PDA

View Full Version : Cracks on Rims.

Mark
1st July 2010, 04:42 PM
I just noticed the other day my cooper rims have a few cracks.

In fact 2 of the rims have cracks and the tyre inside had a split all the way up the middle.

Anyone else seen this?

Also, had a chat to my mechanic about this whole Cooper story the other day and apparently some people have put through claims for this whole soft compound conspiracy floating around the web.

Apparently you can get back the percentage of how much tread is left.

One guy "apparently" got back $90 (woopy doo) as he had bugger all tread left but could be worth investigating if anyones having issues.

I just bought a set of BF's off Ebay last week. Back to the ol BF's!

patch697
1st July 2010, 11:09 PM
I don't like the sound of that mate? I sure am glad your replacing them & lets face it you won't go to far wrong with BF's.

Cheers
Paul

Mark
2nd July 2010, 12:49 PM
No not at all mate.

Just spoke to the local tyrepower guys, apparently the rep for Coopers is seeing two other people next week about this same issue and i have booked him in to see my tyres.

It'll be interesting to see what he says about this.

Ill let you all know what happens.

patch697
2nd July 2010, 01:08 PM
No not at all mate.

Just spoke to the local tyrepower guys, apparently the rep for Coopers is seeing two other people next week about this same issue and i have booked him to see my tyres.

Cheers Mark I will be interested to know the outcome of this myself.

Paul

BTW hows those DIY mods coming along? are you having any luck? & don't forget the pics. Cheers Mate

Mark
2nd July 2010, 09:00 PM
Mate been flat out like a mad man.

Working like a dog but ill get on to it soon. Need to finish some projects already started as well. :)

I'll let ya's know how i go though.

patch697
2nd July 2010, 09:50 PM
Cheers Mate
Paul

Rossco
2nd July 2010, 10:40 PM
Good to hear you've gone back to the BF's mark They've always done me well.
Had a set of ST's on a work truck and have never had so many flats on any other brand of tyre.
Seems funny how the only good things I have heard about them comes from reps, whereas when you talk to people who use them the general feeling is pretty piss poor!

Chris60
2nd July 2010, 10:43 PM
No not at all mate.

Just spoke to the local tyrepower guys, apparently the rep for Coopers is seeing two other people next week about this same issue and i have booked him in to see my tyres.

Interesting news mate, please let us know how you go with this guy.

Mark
6th July 2010, 04:44 PM
Well the plot thickens.

Still havent seen the rep from Coopers yet but I just booked the misses GU wagon in for a service today and my mechanic just found a crack on her rim as well.

Front LH wheel.

Interesting.

If anyone else has coopers here have a good look at your rims and see if there's any cracks.

Would be interesting to see if anyone has cracks....Cheers

patch697
6th July 2010, 09:10 PM
Well the plot thickens.

Still havent seen the rep from Coopers yet but I just booked the misses GU wagon in for a service today and my mechanic just found a crack on her rim as well.

Front LH wheel.

Interesting.

If anyone else has coopers here have a good look at your rims and see if there's any cracks.

Would be interesting to see if anyone has cracks....Cheers

Its sounding more & more like its time for a set of sunnys Mate?
I know they aren't as pretty as alloys but thay don't crack real easy either

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
6th July 2010, 11:31 PM
It's not a problem for my split rims.... They're already cracked.

Sorry guys, I understand this is not a funny thread.

Ross

DX grunt
6th July 2010, 11:35 PM
A bit of troubleshooting here.....

Has anybody not been off road and the rims have cracked, or have they 'appeared' after you've been off road?

Would tyre pressure have anything to do with it? Is there a max pressure the rims will handle??

Mark
7th July 2010, 09:05 AM
A bit of troubleshooting here.....

Has anybody not been off road and the rims have cracked, or have they 'appeared' after you've been off road?

Would tyre pressure have anything to do with it? Is there a max pressure the rims will handle??

The wifes GU which now has a crack has not been off road at all.

We live on a dirt road for about a km or so but never carried any weight or 4wding.

That's what raised my alarm bells.

I'll see what the Cooper Rep says. He is supposed to call me this week, (sometime???)

DX grunt
7th July 2010, 06:56 PM

We live on a dirt road for about a km or so but never carried any weight or 4wding.

I'll see what the Cooper Rep says. He is supposed to call me this week, (sometime???)

Get plenty of close up pics and start a paperwork trail of the photo's, phone calls ect. Even down to the K's you've travelled, road surface conditions. K's travelled since putting the new rims on - hope u keep a diary too.

The word for today is 'Loopholes'

It's hard work, but you'll thank yourself later.

Take care out there.

Ross

Muzza
11th July 2010, 06:31 PM

How did you go with this Mark?

My mate has coopers and im sure he would love to hear about this...lol

Mark
12th July 2010, 12:11 PM
Well this whole story is just pointless.

Spoke to the Cooper reps and you can get money back based on what wear is left versus kilometres done but they only give you a voucher to buy more Cooper Tyres which I have no intrest in going down this path again.

Anyways, you would prob get back 30 bucks or something like that so its not worth the troube guys.

patch697
12th July 2010, 12:55 PM
Well this whole story is just pointless.

Spoke to the Cooper reps and you can get money back based on what wear is left versus kilometres done but they only give you a voucher to buy more Cooper Tyres which I have no intrest in going down this path again.

Anyways, you would prob get back 30 bucks or something like that so its not worth the trouble guys.

Yep that would be bloody right & thay say there supposed to be one of the best...Hmmmm

Cheers
Paul

Mark
12th July 2010, 04:23 PM
Sorry to drag on with this thread guys.

Another rep from Coopers just called me and this is now what im entitled to.

45% off 2 new tyres as the 2 front tyres (1 rim had crack and tyres wore down quickly)

25% off 2 new tyres as the rear had worn down and one cracked rim but he did mention that I wasnt going to get back much on the rear with the amount of weight ive been carrying...haha...oops!

So i stand corrected, it could dfeinatly be worth while for any of you guys on Coopers to check them out and get some new ones.

DX grunt
12th July 2010, 04:37 PM
Sorry to drag on with this thread guys.

Another rep from Coopers just called me and this is now what im entitled to.

45% off 2 new tyres as the 2 front tyres (1 rim had crack and tyres wore down quickly)

25% off 2 new tyres as the rear had worn down and one cracked rim but he did mention that I wasnt going to get back much on the rear with the amount of weight ive been carrying...haha...oops!

So i stand corrected, it could dfeinatly be worth while for any of you guys on Coopers to check them out and get some new ones.

Very encouraging Mark. It's obviously a case by case decision. You still gunna go with Coopers or not?

Ps. Congratulations on making Senior Member status (100 threads) - well done

Mark
12th July 2010, 04:39 PM
Very encouraging Mark. It's obviously a case by case decision. You still gunna go with Coopers or not?

Look it was very tempting...haha

But, no Ross. I already bought second hand BF's off Ebay so ill stick with that for a while.

My mate is need of some Coopers for road use so ill look after him with the vouchars so atleast there is no wasted time and effort.

He can buy me some beer or something...haha

patch697
12th July 2010, 07:35 PM
2 different ppl 2 different answers? Starting to sound a lot like Telstra....lol

Im glad you got some sort of compo for all your trouble, Its certainly better than nothing & your mates a lucky bloke to have a mate such us yourself.

Good onya

Cheers
Paul

justrocho
25th November 2010, 11:23 PM
Its sounding more & more like its time for a set of sunnys Mate?
I know they aren't as pretty as alloys but thay don't crack real easy either

Cheers
Paul

i like alloys for looking at but would never go offroad with them