PDA

View Full Version : Day Trip 11/10/14

Rossco
6th October 2014, 08:04 PM
Looking at heading out for a drive / play on the weekend (Saturday or could do Sunday). The 4WD in the shop at the moment getting the lockers put in and should be ready soon, so looking at having a bit of a test. Probably head up Toolangi maybe via Pauls Range, up Rocky track, then check out Reds east and west tracks, then see what happens.

This will be a tougher drive, Reds tracks and rocky at least one locker is helpful, and so is self recovery. Anyone is welcome to come along, however these tracks have the potential for damage so a reasonably well set up car and experience is necessary - drive at own risk.

Bloodyaussie
6th October 2014, 08:07 PM
You have to run the locker in dont you??

Rossco
6th October 2014, 08:08 PM
That is running it in.

I'll check with the shop. Was probably going to do some K's in the week.

AB
6th October 2014, 08:19 PM
You have to run the locker in dont you??

I had to run 1000 with the lokka, not sure on arb air locker.

I'm out for Saturday but could catch up with ya's in the arvo pending.

Dropping the highmount down to Mr T's

Bloodyaussie
6th October 2014, 08:22 PM
My schedule is so full lately its crazy... car gets dropped off tomorrow and I am too scared to think about it?

My Locker I had to run in for 1000km then drop the oil and then I could go full tilt.

Family4x4
6th October 2014, 08:34 PM
Could possibly do Saturday.

Rossco
6th October 2014, 08:38 PM
Picking it up tommorow so I'll see. Could do a Sunday if that works better. Have to do a small job early sat anyway.

Will connfirm tomorrow.

Family4x4
7th October 2014, 12:24 AM
We can't make it that weekend. Have fun good luck with the locker.

jay see
7th October 2014, 09:21 AM
Haven't got much on that weekend, for a change, but I'm still rolling as a stockie. I know my limitations so I'll wait till I'm better set up.

Rossco
7th October 2014, 01:36 PM
Hi jay see yeah probably not best for a stockie but im sure there'll but plenty more trips soon. Im always up for a bash.

Just spoke to Yarra Valley 4wd and yes oil change after 1000 Ks. This is to get rid of any filings and metal as things bed in especially ratios (crown wheel & pinion) which I am doing. As these bed in a fair bit of metal will come off and the oil will most likey be very dirty and silver when it comes out, however this is normal. Apart from this they are ready to use straght away no problems. However like most things there are differing opinions out there even from experts and mechanics, but I am happy with this and trust these guys so all good.

Rossco
10th October 2014, 10:21 PM
Still planning to head out for a drive, probably around lunch time Saturday if anyone is keen. Will be heading off from Yarra Glen to Toolangi via Pauls Range.

MudRunnerTD
10th October 2014, 10:49 PM
Hey Rossco, are you going AirLockers mate? Nice one. Is your compressor mounted in the car or under the bonnet? If they are fitting it under the passenger seat make sure they fit vent tubes on each of the Solenoids or you will have the foul smell of hot diff oil in your cab. Sux. Easy and ahold come standard if they are cab mounted.

I am not aware of a run-in time needed for AirLockers? I certainly went out and played as soon as they were fitted.

Rossco
10th October 2014, 11:42 PM
Yeah compressor is under bonnet. Air Lockers are in as well as 4.6 ratios. So far they are great, the car is more drivable, I have low range back and the speedo is pretty close to what it should be.

Speaking to the guys at the shop the main thing with running in diffs is to vary the speed so bearings and teeth don't wear in one pattern. Lockers are good to go tho.

MudRunnerTD
10th October 2014, 11:54 PM
Nice one mate, you will love the 4.6s. Are they new or second hand? If you found some second hand ones they should not need bedding in.

mudski
11th October 2014, 12:10 AM
Hey Rossco, are you going AirLockers mate? Nice one. Is your compressor mounted in the car or under the bonnet? If they are fitting it under the passenger seat make sure they fit vent tubes on each of the Solenoids or you will have the foul smell of hot diff oil in your cab. Sux. Easy and ahold come standard if they are cab mounted.

I am not aware of a run-in time needed for AirLockers? I certainly went out and played as soon as they were fitted.

I have my compressor under the passengers seat and I haven't had the hot oil smell at all. The compressor won't run long enough for the oil to get hot enough, IMHO. But anyways. no smell from my compressor.

threedogs
11th October 2014, 08:23 AM
I think only the ARB locker vents back into the cabin.
I have ARB and PRO-locker good to go from the start.
I too would drop oil if bedding in new gears,

You'll love the locker completely new style of driving, enjoy

happygu
11th October 2014, 08:41 AM
I have my compressor under the passengers seat and I haven't had the hot oil smell at all. The compressor won't run long enough for the oil to get hot enough, IMHO. But anyways. no smell from my compressor.

Mark,

The smell isnt compressor oil smell, it is hot diff oil smell, which can be quite fun

Rossco
11th October 2014, 08:42 AM
Cheers guys the gears are new, I went a bit crazy with the $$$$$$ !!

Yeah looking forward to getting the feel for the lockers sould be bloody good!!

lucus30
11th October 2014, 09:47 AM
Cheers guys the gears are new, I went a bit crazy with the $$$$$$ !!

Yeah looking forward to getting the feel for the lockers sould be bloody good!!

Still planning to head out today mate?

Rossco
11th October 2014, 09:54 AM
Yeah mate. 12.30 at Yarra Glen for head off.

Drewboyaus
11th October 2014, 12:37 PM
Have a cracking day ya mongrels! Love to be out there today....an absolute pearler.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

mudski
11th October 2014, 09:50 PM
Mark,

The smell isnt compressor oil smell, it is hot diff oil smell, which can be quite fun

Yeah I realised that once I re the post again. But I don't get any smell at all.

Rossco
11th October 2014, 10:06 PM
Cheers Drew,

So it was just me and the dog that went out, but we had fun and it was a good chance to test out the new lockers and get a feel of how to use them.

Lockers are amazing, very impressed, and so are the ratios, so glad I did these also, having proper low range again is great, just so much more controlled.

Bloody nice day, saw a few people out there but pretty quiet tho, everyone must have been watching Bathurst. There were quite a few camping along Murrindindi camping areas, it's getting quite popular there now.

Here's a few photos.

There's a fair step up the top of the little hill climb on Wee Creek track now.

Some flex shots at the top of Reds East track. . . . Why not!!

Logging track near the top of Aeroplane track that went nowhere. Nice views looking towards Narbethong way tho.

So ended up going through Pauls Range, then up Rocky Track, down Wee Ck track, along Marginal up Reds west then back down it, up Reds east, up Aeroplane halfway to where it is gated, then back down to Marginal through to Murrindindi then through to Narbethong and the Highway.

MudRunnerTD
11th October 2014, 10:27 PM
Livin the dream!!!

Stropp
12th October 2014, 12:51 AM
Looks nice rossco, I see the dog was looking out the window like he was saying let me out dad.

krbrooking
12th October 2014, 09:19 AM
Looks like you had a great day man, was an awesome day for it. Wish I could have joined you.

Drewboyaus
12th October 2014, 09:39 AM
Mate, those lockers must be good! No too many prepared to stop on Reds East for a flex shot or two (most folks have their date sucking them to the seat). LMAO......
Nice one!

Rossco
12th October 2014, 09:51 AM
Yeah lockers do make a very big difference, very impressive. All those tracks were a relative breeze so much more controlled and heaps easier on the truck too you don't have to trash it to get up. Also don't have to stress to pick the best line, you've got heaps more options of where you want to go.

lucus30
12th October 2014, 10:14 AM
I should have joined you also I guess next time

Patrol-Guy
12th October 2014, 10:17 AM
So still learning here, when you get lockers installed do you have to get front and rear lockers installed or can you just get either front or back installed?

And what what sort of dollars are we talking?

Drewboyaus
12th October 2014, 10:30 AM
Also don't have to stress to pick the best line, you've got heaps more options of where you want to go.

I reckon that's a good reason to learn to wheel before installing lockers. Learn what the safest/best line looks like first before you can drive yourself into a world of trouble.

Drewboyaus
12th October 2014, 10:33 AM
So still learning here, when you get lockers installed do you have to get front and rear lockers installed or can you just get either front or back installed? And what what sort of dollars are we talking?

Mate, you can do either/or. Roughly set you back about $1600 per end installed.

Rossco
12th October 2014, 10:47 AM
I should have joined you also I guess next time

Yep, I'm always keen for a next time tho!!

So still learning here, when you get lockers installed do you have to get front and rear lockers installed or can you just get either front or back installed?

And what what sort of dollars are we talking?

There are quite a few different options available to choose from with lockers. You can get either front or rear or both. If you just do one there are differing opinions as to which one is best, but most people go with the front, especially as the rear Nissan LSD is very good for a LSD.

Also there are different brands some of which differ in operation quite a lot. There are manual lockers, such as the ARB air locker which you turn on and off as you need them with a switch in the cab. These are operated by a compressor, but there are also electronically solenoid operated lockers such as the E Locker which work in much the same way, just have a switch to turn them on and off.

Then there auto lockers, such as the Detroit locker, which just do their thing themselves, however these are not best suited to the rear as they can effect handling and be noisy when they lock and unlock automatically, in the front they are more manageable as they will only be working in 4WD.

As far as $$ go depends on which option you get. ARB lockers are about $1,200.00 each, plus $300.00 for a compressor. Then it will probably cost about $500 to $1,000.00 to put in depending on if you end up replacing more stuff such as swivel hub seals diff bearing and so on. ARB stuff is on the upper end of the scale, there are cheaper options out there, all comes down to personal choice at the end of the day.