PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket or Rocker Cover

alltorque
7th October 2014, 11:31 PM
G'day all, Just wondering if anyone can help? Got an mk 84 L28. Just the other week my 12 month old alty crapped it, turns out there was oil dripping on it. So I chased the leak, up around the power steering pump checked it and it's not it. So looked a little harder and found what looks like a leak coming from the head gasket just above where the lower radiator hose attaches to the block. Is that even possible i didn't think oil could penetrate the water jacket like that? Another thing is my oil is crystal clean and the engine isn't using any water or over heating. I'm thinking it's the rocker cover but can't find any hard evidence it is? any idea's would be great Cheers. :smileyvault-cute-bi

NP99
7th October 2014, 11:40 PM
Degrease the engine mate and check a day or two later for fresh leaks.

alltorque
8th October 2014, 01:04 AM
That's the thing my bay is spotless. The brackets from the power steering pump to the block (and an earth) are obstructing the two only possible places the oil could be coming from. I think what I really need to know is if oil can leak from an external crack in the head gasket too outside the block. I'm hoping not'