PDA

View Full Version : Comfy seats for the GQ?

AB
28th February 2011, 08:24 PM
My ass seems to be getting a punishing in a non romantic way from the GQ seat.

After talking to some of the lads at the meet up I would love to hear any other stories from members that may have done something to make them more comfy.

Whether it be other seats that fit, modding the original or even just an added foam, etc...

Please save my ass...lol

YNOT
28th February 2011, 08:35 PM
Personally I like Scheel seats but they are hard to come by, can still be bought new under the name Scheel-Mann.
Another cheaper option is BA Falcon XR6 seats.

Tony

As for your comments about saving your ass and romantically punishing your ass...............you're on your own there!

AB
28th February 2011, 08:37 PM
mmm....Comfy!!!

Thanks Tony!

big_fletch
28th February 2011, 09:02 PM
I have heard of people fitting holden vy seats as well, like in your wagon

AB
28th February 2011, 09:04 PM
I have heard of people fitting holden vy seats as well, like in your wagon

I'm not too sure they fit well though, would love to hear otherwise though?

Do you know if they fit perfect without drilling?

I heard VX almost fit but need to drill the holes out a bit which is obviously illegal and dangerous.

AB
28th February 2011, 09:12 PM
Can't help with the new seat advice, however I'd recommend you don't install racing-style "hip huggers". These are fine in flat track racing cars where you need to stay centred in front of the wheel but are no good in a 4x4 as you need to be able to sway left and right on rough tracks. "Hip huggers" lock you into the seat and throw you around too much for off road use.

I just want cushiony goodness Plassy...lol....I agree with the hip huggers though!

big_fletch
28th February 2011, 09:13 PM
I would reckon most things would need modifying, I wonder how far gu seats would be off fitting??

YNOT
28th February 2011, 09:15 PM
Anything other than standard seats will need modifications/adaptors of some sort, and an engineers certificate to be legal.
Standard seats could be repadded and retrimmed by an automotive trimmer. Because this does not alter the frame of the seat it does not need to be engineered.

Tony

YNOT
28th February 2011, 09:17 PM
I would reckon most things would need modifying, I wonder how far gu seats would be off fitting??

I wonder how far GU seats would be off comfortable! .........and it would be easier to fit aftermarket seats.

Tony

big_fletch
28th February 2011, 09:19 PM
Haha I thought if they bolt straight in then it would be better than the gq ones, and easier..

Finly Owner
1st March 2011, 12:13 AM
Get a pair of original suspension seat basaes from MK deluxe model and put your seats on them.

growler2058
1st March 2011, 08:00 AM
I put vx commonhore seats in my troll and it was simply a case of swapping my gq tracks with the commy tracks, no drilling or any other mods required. The seat does sit closer to the door though

Bigrig
1st March 2011, 09:01 AM
I put vx commonhore seats in my troll and it was simply a case of swapping my gq tracks with the commy tracks, no drilling or any other mods required. The seat does sit closer to the door though

Sounds good - does it make it hard to get the sealtbelt in and out? That's what I had heard which was the only thing that put me off them.

boggy2006
1st March 2011, 10:18 AM
on my recent trip offroad, I ended up cutting out a couple of those kids foam play mats you can get (the ones which interlock together), slid the rear edge between the seat back and base to keep them in place. Saved my ass from permanent injury, but still painful to sit down 2 days later!

MQ MAD
1st March 2011, 11:12 AM
Got a set of 1986 Mazda 626 seats in an MQ
Bolt straight to the factory seat runners,bolt back to floor ala nissan
No mods, no holes
Are the seat runners in the GQ the same as MQ/MK ???

edit :
Fully adjustable seats these mazda ones
On the anal massage issue, nah cant help with that one

growler2058
1st March 2011, 02:02 PM
Sounds good - does it make it hard to get the sealtbelt in and out? That's what I had heard which was the only thing that put me off them.

Yeah mate that is a problem that i haven't overcome yet. But I think I just need to swap the recline winder to the other side of the seat, ie from rhs to lhs, there is a splined rod going through that looks like it can be done.

Don't know if that is a legal mod though.

Bigrig
1st March 2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah mate that is a problem that i haven't overcome yet. But I think I just need to swap the recline winder to the other side of the seat, ie from rhs to lhs, there is a splined rod going through that looks like it can be done.

Don't know if that is a legal mod though.

Problem is, I need the seats for my barge @rse, but then the seats that I want are too big ... Hmmmm ... I know I'm kidding myself about losing the barge @rse, so maybe time to turn it into a soft top!! LOL

growler2058
2nd March 2011, 08:52 AM
Problem is, I need the seats for my barge @rse, but then the seats that I want are too big ... Hmmmm ... I know I'm kidding myself about losing the barge @rse, so maybe time to turn it into a soft top!! LOL

Haahahah cut down doors like a Jeep (oopps sorry for swearing) let it all hang out brother

Bigrig
2nd March 2011, 09:35 AM
Haahahah cut down doors like a Jeep (oopps sorry for swearing) let it all hang out brother

That's the go!!! The missus has a jeep, so I might start making a mold!! LOL

Bob
2nd March 2011, 10:30 AM
Heh AB you could always sell and buy a GU ROFLMAO

Sorry about that just could not help myself

AB
2nd March 2011, 10:38 AM
Heh AB you could always sell and buy a GU ROFLMAO

Sorry about that just could not help myself

Why would I want to downgrade Bob.....lol

MQ MAD
2nd March 2011, 10:49 AM
"Why would i want to downgrade Bob ......lol"

Gotta be the comment of the week AB

Bob
2nd March 2011, 11:54 AM
Why would I want to downgrade Bob.....lol

Not bad but Lorraine (my Wife) says to eat more and get a Fat Bum LOL

AB
2nd March 2011, 12:02 PM
Not bad but Lorraine (my Wife) says to eat more and get a Fat Bum LOL

I eat like a champion mate but the bum stays boney and the gut gets bigger...lol

Rokkitt
3rd March 2011, 05:20 PM
I have read WRX sets fit with only minor modifications.
But those XR6 seats look very inviting - any mods required to get them in?

Clunk
4th March 2011, 12:55 AM
just tape up the end of a whooppeee cushion mate and strap it you butt............... even better by one of those blow up rubber rings that are used for hemeroids (sorry can't spell but you get the jist) hahahaha

HILLBILLY BOY
7th March 2011, 08:56 PM
I have a pair of Autotechnica seats in my patrol, they are comfy and used the factory rails and mounts, it just needed two pieces of 8mm flat joining the two halves of the base to mount the seat to. All up it was probably an hours work for each one, chucked on some ARB seat covers so it all looks factory.

Woof
7th March 2011, 09:29 PM
Come on Princess, toughen up a bit.........it's a GQ AB, if you want comfort buy a Landcrab and only drive on the black stuff mate.............................................. ...........http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

89GQ
8th March 2011, 01:30 PM
I put a pillow on the bum bit for my barge arse! Works a treat

AB
8th March 2011, 02:28 PM
Come on Princess, toughen up a bit.........it's a GQ AB, if you want comfort buy a Landcrab and only drive on the black stuff mate.............................................. ...........http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

Thanks Doggy...lol....I don't really mind but doing a 11 hour run up to a station on the SA border come Easter time is going to be interesting...lol

Black Rock
12th March 2011, 09:43 AM
Just put in the first ... L4, step out, and walk a bit it help for shore -tested :bananadancing:
lol

AB
12th March 2011, 09:44 AM
Just put in the first ... L4, step out, and walk a bit it help for shore -tested :bananadancing:
lol

I like your thinking...lol

Bigrig
12th March 2011, 09:46 AM
lol

Sorry mate - missed what you were using - what did you end up installing?

YNOT
12th March 2011, 09:49 AM

He's saying put it in low range first gear and get out and walk beside it for a while.

Tony

Bigrig
12th March 2011, 09:53 AM
He's saying put it in low range first gear and get out and walk beside it for a while.

Tony

Ahhhh ... I so slow ... Duh ... LOL

Thanks for enlightening me ...

Black Rock
12th March 2011, 09:58 AM

good pair of boots ha ha ha ha ha ha

Bigrig
12th March 2011, 10:07 AM
good pair of boots ha ha ha ha ha ha

LOL!! yep, took me a minute or ten ..

Black Rock
12th March 2011, 10:18 AM
LOL!! yep, took me a minute or ten ..

:cheers: like your tank - just for the record

moo_r32
26th April 2011, 12:32 PM
we put gu seats in my mates GQ... was not the most fun thing iv ever done.. thats for sure. custom rails were alot of work!! but he loves them now!!

yort
1st August 2011, 04:56 PM
:eck05: get in sit down and clench till :blowup:

troy

Patrol Tico
4th September 2011, 10:34 AM
Hely Tony these seats rock! I'm also spending some time on that departement!

ShuttleVan1
18th January 2012, 01:38 PM
just remove the seats and take them to an upholsteror, tell him to put more "cushioning" on them

Bogus
23rd January 2012, 04:36 PM
As well as comfort I am chasing more space is there any seats which would give me more leg room???

Bigrig
23rd January 2012, 04:40 PM
just remove the seats and take them to an upholsteror, tell him to put more "cushioning" on them

Annvid in Brisbane do this for the bases - $400 total for both front seats -I'm sure there'd be others out there also.

taslucas
23rd January 2012, 04:46 PM
I have a 91 Ti and the seats are a lot better than my mates GQs. Maybe it's worth tracking down some Ti seats? One mate even has a mav and swapped the seats cause they were cr@p. I would have thought the mavs would have comfy seats. He used mid 90's model magna. but had to take the middle console out lol......don't use magna seats!

AB
23rd January 2012, 07:02 PM
As well as comfort I am chasing more space is there any seats which would give me more leg room???

I have giraffe legs too mate and I find that putting the seat to the very back and angling the back rest away a bit helps to some degree.

thebeatjackson
19th February 2012, 11:28 PM
Personally I like Scheel seats but they are hard to come by, can still be bought new under the name Scheel-Mann.

Is there much to fitting the Xr6 seats? I'd love some new seats for my GQ too!

GreenGQ
2nd March 2012, 04:47 PM
I'd be interested to know if XR6 seats are an easy fit also.

stevo1971
5th March 2012, 03:43 AM
still got the original seats in mine...still good..

stevo1971
5th March 2012, 03:44 AM
yep, thats easy to do...i'm an upholsterer..

97_gq_lwb
5th March 2012, 02:13 PM
I just priced the drivers seat base foam for mine $270 i'm about to go out and see where the gold is in it must be at least a few grams of 24 ct somewhere in it for that.

Rogerthat
6th March 2012, 11:04 AM
A few people are asking but has anyone got any feedback on how easy the xr6 seats are to fit? Interference with seatbelt as per commy seats?

simy
6th March 2012, 11:32 PM
I fitted VY commodore seats without too much drama. took the base off drilled the threads of the VY seats out. Bolted a 25mm steel tube to one side and bolted the GQ seat bracket on. then fitted the seats in. took at the most 4 hours all up and the difference is amazing.

Bloodyaussie
9th March 2012, 06:39 PM
I just bought a Ti Patrol Gq and have been having some bad back pain, it has leather seats.
Yesterday I sat in the front passenger seat as my 18 month old son was driving and the seat was so comfy... I think I am going to just get the seat reworked???

cokeholic
9th March 2012, 09:44 PM
i have a GU leather seats set for sale front rear and rear rear seats drivers needs some repairing where ya slide ya bum in and out normal wear and tear drop me a line if anybody is interested

Bigrig
9th March 2012, 10:56 PM
i have a GU leather seats set for sale front rear and rear rear seats drivers needs some repairing where ya slide ya bum in and out normal wear and tear drop me a line if anybody is interested

Message sent mate!!

belzi82
9th March 2012, 10:58 PM
Buy a GU = Comfy seats

Clunk
9th March 2012, 11:17 PM
Buy a GU = Comfy seats

My brother has a GU and my seats are comfier the those

simy
9th March 2012, 11:20 PM
Yesterday I sat in the front passenger seat as my 18 month old son was driving and the seat was so comfy... I think I am going to just get the seat reworked???

your 18 month old son was driving, teaching him early hey?:driving2:

HammerBuilder
12th March 2012, 10:53 PM

Tony

As for your comments about saving your ass and romantically punishing your ass...............you're on your own there!

So YNOT who's GQ are these xr6 seats in & how hard easy to fit as many people have asked but still no reply

Cheers but answers are always handy

gf0012-aust
17th March 2012, 11:02 PM
A few people are asking but has anyone got any feedback on how easy the xr6 seats are to fit? Interference with seatbelt as per commy seats?

there's a few blokes on patrol4x4 that have done it. GQShayne etc... IIRC there are happy snaps of the job.

someone also put in Honda CRV's as well as the usual crapadore VN-VY's

Rogerthat
20th March 2012, 06:41 PM
yeah cheers, I'm sure it's been done but patrol4x4 still seems under attack by some virus which is preventing me from accessing the site - was hoping someone here might have a happy snap or 2? sitting just outside my top 3 mods on to do list currently so i have a couple months to sort it out.

97_gq_lwb
20th March 2012, 07:26 PM
I seen supercheap has saas seats on special for $189 each they looked pretty good to me considering them myself.

Bloodyaussie
22nd March 2012, 09:28 AM
your 18 month old son was driving, teaching him early hey?:driving2:

Yes start them young.. or more to the case keep him happy!!!!!!

I drove for 5 hours yesterday and am in so much pain in my back I have to do something soon.
I am a landscape gardener and this is not helping.
I sat in my neighbours GU and he has the leather seats with electric doo dads and it is not that comfy at all??