PDA

View Full Version : Any one use a awning tent???

threedogs
10th October 2014, 03:58 PM
As I'm selling my camper I'm thinking of either one of those awning tents or the cheaper version of the 30 second tent

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191209452332?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121108609080?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

just need something that's simple to use and light weight as well,
was going to buy a small caravan but I'm over towing,
the other alternative is to get a tarp made to wrap around the awning frame

Clunk
10th October 2014, 04:16 PM
WA 489 bought ODs off him and has used it a few times, hopefully he see this

fitzyfootlong
10th October 2014, 04:31 PM
I have looked at them at ARB, pretty good value for money, I think they were $269.00. They were still a couple of weeks away when I was looking. I'm keen on them too, saves setting up the camper trailer for one night stays!

Winnie
10th October 2014, 04:42 PM
I would not like that at all. PITA if you want to move the car for something.
I've got this tent and I love it. It is so easy to set up.

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-store/products/Wild-Country-320-Tourer-Tent-6-Person.aspx?pid=252827#Cross

threedogs
10th October 2014, 04:48 PM
Mate has the 4 peg one pole pyramid tent but they are a bulky item when packed about 900 x 900 x200 Ok if you have a roof rack,plus they weigh a bit as well
Not knocking them as easy as to erect, That's why I thought the 30 second tent may be better, still move the Patrol if required.
, downside is they are 2mtrs long packed,

Winnie
10th October 2014, 05:11 PM
Yeah Darren's is massive when packed. Again no good if you don't have a roof rack. I throw my tent on the back seat

Clunk
10th October 2014, 05:49 PM

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-store/products/Wild-Country-320-Tourer-Tent-6-Person.aspx?pid=252827#Cross

yeah but the awning ones would work well for an over nighter where you knew you weren't going to be driving off anywhere after set up. Too small for me & the clan but ok for a couple.

But yes, I also like my new tent.......

Cuppa
10th October 2014, 06:20 PM
You’ve lost the plot TD. Them canvas things with pegs n ropes n poles n stuff...... and laying on the ground .............maaate that’s all for the young guns, not old farts like you & me. And you with a bad back to boot. You’re nuts! what’s made you even think about getting rid of the camper?

Best tents I’ve owned was centre pole affair with similar design to Winnie’s & the OzTent RV3 I currently have ........ but even the best tent is a ......tent!

A lot to be said for a permanently made up bed......... & minimising set up & pack up times as much as possible.

Keep your camper I reckon.

threedogs
10th October 2014, 07:19 PM
Mate the way I see it is I don't need it I only need it to take Phil and Cons gear.
And that's a lot, they take heaps, I love the camper and with only my gear in it it would be great.
Phil and con take about 200kg plus of gear I keep telling them to cull but falls on deaf ears.
All Phils gear alone fills his ute plus the front seat, that much gear

Clunk
10th October 2014, 07:30 PM

Damn that's cheap right now

threedogs
10th October 2014, 07:36 PM
Damn that's cheap right now

I have plenty of tents I don't need another one

megatexture
10th October 2014, 07:54 PM
My mate has an oztrail one and its crap.. You can almost see through the walls!

Edit: oztrail awning tent

AB
10th October 2014, 08:04 PM

Perfect for touring, I have the same, on the Simpson trip with daily set up and pack up Winnie and I were ready to roll out of camp or sit back and watch everyone else.

Avo
10th October 2014, 08:41 PM
we love it TD,but like everything they have there uses..we use ours regulary,kids in the rooftop us in the awning..it's not a problem about needing to shift the car if you set up later in the evening when having a couple of quiet ones.we have also got all four of us in it aswell before..

threedogs
10th October 2014, 08:47 PM
we love it TD,but like everything they have there uses..we use ours regulary,kids in the rooftop us in the awning..it's not a problem about needing to shift the car if you set up later in the evening when having a couple of quiet ones.we have also got all four of us in it aswell before..

that's what I'm talking about thanks, reasonably weather proof, ??

Avo
10th October 2014, 08:51 PM
Meh,we did wake up with water in in the other weekend but mate it p!ssed down non stop(meetup),we weren't wet but it did get in..so yeah reasonably weather proof..we use this set up quite often rather than drag the camper trailer around.but that to depends on the situation..ours all gets put ion a bag no bigger than a sleeping bag after many times used to so that's a plus.

Winnie
10th October 2014, 08:58 PM
Perfect for touring, I have the same, on the Simpson trip with daily set up and pack up Winnie and I were ready to roll out of camp or sit back and watch everyone else.

Tent up and down in under 5 mins. Can't complain! It takes me less time to set up my tent than it does when I swag trip because I set the swag up on a stretcher under my awning.

liftlid
11th October 2014, 08:42 AM
Don't understand the point to an awning tent, same setup time as a touring or oztrail, awnings are heavy so you still have the weight on your roof, can't setup and leave camp in the car and you loose the purpose of having an awning in the first place, weather protection.

Clunk
11th October 2014, 11:35 AM
Don't understand the point to an awning tent, same setup time as a touring or oztrail, awnings are heavy so you still have the weight on your roof, can't setup and leave camp in the car and you loose the purpose of having an awning in the first place, weather protection.

Some may say well what's the point in a swag or a camper or caravan or RV etc...... Each have their purpose and it's all about choice

liftlid
11th October 2014, 02:02 PM
Some may say well what's the point in a swag or a camper or caravan or RV etc...... Each have their purpose and it's all about choice

Choice ? Or just doing something different to be different?
There is a good reason why some things are popular , they just work!

threedogs
11th October 2014, 02:56 PM
With the milder weather coming up I think I'll resurrect my original swag {not domed}
invest in a 80cm wide stretcher and sleep on that. I already have two sheep skins in the
Patrol I can use as an mattress. all that would not take up much room. Pyrimad tents are good I've had one years ago
but too bulky IMO if you are packing for two or more.
if it pisses down, the weekends over anyway so Ill come home.
I like what Winnie does as I only want to pack for one, but still need to take other gear
for all to use. like our big tarp and fire grate and fire irons, camp ovens , lights etc.
might even just get a tarp made and tie it to the weather side of the awning

Wizard52
11th October 2014, 03:26 PM
With the milder weather coming up I think I'll resurrect my original swag {not domed}
invest in a 80cm wide stretcher and sleep on that. I already have two sheep skins in the
Patrol I can use as an mattress. all that would not take up much room. Pyrimad tents are good I've had one years ago
but too bulky IMO if you are packing for two or more.
if it pisses down, the weekends over anyway so Ill come home.
I like what Winnie does as I only want to pack for one, but still need to take other gear
for all to use. like our big tarp and fire grate and fire irons, camp ovens , lights etc.
might even just get a tarp made and tie it to the weather side of the awning

I also was thinking of a light tarp to go down one side and perhaps a bit around the corner for my awning for weather protection. I have the bed set up inside the canopy on the ute so that makes it even easier. Can be in bed if weather is crap in about 30 seconds.

oncedisturbed
11th October 2014, 09:55 PM

Glad its getting some use bud, wouldve gone to waste if we kept it

Avo
11th October 2014, 11:02 PM
Glad its getting some use bud, wouldve gone to waste if we kept it

I even upgraded it....put it on the GU

Like the plug there OD

oncedisturbed
11th October 2014, 11:55 PM
Hoodie looks the goods