PDA

View Full Version : Conversion from TB45 to TB48 on a GU

Zhing1
12th October 2014, 10:45 PM
Has anyone done this. I hear is the most practical thing to do if you want better performance and fuel economy rather than spending money on ECU upgrades, Collectors and exhaust upgrades and air intake upgrades. What are your thoughts guys. The objective is a add a little spice to a daily drive with occasional off roading fun. please share your thoughts on this?

Family4x4
12th October 2014, 10:56 PM
TD42 If you can afford it!

Zhing1
12th October 2014, 10:59 PM
Haha. You're right mate! TD42 is the best. But just for discussion sake, what are all of your thoughs on the TB48?

jff45
13th October 2014, 09:52 AM
There's not much difference in fuel consumption between those 2 engines. I can get my 4.5 auto under 17 lts/100 on a trip with good use of TC lockup and being sensible.

I would imagine a conversion to a 4.8 auto would cost you more than your current 4.5 auto is worth. The 4.8 is OBDII so anything related to diagnostics would need to be swapped in. I would imagine you'd need a complete donor car so you get the whole loom and dash, etc.

You don't sound very mechanically minded so I'm guessing you would need to be paying someone to do it.

Did you really hear that it was the most practical conversion to do? It would be the most expensive extra 30 kW you could buy, I think..

v502
13th October 2014, 11:36 PM
Its been done, but you're probably going to need all the related wiring, but sounds expensive for that little extra power.

bushwacker
14th October 2014, 12:37 AM
Just turbo the 4.5lt cheaper and more torque and power plus less hassle on light throttle should be good on juice too

Zhing1
15th October 2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys. I'm in the Philippines. There aren't much choices on engine performance upgrade like turbos and ECU tuning. A TB48 here will cost around 3k AUD installed. Would you guys kindly share with me the prices of turbo kits and ECU upgrades/Tuning if I purchase them there?