PDA

View Full Version : Useless touring accessories I have installed

liftlid
6th October 2014, 08:37 AM
Thought I would start a thread dedicated to the accessories that sounded good at the time but after using them realised didn't really suit my needs! And the reasons why .
Be aware that others may love these items that make their trips more enjoyable so play nice!

To start off my awning is a pain and I'm sorry I ever purchased one. Going to put it on my camper instead why?
It's heavy.
Possibly only been used 6 times in the last 40,000 touring km's .
It's to small when raining.
Never enough shadow when sunny
Used to use a freedom tent tarp that covered a bigger area for rain.
Cost a fortune in extra fuel to lug around.
Always worried I will take it out on a tree on tight tracks.

So there you go!
Hopefully the future posts will help others considering the pros and cons of purchasing accessories!

Bloodyaussie
6th October 2014, 08:55 AM
I totally agree on the awning.... got mine for my 40th and never used it properly in anger... it only got me angry..lol

Fitted an AM radio...

I am sure there are many more.

liftlid
6th October 2014, 08:57 AM
AM radio?
There must be a story behind that?

Winnie
6th October 2014, 08:59 AM
I like my awning but I do wish they made them bigger... 2.5x2 is not big enough. I would like a 3x2.5
I use mine more on boys trips to set the swag up underneath. Also good for cooking in the rain.

Winnie
6th October 2014, 09:00 AM
I like my awning but I do wish they made them bigger... 2.5x2 is not big enough. I would like a 3x2.5
I use mine more on boys trips to set the swag up underneath. Also good for cooking in the rain.

Making sand flags with electrical conduit... Bad idea! Don't be a tight ass Winnie and buy a real one

liftlid
6th October 2014, 09:11 AM

Always worried with running roof racks on harder trips as I've damaged the gutters many times and would hate to write off a roof rack and awning. Ok maybe not the awning!!!!

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2014, 10:32 AM
Always worried with running roof racks on harder trips as I've damaged the gutters many times and would hate to write off a roof rack and awning. Ok maybe not the awning!!!!

I remember having to go back up an extreme track cause you LOST YOUR ROOF RACK!

liftlid
6th October 2014, 10:33 AM
I remember having to go back up an extreme track cause you LOST YOUR ROOF RACK!

Hehe. What a shame more driving

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2014, 10:35 AM
Love my Awnings. have 2 on the GUIV and they are great. I dont use them a heap but when i need them they are fantastic.

I have fair skin and need shade. i use them for shade at lunch stops. I used the back one to shade the back of the car and the fridges when static camping for the win.

The week i spent up at Woodspoint in the winter it was great. 3 cars all had them, we circled the camp fire and were nearly touching corners. had a camp fire in the middle and all the smoke went up the centre, we all sat under awnings and had a great night.

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2014, 10:38 AM
My Useless......

When i did my GQ rebuild i spent a heap of time and effort nutting out an amazing Air system including no less than 5 switches and isolating air solenoids. Was Sooooo proud of it.

So...... get int eh car now and it turns out for me to pump up my tyres i have to have this isolated and that turned off and this switched to that and well bugger me dead! It was a fail and would take 5 minutes of checking for air in the wrong places to know it was set right. I am in the middle of stripping it all out and revamping it right now.

threedogs
6th October 2014, 10:43 AM
this is more like a product review, what works and what doesn't.
Bummer but you need to buy it first if you think its a great idea.
Only to find its another lot of $$$$ down the drain.
I take heaps of stuff to try , but cant pinpoint one that's failed .
I'm sure there are plenty , thinking cap on.
I make most stuff I take.
got it one of those silicon handles you use to lift hot pots with, don't buy one, too big for most pot/fry pan handles.
Not installed but brought to make life easier , not

liftlid
6th October 2014, 06:23 PM
this is more like a product review, what works and what doesn't.
Bummer but you need to buy it first if you think its a great idea.
Only to find its another lot of $$$$ down the drain.
I take heaps of stuff to try , but cant pinpoint one that's failed .
I'm sure there are plenty , thinking cap on.
I make most stuff I take.
got it one of those silicon handles you use to lift hot pots with, don't buy one, too big for most pot/fry pan handles.
Not installed but brought to make life easier , not

Yeah not sure what you trying to say above !
It's not a product review as I'm not asking for specific branded items .
Just things you originally thought would be a good idea when you got them but turned out being just another thing you lug around!

AB
6th October 2014, 06:35 PM
Before the camper we had the fold out stretcher and inflatable double blow up bed.

Takes up too much space, too long to set up and is absolutely freezing to sleep on.

Sleeping on a double blow up double bed with your misses is not good.

Winnie
6th October 2014, 06:39 PM
Before the camper we had the fold out stretcher and inflatable double blow up bed.

Takes up too much space, too long to set up and is absolutely freezing to sleep on.

We tried that and no good! We have a double self inflating mattress now and it's great. Also good for me on solo trips.

growler2058
6th October 2014, 06:46 PM
Staun tyre deflators. SH!T

Stropp
6th October 2014, 06:46 PM

so AB what you are saying is its better to sleep with Jonathan :) pml

AB
6th October 2014, 06:58 PM
so AB what you are saying is its better to sleep with Jonathan :) pml

He likes to spoon, huge difference!!!!

sooty_10
6th October 2014, 07:29 PM
He likes to spoon, huge difference!!!!

Definitely wouldn't get cold then..

sooty_10
6th October 2014, 07:31 PM
Most useless thing I've toured with would have been the highlift jack, stays at home mainly now, but I can see the limited benefits of one.

macca
6th October 2014, 07:59 PM
Awning walls, they are a pain but have had a night in foul weather that we were glad we had them. Away for 6 weeks last year and probably only used the awning 2 or 3 times.

The real waste of time has been the second spare. We have been outback 8 times travelling over 45000 klm, never had a flat, did cop a slow leak from a screw in a tyre at Tibooburra but that was it.

BUT we use a TPMS, that gives us warning of any problems with the tyres.

Still can not bring myself to leave the second spare at home, yet. :)

lucus30
6th October 2014, 08:04 PM
Macca I don't have awning walls but I find my gazebo walls are fantastic. At this stage I can't honestly think of anything useless i've bought

BigRAWesty
6th October 2014, 08:05 PM
Most unless item I was actually given.
A fold up shovel.
What a pos!!!
Nearly farked it first use. And ain't nothing worse than a useless shovel when you turtle neckin..

And another thing.
After market egg holders.!!!!
The box does how many thousands of kilometres so why do you need anything different.
Wasted money, and lost more easily in the pos compared to the normal egg carton...

taslucas
6th October 2014, 08:20 PM

..........best sentence ever!

The box does how many thousands of kilometres so why do you need anything different.
Wasted money, and lost more easily in the pos compared to the normal egg carton...

Lol......

Bloodyaussie
6th October 2014, 08:33 PM
I agree with the egg thingy but as for folding shovel you need a genuine german in trenching tool.... top bit of kit.

BigRAWesty
6th October 2014, 08:38 PM
Think I'll just stick to my full size shovel on the roof rack

sooty_10
6th October 2014, 08:45 PM
I agree with the egg thingy but as for folding shovel you need a genuine german in trenching tool.... top bit of kit.

I've used the good 'ole Entrenching tool to dig some big holes and they are quite capable even in hard ground. But I'd still prefer a decent long handle shovel for any 4wding I do.

TPC
6th October 2014, 10:37 PM
I agree Westy, I used those stupid egg holders on a Simpson trip in 2002 and lost all the eggs, have used the cartons they come in since and rarely lose any.

Wizard52
18th October 2014, 02:45 PM
Most useless thing I've toured with would have been the highlift jack, stays at home mainly now, but I can see the limited benefits of one.

X2 not required on Fraser ever but will probably need it one day and it will be in shed at home

the evil twin
18th October 2014, 03:00 PM
Can't make up my mind so IMHO it is a deadheat for totally useless shit between...

Plastic Egg Holders - should actually be sold as automatic egg scrambler with added calcium (the shells)

High lift Jack - should actually be sold as scrap metal

2nd Spare fully mounted - I just throw a carcass on if I am going bush for extended periods as 35's can be hard to find

Annex Floor - never used one camping but make a reasonable slip and slide for the toddlers in the back yard

Fold up shovel - see Hi lift jack

Plastic POS Porta Potti - never been used but my folding style thunderbox has... lots

Stropp
18th October 2014, 09:39 PM
My most useless thing is the passenger seat, no bastard been in it since I bought the recaros.

macca
19th October 2014, 07:38 AM
My most useless thing is the passenger seat, no bastard been in it since I bought the recaros.

Be careful what you wish for, once they hop in you might not be able to get rid of them LOL

threedogs
19th October 2014, 07:55 AM

have to agree with the hi-lift jack with my other 4x4 it was ok but of little use now with the GU,
mind you I have 3 one is an original Trewella, one is a new OX brand and the first one
I brought is the Hi-lift brand, Great for pulling out fence posts though

Very dangerous in the hands of a new comer, not called "widow makers" for nothing

phtest
24th March 2015, 01:50 PM
Had a blow up bed in the back, Wife got in 1st and the bed was so high her face was touching the roof. Then I jump in like a ballet dancing gazelle and it burst. Please no joke about too much pies lol

threedogs
24th March 2015, 03:25 PM
Be careful what you wish for, once they hop in you might not be able to get rid of them LOL
this could be the perfect co-driver for you stropp.
sorry wrong pic BBWWwaaahhhhhhh

SonOf
24th March 2015, 06:25 PM

Yup never know

the evil twin
24th March 2015, 06:31 PM
Boobies !!! .... nom nom nom

Bigcol
24th March 2015, 10:52 PM
X10000 for the Hi-lift jack only been used 3 times in the last 4 years, and that was to hold up some horizontal posts while I screwed them in

also

x10000 for the yellow egg thingys..........
seen almost every third person walking out of the Camec stall at the Cvan & Camping show with them -
only thing they are good for is if your needing somewhere for seedlings to germinate

Stropp
25th March 2015, 12:07 AM

Yup never know

He would not fit into my recaro, in fact probably wouldn't fit in both my recaros lol