PDA

View Full Version : GME TX-3520S Install in GQ

Majestic
21st October 2014, 03:11 PM
Hey all I hope this is the right section to post this. I'd thought I would share my UHF install, the only real DIY I have done on my GQ though I do have many more ideas I want to do.

I bought a GME TX-3520S UHF on ebay, after some research it was a toss up with Uniden and GME and I went GME as it's Australian and I heard nothing but good things about them. I bought my Patrol a year ago and it still had an antenna (something I plan on replacing soon anyway as it's had a hard life and looks like a cheapy) and it was clear from a couple of holes in my dash support that the previous owner had one installed and removed it. Hey we all do it right?

I went with the TX-3520S for the remote head. Having driven Skylines for the past 4 odd years and a Daihatsui Feroza II for 7 before that the one thing I missed about my old Maverick was the space if offered in storage in the cabin. I wasn't willing to waste what my Patrol offered me. The obvious spot was under the radio, or above it (if I moved the stereo down), but I wanted to keep the UHF up high in case I got water in the cabin. The higher it was the less likely of water damage.

Being a non-smoker, I had little use for the ash tray. In the past when I was single I would use the tray to store loose change, great when grabbing a drink or ice-cream from Macca's. However since I met my wife, and she having kids from another relationship I found that $40 of silver in the tray often got ransacked for school excursions, I bet the school hated the $10 in 5c pieces I once gave them. So with some measurements out came the ash tray and holder and in with the head of the TX-3520S. I mounted the base unit on the opposite side of the where the previous owner had, on the left hand side of the wheel in the steel support frame.

The pictures show all. Click on them for a larger view.

It was a bit fiddly to get it in, I also had to use several washers to get it to sit to my liking.

I hate drilling holes into Vehicles, especially the dash but sometimes you just have to. The original holes drilled by the last owner were too low. I still need to get some end cap nuts to replace the current ones and shorten the bolts to avoid them digging into my knee. However they are far enough away that the likelihood of that happening is pretty remote.

I mounted it in such a way that I still have access to the antenna, power, rear mic and external speaker ports easily without needing to remove the unit. Removing the unit unfortunately requires me to unbolt the entire frame. But how often does one need to remove it?

Here is how I mounted the mic. I wanted it accessible to me without too much effort but also easily enough to pick up and give to the passenger while I am driving.

Anyone who knows me well will know I hate drilling holes into the dash of a car, hell I hate drilling holes in vehicles period. So with this install I tried my best to avoid anything permanent, holes in the dash can hurt the re-sale of a vehicle. So I used the center dash mounting screw to mount my mic clip. I think it worked out very well.

Here is a close up of how I mounted it in the center dash, a spot formerly taken up by the ash tray.

I had to do some cutting and filing into the center dash right where the ash tray used to be. Being that I am in the country and it's a 4WD I wasn't going to trust double sided tape and so I had to do some permanent modifications that I hate doing. Still if I do put the ash tray back in for re-selling purposes the cuts I have done will be hidden when the ash tray is in.

You'll notice the switches are not connected, I used some of the blanks I had from my old Maverick to fill up gabs. I plan to relocate my driving light switch down to one of those spots at a later date.

With mounting the unit in the ash tray I had a spot left over where the old cassette player used to be. That thing is ugly and I wasn't going to leave it there like the previous owner did. So I went onto ebay and bought a din pocket. It came from Japan and the bugger took 2 weeks before even sending it, so I was waiting over a month for it. It arrived in the end and fitted well, however I saw one the other day at Super Cheap for the same price. Still it's the perfect place for my wallet or my wife's phone, or even both. Leaves the center console for more important things like cold drinks. :D

With the UHF installed I think it looks like it belongs. I am still considering making up a plastic face plate to go around the head unit to clean it up a bit. It did pop out one of the switches when I mounted it, I plan to relocate that switch soon.

Don't mind the missing clock, I have plans to put something in there to fill that hole up. It's probably my next DIY project for the Patrol. Won't be that useful but both GQ clocks I have are too far gone.

MonsterGQ
26th December 2014, 12:52 PM
Very nice install mate, I'm putting a new headunit and one of those dash pockets in my gq today. I'm planning on putting my uhf in the same place as you, I like the idea of using the original dash screw to hold the mic good idea :)

Majestic
28th December 2014, 11:19 AM
Very nice install mate, I'm putting a new headunit and one of those dash pockets in my gq today. I'm planning on putting my uhf in the same place as you, I like the idea of using the original dash screw to hold the mic good idea :)

Thanks mate, seemed like the best spot for me. I hate screwing holes in the dash so utilising the original screw hole was ideal for me and it doesn't get in the way. The hunt fits in very well there. Almost made to fit. :D

HuskyInAuz
28th December 2014, 09:42 PM
I have my mic about in about the same position, my only complaint is my left leg keeps hitting it whilst driving.

Agronaught
28th December 2014, 10:01 PM
I'm ordering some of these to hang the mic from the mirrir when in use.

http://www.gearkeeper.com/

Majestic
29th December 2014, 02:12 PM
I have my mic about in about the same position, my only complaint is my left leg keeps hitting it whilst driving.

I haven't had that issue myself, maybe I am shorter. :biggrin: