PDA

View Full Version : darwin perth february 2014

Nicki & Chris
16th October 2014, 03:44 AM
hi, first attempt to do a planning wasn t really successful Katherine Hot Springs closed - bungle bungle closed - gibbs river road closed ivanhoe crossing closed doen t know about Karijini yet . Bang Head
So we have decided to change plans and to go by Elsey Park, Alice Springs then take a hook to the left through Ayers Rock upto Warburton and then hanger right and cut across country (we like cutting off the angles) and heading up towards Newman.
We know that this is a pretty hot time of the year, we had 50° in Morocco a couple of years ago and survived.
Got any suggestions or advice
We re looking for maps that we can put on our laptop that has TTQV ...

Nicki & Chris
16th October 2014, 04:00 AM
2015 not 2014

threedogs
16th October 2014, 09:30 AM
It really is the wrong time to travel the Outback in the summer time,
the Monsoons are in Darwin and desert temps can reach mid to high 40's C
May to October is an ideal time with temps right down,
And yes check to see the roads you're travelling on are open and what if any permits are required

4bye4
16th October 2014, 10:42 AM
Warburton and then hanger right and cut across country (we like cutting off the angles) and heading up towards Newman.
I think you need a permit for Warburton - not sure. I wouldn't even take my Patrol from Warburton to Newman in Feb unless there was no possible alternative. Thats killer country at that time of year. If you really have to go that way take plenty of extra water and get a sat phone and radio. EPIRB would be a good idea too.

happygu
16th October 2014, 10:54 AM
Trouble isn't so much the heat when all is going well ( and it is super hot ), but the flooding and road closures that go along with it...... or the possibility of breakdown / stranding, when there is not as much traffic around.

I lived in the Northern Territory for 3 years, and we all survived the heat in summer, but the unpredictability of the rain and the large volumes of water make most unsealed roads impassable.

Better off looking at the East Coast of Australia for February, and your holiday will be easier to plan. Try May onwards for the top end and interior - still hot, but more stable weather patterns.

the evil twin
16th October 2014, 12:17 PM
hi, first attempt to do a planning wasn t really successful Katherine Hot Springs closed - bungle bungle closed - gibbs river road closed ivanhoe crossing closed doen t know about Karijini yet . Bang Head
So we have decided to change plans and to go by Elsey Park, Alice Springs then take a hook to the left through Ayers Rock upto Warburton and then hanger right and cut across country (we like cutting off the angles) and heading up towards Newman.
We know that this is a pretty hot time of the year, we had 50° in Morocco a couple of years ago and survived.
Got any suggestions or advice
We re looking for maps that we can put on our laptop that has TTQV ...

1. After Alice or Yulara you will need permits to access the roads across aboriginal land.
2. Not all roads on maps are open to travel IE many are aboriginal busines roads and closed permanently to tourists.
3. There is no way you will be allowed to cut across country IE you cannot leave the road or camp anywhere other than the designated town/roadhouse/camping grounds
4. Whose vehicle are you using? If it is a hire car or loaner you will need to check if they allow you onto the gravel roads and tracks west of Yulara to Docker River and Warburton or across to Kintore and Kiwirrkurra to Newman (eventually).
5. Most of the central tourist areas will be closed or have restricted access due to heat IE the Uluru climb, the Kings Canyon Rim Walk etc

Having just returned from out that way if I were you and you are set upon that route and can get the Permits I would travel from Alice to Yulara (Uluru and Kata Juta) then north to the McDonnel Ranges (Kings Canyon and the Gorges) then get a Permit to travel across to Newman via Kintore.

Alternatively you can get the permits to travel the Great Central Road from Yulara thru Docker River, Warburton and Warrakurna (Giles) to Tjukayirla.
Just after Tjukayirla depending on Permits and Road Closures you can;
Turn right and head up the David Carnegie Track then the Talawanna Track to Newman or
Turn right and head up the David Carnegie Track then the left on the Gunbarrel to Wiluna or
Stay on the Great Central to Laverton then across to the Great Northern Hwy (Bitumen)

In Feb I would not even consider travelling out there without any two of either an EPIRB, HF Radio, Sat Phone.
I also would not do it as a single vehicle as there will be very little other traffic out there that time of year

Without any disrespect I need to mention that you need to be cognisant that you will be crossing several deserts one of which is almost the size of Morocco on it's own, the tracks that do exist are "Vehicle Killers" and support in case of an emergency can take a couple of days to get to you.

Many visitors to Australia have done worse terrain in their travels and I totally respect that however it is the vast distances and sparse population centres or support that catch them out.

Nicki & Chris
16th October 2014, 05:08 PM
ok guys thanks for your help I think we re gonna stick to the original plan. Thing is that planes are reserved coz this is the only time of year when we can get rid of the kids. Didn t realize that your needed permission for certain roads and don t feel like dying this year it s not on my planning lol So we ll be cool and take the victoria and great northern up to port hedland then see wot we can do from there.

Stropp
16th October 2014, 05:25 PM
hi mate, broome is worth a stop, very touristy and expensive but worth a look and eighty mile beach is absolutely worth dropping into, coral bay also below karratha is very nice, karrajini should be open but it will be in the 40 deg celcius that time of year as will the rest of your trip, take heaps of water and make sure you have a mobile phone with telstra as a minimum in case of trouble, telstra has a better mobile coverage thatn any other carrier but it will not have coverage in a lot of the roads you are travelling.

4bye4
16th October 2014, 05:26 PM
Safest way IMO.

the evil twin
16th October 2014, 06:00 PM
ok guys thanks for your help I think we re gonna stick to the original plan. Thing is that planes are reserved coz this is the only time of year when we can get rid of the kids. Didn t realize that your needed permission for certain roads and don t feel like dying this year it s not on my planning lol So we ll be cool and take the victoria and great northern up to port hedland then see wot we can do from there.

No worries.

If you travel from Yulara in the N.T. to Laverton in W.A. via Yulara and the Great Central road you will only need one set of two permits.
The Permits will get you from Docker River to Laverton via;
Warakurna (population 200, fuel available), may I recommend the tour of the Meteorological Station, local Art Gallery and museum pieces
Warburton (population 500, fuel available), cheap, clean, secure camping at the roadhouse
Tjukayirla (population 2, fuel available), if you aren't camping here then at least stop for a Tjukaburger, they are awesome.
Cosmo Newberry (population 50, fuel available) only needed if you cannot make Laverton where the bitumen starts

Here is a link to the online permit site. Note that there are expiry time limits so don't apply too soon
http://www.outbackway.org.au/get-permits.html
You need two permits IE the NT and the WA ones;
NT is the Yulara to WA/NT Border via Docker River and
WA is the WA Great Central Road (look under Goldfields in the permit form)

The road itself is awfully corrugated around Docker River but fair to good from the Border to Laverton.
Budget on AUD 2:50 a litre for fuel

May I also suggest that if time and budget permit you travel to Yulara via Namitjira Drive and the Macdonnell Ranges and look at the Gorges or via LarapintadDrive to Hermansburg to see Palm Valley (awesome).
Then obtain a Meereenie Loop Road Permit (easy to get on the spot) to use Larapinta Drive to Gosses Bluff and Kings Canyon then Luritja Road to pick up the Lasseter Hwy to Yulara

If you can't do the Macdonnells and come down the Stuart Hwy to the Lasseter Hwy junction to get to Yulara may I suggest
Rainbow Valley is worth a look but early or late in the day to get the best pic's
Henbury Meteorite Craters if that interests you as well

DX grunt
16th October 2014, 06:32 PM
I've saved this thread in my favourites. Thanks ET for doing all the 'homework'. lol

Take care and enjoy your trip, wherever you decide to go.

Rossco

Nicki & Chris
16th October 2014, 07:21 PM
thanks a lot for all this information gonna get my brain into gear and try to find out wot s best. when you rent a truck it s not the same as having your own stuff.
for the telephone i v already seen that there s a telstra shop near our hotel upon arrival. need for phoning and to put into laptop you never know google maps might become one of my best friends.
Got a couple of maps from my sister who lives in Fremantle so with all that no problem

NP99
16th October 2014, 07:27 PM
With all the above good advice, plan and prepare well. It's all hostile when things go belly up out there. Enjoy your trip.

the evil twin
16th October 2014, 08:14 PM
thanks a lot for all this information gonna get my brain into gear and try to find out wot s best. when you rent a truck it s not the same as having your own stuff.
for the telephone i v already seen that there s a telstra shop near our hotel upon arrival. need for phoning and to put into laptop you never know google maps might become one of my best friends.
Got a couple of maps from my sister who lives in Fremantle so with all that no problem

If you are renting a truck it is up to you if you tell them you want to travel the Great Central Road
Some companies will be OK with it and some won't so play it close to your chest.
You only need 4WD if it rains but you do need the higher clearance and tougher suspension is needed.

Telstra have the best coverage of NT, SA and WA.
But... that is because the other companies have virtually zero outside the cap cities or major towns
To give you an idea of coverage... in the 2,000 odd kilometres after you leave Alice Springs to Laverton you will have about 3 or 4 patches of Telstra and zero of anyone else unless that carrier is using the Telstra Cellular Network
Hermansburg is good for about 20 K's
Erldunda about 5 K's
Yulara about 20 K's
Warburton about 5 K's

Nicki & Chris
6th January 2015, 08:57 PM
so after all the good advice we got changed plans. still flying into Darwin getting over jetlag for 2 days then flight down to Alice Springs where we re picking up ou 4wd rented from Britz so either a Toy Land Cruiser or a VW Amarok.
alice Springs, Yulura, Coober Pedy, when we get to around Glendambo turn right towards Kingoonya then straight south through the lake with ou without water in. carry on to Caduna and Fitzgerald Park, Wave Rock then try to get to Pinjarra to see family before finishing in Fremantle.
Does that sound more sensible for you guys instead of going up north.
If you have any suggestions about places to stop off on the way all is welcome
only 21 sleeps before leaving

the evil twin
6th January 2015, 10:06 PM
so after all the good advice we got changed plans. still flying into Darwin getting over jetlag for 2 days then flight down to Alice Springs where we re picking up ou 4wd rented from Britz so either a Toy Land Cruiser or a VW Amarok.
alice Springs, Yulura, Coober Pedy, when we get to around Glendambo turn right towards Kingoonya then straight south through the lake with ou without water in. carry on to Caduna and Fitzgerald Park, Wave Rock then try to get to Pinjarra to see family before finishing in Fremantle.
Does that sound more sensible for you guys instead of going up north.
If you have any suggestions about places to stop off on the way all is welcome
only 21 sleeps before leaving

Sounds quite sensible, the first of the big wet season floods have just started up in the Kimberley.
Won't be long before all but the major highways are affected
Huge Bush fires in South Australia and it was 44 degrees here in Perth yest.

Dunno how much time you have but after getting the car I would leave Alice and do the West McDonnells then the Meereenie Loop Road to Kings Canyon. If you are early and lucky the rim walk may be open (they close it if it is too hot, same as Uluru climb).
Take Luritja Road to get to Yulara for Uluru and Kata Juta.
On the way down the Stuart Highway to Coober Pedy you can turn off at Cadney Park and do the Painted Desert then pick up the Oodnadatta Track to get to Coober Pedy.

Don't turn off at Glendambo with checking the road conditions thru Lake Gairdner National Park with the locals.
If the tracks are suss then stay on the highway and head lower down to Port Augusta

There are heaps and heaps of awesome places to see along the Coast and the Fitzgerald.
Local tourist mobs will be the best source of info, just google the towns and look for the visitor info tabs on their websites

happygu
7th January 2015, 12:17 AM
Sounds quite sensible, the first of the big wet season floods have just started up in the Kimberley.
Won't be long before all but the major highways are affected
Huge Bush fires in South Australia and it was 44 degrees here in Perth yest.

Dunno how much time you have but after getting the car I would leave Alice and do the West McDonnells then the Meereenie Loop Road to Kings Canyon. If you are early and lucky the rim walk may be open (they close it if it is too hot, same as Uluru climb).
Take Luritja Road to get to Yulara for Uluru and Kata Juta.
On the way down the Stuart Highway to Coober Pedy you can turn off at Cadney Park and do the Painted Desert then pick up the Oodnadatta Track to get to Coober Pedy.

Don't turn off at Glendambo with checking the road conditions thru Lake Gairdner National Park with the locals.
If the tracks are suss then stay on the highway and head lower down to Port Augusta

There are heaps and heaps of awesome places to see along the Coast and the Fitzgerald.
Local tourist mobs will be the best source of info, just google the towns and look for the visitor info tabs on their websites

I agree with ET ( again ), and think that you should try and visit these spots on the way down the Stuart highway, as the highway drive can be long and tedious. Kings Canyon is my favourite place in the southern end of the Territory, that and Ruby Gap, Redbank Gorge, Chambers Pillar, and Boggy Hole, but depending on time constraints, Ruby Gap is a days drive out and back to the Eastern MacDonnell Ranges, and if you aren't staying out there, and spending some time, you may not see it the same way.

Rainbow Valley is 70 Klms straight down the Highway from Alice, with an additional short drive to the left down a side track, and worth a look, but you will miss this if you do the Meereenie Loop Drive. Chambers Pillar is a fair chunk further in to the southeast from there ( different access road - check your maps for distances )

On the Meereenie Loop, Redbank Gorge is on the way, so you can see it and try and swim in the waterhole ... even though it will be 40 degrees outside .... Ellery Big Hole is great for a swim too, and the temperature is a bit more agreeable to the human body. Boggy Hole is only worth going to if you stay out there, and is part way along the Meereenie Loop Drive and a fair drive in and I would be hesitant on going out there solo in the middle of summer. Palm Valley is also on the way, a better prospect for you, and it is awesome too ... there are a couple of very soft sand sections, which will be harder in the summer heat, so if you add this to your plans, I would get there and wait in the shade for someone to tag along with .... once you are through the sand sections the rest is just rough track. Rim Walk at Kings Canyon is spectacular, but the full walk will take you around 4 hours, so start early to escape the heat.

If you want to see Lake Eyre, the Oodnadatta Track although dirt is like a massive highway - the turnoff from William Creek is different though - a lot rougher and tracklike. You can see Lake Eyre straight off the Oodnadatta around the southern end of the lake - you will see a bend in the road towards Marree on the map where the road goes close to the lake - it is only then a short walk on the lake surface from there. Coward Springs is a great campground close to there too.....

There is a bit of info for you to contemplate

Nicki & Chris
7th January 2015, 08:07 PM
Brill good job i m not working today think i m gonna spend my time looking at where all these places are on the map lol and if they fit into our planning and if not we ll find time anyway

Nicki & Chris
4th March 2015, 06:07 PM
Here we are back in France, Some pictures of our travels ... Thanks all for your advice and a question comes back when ???

https://plus.google.com/117603591873980225402/posts/LwVh2xxNtd9?gpinv=AMIXal9BRlu_n8ZBEpos3NQqp5s7LfrW Li-m_XnrS829_MJQSER2bKyoEvAOxXfBu9q8CtU-YJAby7Asqwf3Q4M54QQwliLYzRMUx-x5de4q8o0AhUbNR4E&cfem=1&pid=6119287810024126818&oid=117603591873980225402

TPC
4th March 2015, 06:36 PM
They are great photos, looks like you had a really good trip.
Thank you for sharing.

the evil twin
4th March 2015, 09:10 PM
Yes, thanks heaps for the share.
So many people don't bother so it is great to see you doing so.

Avo
4th March 2015, 10:00 PM
awesome photo's..once again thanks for sharing...

Clunk
4th March 2015, 11:19 PM
brilliant photos, thanks again for sharing

Nicki & Chris
5th March 2015, 01:37 AM
Thanks, but the photos are easy to make when the country is beautiful !!

threedogs
5th March 2015, 01:32 PM
thanks for sharing ,hope that wasnt a tow ball recovery on the beach,
Go figure not a drop of rain in sight.
Like the big red Boomer 183cm plus

4bye4
5th March 2015, 01:44 PM
Great photos. Thank you. Glad everything went well.