PDA

View Full Version : first offroading in the Lerderderg forest

boggy2006
27th February 2011, 07:56 PM
hi,

headed over to Bacchus Marsh this morning to pick up a roof rack from ebay. Decided whilst I was over that way to pop into Lerderderg forest. A bit nervous about going by myself, but there's usually others around. Packed everything in the Patrol I could think of; my entire tool kit, recovery kit, recovery tracks, water, food, sleeping bag....just in case I was there for a while! Anyway, some great tracks around there, some serious climbs and seriously deep ruts in places. Here are a few pics, as always they don't do justice to just how steep some of the climbs were! Don't worry about me standing near the winch cable, I had driven forward to release the tension in it and no, the Patrol wasn't stuck! I was just doing the first wind of the cable onto the winch drum, which needed to be done under tension. I did however learn about some tools I had missing from my kit....the pic with the logs in the river, a bit further up the track, the ruts were so deep that a Disco had popped the tyre off the rim (I came down that way earlier and the ruts were seriously deep). I turned around and went back up the slope from the river crossing, as they were digging it out (group of 3 Discos), but it reminded my that I need some tyre levers! I have to say, the traction from the Insa Turbo special track tyres was absolutely outstanding, in mud, rock, anything, awesome (just have to wear earplugs on the road!).

Oh yes, learnt something else too....after 7 hours in the Patrol, the metal frame supporting the seat finally works its way into your bum, I ended up cutting out a couple of sheets of foam (took everything!) to cushion it a bit!

big_fletch
27th February 2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the writeup and great pics mate, make sure you keep em coming.. Yout troll looks tough in those photo's
Looks like you had a great day out, once you have a second or third car out there you will probably find you will try most things that are thrown at you lol..

Woof
27th February 2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your report mate, looks like there is some great country there to play in, love those tyres.

DX grunt
27th February 2011, 09:00 PM
Nice pics. Well done.

Reminds me to try my winch cable out under load too.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

da' maverick
27th February 2011, 09:00 PM
interesting to hear some feed back on those tyres. are they remoulds? . AB said a similar thing about his seat on the coopers creek trip.
nice work

boggy2006
27th February 2011, 09:55 PM
G'day Boggy, I know that crossing you're talking about. I've had a solo heart in the mouth moment down there myself. Good part of the world isn't it? Thanks for the pics and maybe we'll organise a forum trip out there some time.

Cheers mate.

Yeah, coming down wasn't too bad, apart from leaning over 45 degrees with wheels in the ruts (sorry couldn't get a photo at the time!), but glad the Disco was blocking the way going back up as it looked a bit of a challenge!

Would be great to have a forum trip out there, I think AB could be interested too. Seems they close those tracks from around mid June so would be good to get out there again before then. I only did the tracks to the east side, but there are loads more along the north edge too.

YNOT
27th February 2011, 09:58 PM
interesting to hear some feed back on those tyres. are they remoulds? . AB said a similar thing about his seat on the coopers creek trip.
nice work

Check this thread for more info on the tyres; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2605-my-GQ-with-33-quot-muddies-fitted

Tony

boggy2006
27th February 2011, 09:58 PM
yeah, remolds. Can't see any chunks out of them yet, despite a steep rocky hill climb and lots of srabbling for traction. I haven't got the energy to take them off tonight, so will have to drive to work with them on tomorrow, time to get the earplugs out!

Finly Owner
27th February 2011, 10:31 PM
great photos and glad you came out other end.

AB
28th February 2011, 09:43 AM
Great photos mate, looks like a great spot!

I know what you mean about the seats...lol...I'm working on something soon!!!

Bob
28th February 2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the Report and Pics mate. Love Pics.

Dhuck
28th February 2011, 09:46 AM
top shots mate, keep it up

boggy2006
28th February 2011, 10:32 AM
thanks for all your comments, had great fun out there. Only an hour's drive from Melbourne CBD, but feels like another world!

The Disco with the tyre popped off the rim did show how it can go pear shaped though, and it pays to be prepared (they were). Spent some time in the evening thinking what I would do in that situation with the equipment I had.