PDA

View Full Version : Best axle ratio for patrol GU with TB45 Auto Trans

Zhing1
12th October 2014, 10:31 PM
Hi guys. I have a 2001 GU with TB45 mated to an Automatic Tranny. I've been looking online for the data on what is the axle gear ratio of my rig. Some say it's 4.11 and some say it's 4.3. Some guys tell me that if I swap my axle gear from a patrol with a ZD engine, I can enjoy better acceleration and fuel economy. Care to shed some light on this? What's the best axle ratio for a rig that will do mostly highway and city duty activities.

nissannewby
12th October 2014, 10:41 PM
The ratio will be on your compliance plate under the trans axle code. It will read hg** the 2 digits are referring to the ratio so if it has 41 then it's 4.11:1. As for what's best for your vehicle depends on the setup tyres etc etc.

Zhing1
12th October 2014, 10:50 PM
I'd like to run 31s or 32s. No steel bumpers. Maybe a 2" lift. What's the best ratio for this. There's a guy here selling me a regear kit that's 5.11. Is this gonna work for me?

MudRunnerTD
12th October 2014, 11:05 PM
No.

As Newby said your compliance plate will provide you the details of your current setup. If your happy running 31s or 32s then Nissan provided you the best ratio for that size tyres.

5.11!!! Wow! Have never heard this ratio but if I was building an Arctic Truck running 44" tyres then the 5.11 would be nice.

You will likely have 3.9s or 4.11. If you were going to run 285 (33) you might consider jumpin 0.2 on whatever ratio you have from factory for a nice upgrade. I wld not touch them if your happy running 31s

Zhing1
12th October 2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks MudRunnerGT. I was kinda suspicious on the 5.11s too. I'm just looking for the best set up for my rig as a daily drive for my urban routine. People tell me that with my current tires I can enjoy better acceleration if I increase my axle ratio to a higher value. Care to give tips on how high can I go with my current tires?

nissannewby
12th October 2014, 11:30 PM
With your setup and if your really set on changing them then only go up 1 ratio so if you have 3.9 the go to 4.11.

The ratio is also stamped on the crown wheel.

Zhing1
15th October 2014, 11:14 AM
Sorry to sound like ignorant but can you guys kindly direct me to where to find the compliance plate and crown wheel? Cheers!

BigRAWesty
15th October 2014, 01:38 PM
The plate is under the bonnet on the firewall. In aus ours is on passenger side. (I think)
And the crown wheel (or gear) is the large disc gear in your diff.

Zhing1
16th October 2014, 09:26 AM
I just checked my rig. The compliance or ID plate at the firewall is missing. I got my rig from a.friend. I guess I'll try my luck at the crown cover.