PDA

View Full Version : Rear adjustable panhard rod - DIY

dom14
25th October 2014, 05:24 PM
Hey guys,
I'm just wondering, isn't it possible to make the existing panhard rod into an adjustable one by cutting it in half and welding a thick enough high tensile bolt & a nut?!!
I'm talking about a GQ Patrol.
Thanks

happygu
25th October 2014, 07:46 PM
If you want it adjustable on car, without taking if off to adjust, then no, as you will need a coupling with a left and right hand thread on each end of the rod to make it adjustable.

If you want to adjust it off the car then it is possible but I wouldn't want to do it, as what would happen if it snapped and your car became uncontrollable and you killed someone ... I would not take the risk for the $200 - $300 on a fully engineered one from a reputable supplier. Either way, welding a bolt and nut could introduce a weak point that could bend or break under the massive loads when out four-wheeling

Mic

89gqpatrol4x4
25th October 2014, 09:28 PM
Mate don't waste your time. The factory ones are made out of rice paper! Just buy one and save your time and the headaches!!

Stropp
25th October 2014, 09:52 PM
Yes totally agree with both above.

MudRunnerTD
25th October 2014, 11:05 PM
Me too Mate. The factory ones are paper thin and not worth the trouble. To answer your question directly though Yes. You can actually buy a weld in collar kit to so that exactly on eBay, I don't rate this as a viable modification though as the factory unit is so weak. Buy a decent adjustable one IMO

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/131318328526?nav=SEARCH

dom14
26th October 2014, 01:15 PM
Ok, cool. Thanks guys. Point is taken & I won't waste time on this DIY then. As you explained, the risk is not worth the trouble, and perhaps time & money as well.
I like DIY stuff, but not at the cost of safety.
Cheers.:beer: