PDA

View Full Version : Australian Maps Navigation [TTQV]

Nicki & Chris
18th October 2014, 05:34 PM
Hello,

in europe we sail with Panasonic CF19 and TTQV, question someone there any Australian maps calibrated to TTQV ?

Thank

the evil twin
18th October 2014, 06:42 PM
Hiya,

Quo Vadis is not very popular here (read that as probably less than 5% of people will even have heard of it)

OziExplorer is easily the most widely used of the Raster Mapping software in Aus and there are Terrabytes of maps available that are pre-formatted in Ozi or GPX for purchase or in some cases free.
Obviously if you can get them from fellow forum members they will also be free or cheap as chips.

HEMA is one of the major commercial suppliers of raster maps so to give you an idea what is available
http://www.hemamaps.com.au/
Auslig, the Government body issue free 1:25,000 maps geo referencedto Ozi but they are fairly old in many cases and pure topographic.

Therefore you have two choices. You can buy OziExplorer which will run perfectly on your Toughbook or you can convert the map files from OziExplorer to QV.

OziExplorer will import Quo Vadis directly but not sure if QV will import OziEplorer .map files

I think therefore it is a double process as OziExplorer will easily convert to GPX then you may need a program to convert GPX to QV
I did find this link which may help you in your research.
http://forum.quovadis-gps.com/45701-converter-oziexplorer-format-map-to-touratech.html

Of course if you do find any files already in geo referenced in GPX (and a lot are) that helps.

A third option I just thought of is maybe find some maps of Aus from a supplier in Europe where TTQV is much more popular.

A fourth might be to simply purchase a 7 inch navigator preloaded with OziExplorer and the maps from Ebay Australia or a second hand jobbie from someone here.
If you are really lucky someone may even loan you one for your visit

Nicki & Chris
18th October 2014, 09:54 PM
brill in fact we use ttqv coz i find it easier to import files and change maps etc but we do have an CE version of ozi (Window CE Tablet) so i ll have a look at getting ozi maps and if i can t manage to convert them then i ll use my version of ozi.

the evil twin
19th October 2014, 12:22 AM
brill in fact we use ttqv coz i find it easier to import files and change maps etc but we do have an old version of ozi so i ll have a look at getting ozi maps and if i can t manage to convert them then i ll use my old version of ozi.

That is excellent, even an old version of Ozi is fine and if you still have the key.
I am pretty sure you can update to the latest version for free.
You will need to reenter the key so don't upgrade if you have lost it.

If you have Ozi running on your Toughbook then there will be heaps of maps readily available for you.

Nicki & Chris
23rd October 2014, 04:52 PM
I found a pack compatible card for TTQV and operation restarted my tablet with OZI CE.
For cards good software
http://www.zubak.sk/terraincognita/

GQ TANK
28th October 2014, 06:27 PM
You may need the PC version as the ce and andriod versions dont have all the features

Nicki & Chris
17th November 2014, 01:05 AM
I think that I'll take the PC (With TTQV) and android tablet with OZI and Google Maps for city navigation.

.... I long to see your country

the evil twin
17th November 2014, 12:24 PM
I think that I'll take the PC (With TTQV) and android tablet with OZI and Google Maps for city navigation.

.... I long to see your country

Well, I'm biased, but I think it is a pretty awesome place :-)