDA

View Full Version : auto shifting

johno1938
26th October 2014, 12:19 PM
apart from no engine braking whatsoever
most annoying is hyway cruising
the slightest load will cause the auto to change out of lockup,o/d & back no matter how carefully i drive
any one got any mods to fix it ??????

NissanGQ4.2
26th October 2014, 12:51 PM
Install a manual lock up convertor

Or just simply take it out of OD before the slightest of hills

the evil twin
26th October 2014, 01:12 PM
What he said ^^^^

You don't mention what model or engine but...

I never attempt to tow uphill in OD in an auto. The tranny ECU is programmed that way for a reason, engine load being just one of them

A manual lock up switch is an awesome mod.
Locking up the TC is a different issue to OD as a locked TC reduces heat at the expense of torque.
Probably the best 'driveability' mod I ever did to my GQ was a TC lock up switch.
Heaps better to tow with.
Essentially makes it a manual for engine braking offroad.
Saves a bit of fuel.
Saves some wear on the Tranny and keeps the Tranny temps down.

taslucas
26th October 2014, 04:22 PM
You may also get it to hold a bit better by adjusting the tps

jff45
26th October 2014, 08:07 PM
The auto TPS has a 2nd connector to indicate throttle fully open or fully closed. There's a set procedure for adjusting the TPS so it's not advisable to arbitrarily move it around.

taslucas
26th October 2014, 09:51 PM
The auto TPS has a 2nd connector to indicate throttle fully open or fully closed. There's a set procedure for adjusting the TPS so it's not advisable to arbitrarily move it around.

Depends on the model. On the tb42s the tps is designed to be adjusted then locked in place.

jff45
26th October 2014, 10:43 PM
Depends on the model. On the tb42s the tps is designed to be adjusted then locked in place.

The OP who is asking the question has a 06 GU..

taslucas
27th October 2014, 01:07 PM
The OP who is asking the question has a 06 GU..

Ahh ok cool. I take it it says that in the signature? I can't see that on my phone

jff45
27th October 2014, 03:18 PM
Ahh ok cool. I take it it says that in the signature? I can't see that on my phone

No, he mentioned it in an earlier post in a different thread..