PDA

View Full Version : Gq Auto gearboxes on TD42 with Turbo

gubigfish
8th October 2014, 12:18 PM
Does anyone else have one of these and have you done any modifications to the computer etc to get it to change better? Also where is the computer located and is it a simple matter of programming?

Also any reccomended mods?

The old bloke I bought it off said he had the transmission rebuilt not long before I bought it and to me it seems to change nice but last time I had it in for a service the Mechanics reckoned it wasn't shifting great and would need work.

the evil twin
8th October 2014, 02:21 PM
TCU is behind the pax kick panel

Best mod I ever did was a Torque Converter Manual Lock up Switch ($25 or so DIY or $150 to 250 ish if you get a kit).

If you want the shift or performance of the Tranny improved then Wholesale Automatics is a good place to start for upgraded valve bodies or whatever

gubigfish
10th October 2014, 07:59 PM
Thank you oh wise E.t. I shall have a talk with Wholesale and find out the cost of one of these valve bodies

nissannewby
10th October 2014, 08:15 PM
Thank you oh wise E.t. I shall have a talk with Wholesale and find out the cost of one of these valve bodies

Also get in contact with kewish autos. They have a very good rep with the patrol auto.

I haven't changed anything on the auto in the one I have as it seems to work well enough with the small turbo setup that is fitted to it.

Pezzer
7th April 2015, 06:54 PM
Hey nissannewby what size turbo are you running, im about to turbo mine but want to keep the auto...

NissanGQ4.2
7th April 2015, 07:00 PM
Hey nissannewby what size turbo are you running, im about to turbo mine but want to keep the auto...

Not sure if Matt gets on here much these days, you might be better of sending him a PM kindly asking your question.

nissannewby
7th April 2015, 07:11 PM

It currently just runs a safari turbo setup. I have a mdded pump to go on and the near future then when funds permit a larger turbo will go on.

What are you doing in regards to the turbo setup? Big dollars or just a mild reliable tourer?

Pezzer
7th April 2015, 08:51 PM
Hi I just pull 22 25ft boats around so I am fitting an 11mm diesel pump and a Yanguawa 18g but I want to retain the auto, mine was originally a carby 4.2 then I ran the fuel injection, posted all the build on here. But there are many hills etc so I want a reliable Tug with a bit of puff...My mechanic is concerned about the flexi plate matching...

nissannewby
7th April 2015, 09:03 PM
Ok. Thay setup should work ok. I would prob look at running the 8cm housing with that turbo as the auto helps get the turbo going.

The flex plate wont match you will need a genuine td42 one from nissan or have one made. Its generally cheaper to get one made.

Pezzer
9th April 2015, 08:36 AM
Looking around yesterday yes very hard to find a flexplate, could you tell me who makes them?, thanks...